It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• I have bad allergies to mold and dust WHAT CAN I DO???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
    Christine1984

Christine1984 HB User
    I have bad allergies to mold and dust WHAT CAN I DO???

HEY EVERYONE, MY NAME IS CHRISTINA!!! IAM 20!! I WAS RAISED ON A FARM ALL MY LIFE!! MY FAMILY IS REALLY ITALIAN AND THEY DONT WANT TO CLEAN OUT THE MOLD IN THE BASEMENT, WHICH IS RIGHT UNDER MY ROOM. I LIVE WITH MY GRANDPA, MY DAD LIVES NEXTDOOR. iN THE BASEMENT IS THE OILBURNER, AND THERE IS NO INSULATION SURROUNDING THIS BASEMENT AREA, SO ALL THE MOLD ATTACHES TO THE WALLS AND COMES RIGHT INTO MY ROOM AND MAKES MY ROOM STINK. I AM ALWAYS SNEEZING AND MY NOSE IS ALWAYS RUNNING. MY THROAT IS ALWAYS IRRITATED. MY EYES ARE ALWAYS HURTING. ITS HARD TO BREATH IN THIS ROOM. I SAW THE ALLERGIST AND HE TOLD ME WHAT I ALREADY KNEW. THAT I WAS ALLERGIC TO MOLD AND DUST, AND THAT I HAVE NO ASTHMA. CAN YOU DEVELOP ASTHMA IF YOU LIVE IN A HOUSE LIKE MINE??? WHAT CAN I DO BECAUSE OF THIS??? MY GRANDPA WONT DO NOTHING??? THE ONLY PERSON THAT WILL ADMIT TO THIS STUFF IS MY STEPMOM WHO ALSO SUFFERS FROM SINUSESS AND ALERGIES HERSELF, AND SHE LIVES WITH ME. AND SHE SAID ITS DEFINETLY MOLD THATS GROWING UNDERNEATH MY ROOM. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO PROTECT MY HEALTH??? i CANT STAND SNIFFILING NO MORE AND SNEEZING??/ SOMEONG PLEASE HELP??? THANK YOU!! CHRISTINA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: I have bad allergies to mold and dust WHAT CAN I DO???

Irrigation!

I have a terrible dust allergy, and I found that irrigating twice daily clears out the dust, mold, and other gunk that might get into the sinuses.

Also, immunotherapy can work, but it takes a few months to kick in.

Get a HEPA filter for your room, and some allergenic sheet and pillow covers.

But really, irrigation is the best bet -works better than any medication.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
    Kime
    (female)

Kime HB User

We have a friend who takes 500mg of niacin twice a day and 5000mg( 5 grams) of vitamin C twice a day for mold and dust allergies with good results. You have to take both, just one doesn't do the job. He doesn't get as much exposure as you do, though, so I don't know if it will work, but you might want to give it a try. You might need more or less vitamin C, everyone is different. You want to take just under the amount that gives you loose stools or diarrhea. (you can look up bowel tolerance of vitamin C for more information.)

Last edited by Kime; 10-13-2004 at 03:19 PM.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Christine1984
    ... SO ALL THE MOLD ATTACHES TO THE WALLS AND COMES RIGHT INTO MY ROOM AND MAKES MY ROOM STINK. I AM ALWAYS SNEEZING AND MY NOSE IS ALWAYS RUNNING. MY THROAT IS ALWAYS IRRITATED. MY EYES ARE ALWAYS HURTING. ITS HARD TO BREATH IN THIS ROOM.
    It is a shame that your Grandpa isn't willing to help you by getting rid of the mold. Grandparents and parents are supposed to help their young and care for them. I feel bad that you are feeling so bad and not getting the support that you should get from your grandpa.

Since mold can effect you, whether you breathe it in, or if it touches your skin, I've got a suggestion, that you could try, that might give you a little relief.

Sleep totally under the blanket, at night, so that the mold spores get filtered out, a bit, when you breathe, and so that they don't touch your skin. If it is too hot, sweaty and uncomfortable under the blanket, try a sheet. It won't cure your problems, but it might help a little, and could help you to sleep more comfortably.

