It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• No More Irrigation for me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User
    No More Irrigation for me

I have tried irrigation so many times. I used a neti pot today again but it stung so bad that I swore I would never do it again. It felt so freakin bad. I tried it with 1/4 tsp of salt and without salt and it stung both times. I also used kosher salt so that shouldnt be a prob. I will use saline mist spray which should be fine but no more sinus flooding. It hurt sooooo bad. Also my doc has me on nasonex spary. Why is this?

Last edited by tooanxious; 10-06-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User
    I just thought I would add that my sinuses do feel better now (its been about ten min later). Is the stinging a dangerous sign that Im doing it wrong though? I mean I dont want to be doing any damage. I guess I could get use to the stinging if it means Ill have less post nasal drip symptoms. thanks for the help.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: No More Irrigation for me

It's quite possible that you didn't put in enough salt? Does the netipot call for 1/4 tsp? I usually use 1/2 tsp in a cup of warm water, and it doesn't sting. BUT....if I use no salt...YEOWCH!!!

Do you have a sinus infection? How often do you do the irrigation?

thnx,
    quincy

Old 10-06-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

Hey, thanks quincy. I dont have a sinus infection that I know about (know yellow dicharge). I just started this irrigation thing today. It felt really like I was under water in a pool and I breathed in. Thats how much it stung!! The neti pot called for 1/4tsp of salt also.

Im going to stick to my nasonex and saline mist for now. I would like it to work but Im not going to force it. I do think it helped my sinuses though, I am able to breathe good thru my nose. Im just afriad of irritating that area further. Later on I might expermient with a higher salt mixture like you use. I just dont want to be expermenting right now. I have been have congestion and post nasal drip issues the last couple of days so I dont want to irritate it.

How long have you been irrigating quincy? Been sucessful?

Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

you need to add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (or same amount as the amount of salt) to the solution. That will prevent it from stinging. Or better yet buy a saliene powder like Breath-ease

Old 10-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

Okay. Irrigation isnt bad as it was in my first post. I use a saline spray bottle now to administer the solution. It seems to work better for me than the neti pot, which was irritating my nose. I empty the contents of the saline spray bottle and add a new mixture of 1/2 teaspon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda everytime I irrigate. Then I go the sink tilt my head and allow the mixture to flow out my other nostril. Man I was blowing out the nasty looking things. I got a piece of eyebrow hair when I blew my nose! After I am done I can breathe so freely thru my nose. It feels so good. So I guess the lesson is, if it doesnt work with one method try another one until you feel good with the irrigation method. I might try the netipot again later because Im thinking that the new solution mixture might also have helped (adding more salt and baking soda).

Last edited by tooanxious; 10-11-2004 at 10:39 PM.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #7
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I'm so glad the new solution helped you. Just so you know, you can add more baking soda if you need to, just don't let the amount of baking soda exceed the amount of salt.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #8
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

i buy those already mixed packages you can order online. Sinuscare is the name. All you do is boil water and add the packages. Measuring instructions are on the packets.

Halls

Closed Thread