It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Milk and Wheat Allergies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
    MilkNWheat

MilkNWheat HB User
    Unhappy Milk and Wheat Allergies

I just found out this week that I am allergic to Milk and What... this is very upseting since everything I love and eat has both in it.

My noese has been clogged for years and at the same time it runs

I have more gas then a gas bollon (non stop)

Those are the main things that have been happening to me so I figured I should go to the ENT and find out what was wrong with my noes to start... well he did the allergy test on me and I had a reaction to the Milk and Wheat (hence the name).

Anyway, how many others are allergic? What did you do with your diet? What do you eat now?

HELP!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Milk and Wheat Allergies

That stinks!

In order for you to stay healthy and not lose tons of weight, look into Spelt bread instead of regular. Soy Milk or Rice Dream can replace regular milk.

Brown rice pasta is decent. Rice cakes with almond butter on them is a good snack.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
    Dragon68

Dragon68 HB User

You're not alone. Wheat and most grains (except white rice) cause allergic asthma for me and breads and cereals consisted of 50% of my diet until last year. Since eliminating them from my diet I feel alive again. I take a small bowl of cereal or a little bread from time to time though.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

Do you guys also get nasal cingestion with your allergies. I have been trying to find out what the heck is wrong with me for almost three years. When you have a food allergy, does it just affect your stomach, or can you have nasal congestion and sinus problems? How did you guys find out you had a food allergy? My dr told me there was no allergist I could see, can they run a blood test? I have nausea all the time, but my sinus problems are real bad. They make me lightheaded ALL the time and my ears ans throat hurt a lot too. Thanks for your help

Old 09-10-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
    Cut-Throat
    (male)

Cut-Throat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monarchangel
    Do you guys also get nasal cingestion with your allergies. I have been trying to find out what the heck is wrong with me for almost three years. When you have a food allergy, does it just affect your stomach, or can you have nasal congestion and sinus problems? How did you guys find out you had a food allergy? My dr told me there was no allergist I could see, can they run a blood test? I have nausea all the time, but my sinus problems are real bad. They make me lightheaded ALL the time and my ears ans throat hurt a lot too. Thanks for your help
    Don't quite follow you here. Your Dr. told you "there was no allergist I could see" - It's free country Man! - Yes, they can do a blood test for allergies, and I would interview the allergist before making an appointment!

Old 09-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

There is no allergist in the network of dr's I can see under my health insurance. I would have to pay, that's why I was wondering if they could check the blood because that is covered. I'm going to call my dr to make an appointment because my allergies are out of control and I have already spent so much money trying to help myself. That's why I think it's something more than just seasonal allergies

Old 09-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
    MilkNWheat

MilkNWheat HB User

Well, I had nasal congestion for YEARS I'm talking MANY I can't recall the last time in my life my nose was not congested...however it also runs at the same time!!! This is why I went to the ENT (Ears Noes and Throat) doctor. I thought I had something really wrong with my noes. Then he did the allergy tests on me.

can you get a referal from your reg. doctor to go to the ENT doctor?

Old 09-10-2004, 10:04 PM   #8
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

What type of test do they do to check for food allergies?

Old 09-11-2004, 05:53 AM   #9
    MilkNWheat

MilkNWheat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetsyAnn
    What type of test do they do to check for food allergies?
    For me the first tests were a 3 sided white plastic pice that priced my skin. They dipped it in some kind of consentration for the things they were testing me for. Then with in 10-15mins I think it was bumps would come if I had a reactions...like little misquito bites.

2nd test they brought me in and injected under my skin diluted fluides that were: corn, wheat, milk, soy, egg and I forget the last one... then with they set the timer for 5 mins. and have to messure the size of the bumps. My Milk and Wheat bump came back like a size 9 compaired to the other bumps which were a normal size 7.

the 2nd testing that I did was because I do a to take a 2 week food diary and my doctor saw how much I was consuming of these items and wanted to test further for it.

Last edited by MilkNWheat; 09-11-2004 at 05:54 AM.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

Do you know if they can do blood tests for allergies because I can't afford to see an allergist?

