It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Swelling hands= allergies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
    Redairrow

Redairrow HB User
    Swelling hands= allergies?

I have a great deal many allergies, thanks to a skin sensitivity that I was born with. I've gotten used to it, having learned the fun way what things to avoid(i.e. everything), and for the most part I just live with the allergic reactions and don't really notice the near-constant hives.

But here lately I've noticed if I go outside and get near the woods surrounding my home, my hands start burning and itching(the same feeling you get if they've gotten way too cold and they're starting to warm back up), and then they swell up like balloons. If I remain outside, my feet do the same. Yet there's no hives, itchy eyes, or runny nose... which usually tips me off to something I'm allergic to. I don't even have to touch anything to get the reaction. I'm going to assume it's a plant, but I'm unable to pinpoint which one.

Over-the-counter medicines for allergies tend to ease the itching and most of the burning, but the swelling can last for hours and render my hands useless. So my question is this: assuming this is an allergy(I have no idea what else it could be), is there anything I could soak my hands in the relieve the swelling? Or maybe something that I could put on them? Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Swelling hands= allergies?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redairrow
    I have a great deal many allergies, thanks to a skin sensitivity that I was born with.
    I also have skin sensitivity. But, for me, if pollens or irritants touch my skin, I'll have asthma problems, my heart will jump around or race, and my blood pressure will increase.

You have probably already cut out fabric softeners and detergents for your clothing and bedding and towels, but I just thought that I would check.

Quote:
    I've gotten used to it, having learned the fun way what things to avoid(i.e. everything), and for the most part I just live with the allergic reactions and don't really notice the near-constant hives.
    Gotten used to it? You have good coping skills.

Quote:
    But here lately I've noticed if I go outside and get near the woods surrounding my home, my hands start burning and itching(the same feeling you get if they've gotten way too cold and they're starting to warm back up), and then they swell up like balloons. If I remain outside, my feet do the same. Yet there's no hives, itchy eyes, or runny nose... which usually tips me off to something I'm allergic to. I don't even have to touch anything to get the reaction. I'm going to assume it's a plant, but I'm unable to pinpoint which one.
    I've found that many things that I eat, drink or breathe also give me problems. There are numerous pollutants, tree pollens, weed pollens and grass pollens floating around, and they change seasonally. Also, occasionally, pollens will even fly over from Africa during certain climatic events. For allergy sufferers, it is a constant attack by many different allergens and irritants.

Quote:
    Over-the-counter medicines for allergies tend to ease the itching and most of the burning, but the swelling can last for hours and render my hands useless. So my question is this: assuming this is an allergy(I have no idea what else it could be), is there anything I could soak my hands in the relieve the swelling? Or maybe something that I could put on them? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    Sorry I can't give you any help with your specific questions, but perhaps something that I do could help you.

For my asthma and heart problems, I often wear a surgical mask and it helps. I especially sleep with a mask on, and it really helps my allergies. I also wear non-smelly gloves to read the mail or the newspaper. I don't read books because just the smell of one sets off my health problems.

As with you, I've eliminated almost everything that I can, whether it be various foods, drinks, chemicals, dust, dyes, certain clothing, aspartame, chocolate, etc.

Perhaps someone else can give you something that would help your swelling.

Regards and best of luck and health to you.

Last edited by Machaon; 09-10-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
    HAIRDOER
    (female)

HAIRDOER HB User

When you say the swelling can last for hours makes me think it is hives like I get. I have chronic pressure hives and they are big and usually caused by pressure to any part of the body and it usually lasts from several hours, to 24 hours. It itches at first and then it swells and hurts. I have had them many times on my feet and hands. I do not believe it is caused by anything I am allergic to. Not sure what, but I have had them for almost 3 years now. I know of nothing that will take the swelling down but time. Wish I did! Bebedryl helps with itching though. I have tried many drugs and had hives almost cover my whole body several times. I take another medicine now that keeps the hives from getting very bad if I just remember to take it. I am doing so much better. Hope this is not what you have but it kinda sounds like the same thing to me.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

I actually posted a similar post right before you. I've been having a problem with hives lately. But the hands itching, which has happened twice to me in the past month, is really annoying. And it lasts for hours! The funny thing is that I don't have to touch or eat anything for it to happen, it just happens. It's starting to freak me out because I've been reading about autoimmune diseases causing such symptoms, as well as dysautonomia. But there's no way that my doctor will take me seriously if I go see her for that. Heck, I'm only 27 and I've had hypertension since I can count, yet, she's not at all concerned about it being caused by anything secondary. I doubt she will take my hives and swollen hands any more seriously.

Closed Thread