Old 09-11-2004, 11:10 PM   #11
    claireoz

claireoz HB User

There are some alternate allergists that are cheaper and often can be a LOT more helpful. I'm sure we have contacted each other before on this board and we have similar problems (mine are 24/7 foggy/dizzy feeling, ringing in ears and sinus pain. Not many intestinal symptoms but lots of gurgling and bloating after eating). Anyway, I have also spent SOOO much money and time at every doctor under the sun, but I had a niggling feeling in the back of my mind that kept reminding me how I was allergic to milk products til I was about 5, if I ever had them, my asthma would be out of control and I would get an upset tummy and headache, I guess i had more mucus production too. I finally went to this "alternative" allergist who actually used to be a nurse but had a similar problem to what we have and couldn't figure out what was wrong. She has been now practising in this allergy field for about 20 years and has helped thousands of people with our kind of problem. She actually uses an electrical testing machine which I think is called a VEGA machine. I don't get how it works but supposedly it's accurate. Anyway it came up for me that my biggest problem is actually candida! She says the readings are really high and this could produce the drunk, spacy feeling I have all the time, plus headaches and fatigue. I have to avoid a gammut of food for a while, including milk and wheat as the biggies, but if it gives me my life back I do not care at all!! You sound so similar to me that I would suggest you look into that sort of thing. I've only been on the diet and medication for 3 days so I can't actually tell you if it has worked for me, but I will be shouting it from the rooftops if it does!! Good luck with your quest. We really can't give up until we feel the way we did before we got sick, or at least something close to it, otherwise what is the point of trudging through life feeling crappy?? It's a surefire road to depression. Anyway, I'm here for you if you ever want to ask me anything.

Claire in Australia

Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #12
    smeg

smeg HB User

Hi all

I've had Multiple Sclerosis now for nigh-on 28 years. Over this time, I and my wife have discovered various changes to my diet that have been very beneficial. I have consulted various diet 'experts' with little real benefit and have concluded that you are your own best expert. This may take time and some suffering to begin with but you must learn to be your own detective or scientist if you can.

In my case, cow's milk and associated products will enormously exaggerate my difficulties and have therefore cut it out completely! Calcium can be obtained from a number of non-dairy foods or other food products not least fish. I have since detected that it is SATURATED FAT that does me in - hence the avoidance of the meat and by-products from normally farmed animals. I have detected that I can eat the meat of any game you care to mention (with impunity) whereas farmed beef, pork and lamb are big no-nos - now why is this? It raises a number of other questions which I will continue to try and find answers to, but not having a particularly knowledgeable or scientific mind, will take me some time. Eating fish is very good for many reasons!

As for wheat products, we did experiment with this. My wife insists that I was slightly better with excluding wheat products aswell but I concluded that the benefits were minimal compared with the hassle and cost. It is as well for me to be aware of this and I usually take a touch my mother's advice - EVERYTHING IN MODERATION or A LITTLE OF WHAT YOU FANCY DOES YOU GOOD! Come on - LIFE IS FOR LIVING!

I suppose I could go on.... and on... and on but I think this is enough for now - I'm boring myself!

Hope this is of some help. I really do sympathise with all you allergy-sufferers out there. Good luck! Smeg

Last edited by smeg; 09-12-2004 at 09:55 AM.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 AM   #13
    smeg

smeg HB User

[FONT=Times New Roman]Hi all

I've had Multiple Sclerosis now for nigh-on 28 years. Over this time, I and my wife have discovered various changes to my diet that have been very beneficial. I have consulted various diet 'experts' with little real benefit and have concluded that you are your own best expert. This may take time and some suffering to begin with but you must learn to be your own detective or scientist if you can.

In my case, cow's milk and associated products will enormously exaggerate my difficulties and have therefore cut it out completely! Calcium can be obtained from a number of non-dairy foods or food products from normally farmed animals. I have since detected that it is SATURATED FAT that does me no good - hence the avoidance of normally farmed animals. I have detected that I can eat the meat of any game you care to mention whereas farmed beef, pork and lamb are big no-nos - now why is this? It raises a number of other questions which I will continue to try and find answers to, but not having a particularly knowledgeable or scientific mind, will take me some time. Eating fish is very good for many reasons!

As for wheat products, we did experiment with this. My wife insists that I was slightly better with excluding wheat products as well but I concluded that the benefits were minimal compared with the hassle and cost. It is as well for me to be aware of this and I usually take a touch my mother's advice - EVERYTHING IN MODERATION or A LITTLE OF WHAT YOU FANCY DOES TOU GOOD!

I suppose I could go on and on and on but I think this is enough for now - I'm boring myself! Hope this is of some help. Smeg

Old 09-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

for MS the gluten free diet is the best and, as for the other allergies the gluten free diet is also the best and, beneficial..i strongly recommend this diet to all of you and, with time you will be able to reconsume the foods that you all love..except for wheat flour<<< this is the killer...

Old 09-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #15
    smeg

smeg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    for MS the gluten free diet is the best and, as for the other allergies the gluten free diet is also the best and, beneficial..i strongly recommend this diet to all of you and, with time you will be able to reconsume the foods that you all love..except for wheat flour<<< this is the killer...
    Been looking up your posts - very impressed. Will take your advice and try and persuade wife so that we can both start gluten free again. Perhaps I did dismiss it rather rapidly because of cost and inconvenience.

Thanks muchly for your inspiration. You must have loads of material on your posts by now. You'll have to start thinking about writing your own book and/or setting up your own web site. All you need to do then is refer to them on future posts (rules permitting). Earn yourself some dosh maybe?

Thanks again. Smeg

Closed Thread