Also...... if you wanted to kill some of that mold, you can buy hydrogen peroxide 3% solution at any grocery store, pretty cheap. Peroxide is safe to use and it is supposed to kill mold. Even if it has a hard time killing the mold, you'll get a kick out of all the foaming of oxygen bubbles when the peroxide comes into contact with the mold.

Regards, and best of luck and health to you.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

I would have to recommend irrigation too. Use 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (make sure you get kosher salt without the other junk in it) and like wise with baking soda to 8 ounces of water. Then get one of those saline spray bottles at the drugstore or just about anywhere now and remove all the contents from it. Make sure the bottle is able to have the top removed and add the above mixture. You will be irrigating all that stuff out. It is not comfortable at first, at least it wasnt for me, but it feels so good after a while.

I sort of have a similiar situation with my grandpa. I moved in here with him for a while. His house has so much dust! He has old books and newspapers everywhere. He also has a dog and Im allergic to dog hair. So it was a mess when I first came here. However, I have dusted and I vacuum everyday here. Also I got a hepa filter in the furnace. Also my sheets and pillows are in plastic allergy casings. I sorta of seal my room off from the rest of the house. So just try to clean up the place as best you can and seal your room off. Make it a safe zone if you can. Tell your grandpa to wake up!! Good luck to you.

Last edited by tooanxious; 10-13-2004 at 05:04 PM.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

I, too suffer badly from mold and dust allergy. And, I live in an old house in which mold does grow in the walls, if you smell them close enough in some rooms...not much we can do about that though we do pressure wash the outside w/ bleach. But, were looking into a HEPA Filter and I sometimes have to take decongestants and sinus pills every DAY lately to breath. But I also l live in Louisiana where the weather is sooo freakish and the University I go to is sorrounded by azalea bushes which I'm pretty sure I'm allergic too as they make me SNEEZE. I know how dehabilitating these allergies can be. I've never been tested but, I don't have health coverage. Anyway, I think a hepa filter would do good as well as maybe getting on Zyrtec. I loved it when I was on it but two things--one it's costly and, if you stay on prescription allergy meds a long time you start to get more susceptable to colds, so just keep abreast of that.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #7
    Christine1984

Christine1984 HB User

Hey everyone, What is irrigation? how do you do this? what do i need? How do i get a HEPA filter? I am only 20. and dont know all about this, but would like to learn, because i hate to live likt this. thank you for all your help. Christina

Old 10-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #8
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

Hepa filters you can find anywhere, Sam's has a good 3 in 1 Hunter's Hepa. It is great. I bought it and one is in my room, and one is in living room, and one in one of my boys room. It makes a huge difference w/his allergies.

Irrigation is when you use saline and instead of just squirting into to your nose, you actually flish your sinus's out. I actualy bought a water pik machine. I fill it w/water, and add already made saline packs and pour it into the water. Then you turn on the machine and it sqi=uirts water out of the tip. You just put the tip into your nose and lean over into the sink and let the water go up into your nose where it flushes out the other side of your nose. Irrigate both sides w/your solution mix and this is how you irrigate. There are different types of machines and some people use a bottle that sprays instead of a machine so you can do it anyway you want.

Good luck and I hope your allergies get better.

Halls

Old 10-14-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

Here is something from a web site that describes it:

The Saline Solution
    A saline solution for irrigation is easy to make. To make an isotonic solution (one similar to the salt content of your bodily fluids), mix 1/4-teaspoon salt in an 8-ounce glass of warm water and add a pinch (1/4-tsp.) of baking soda.

Discard any unused solution.
    You may chose to use filtered or distilled water if your water contains a lot of chemicals. Table salt can be used, but many prefer to use non-iodized canning or pickling salt.

If you do not want to make your own solution, you can also purchase sterile saline at your local pharmacy or grocery store. You can find it in the contact lens care section of the store. The purchased solutions, however, do not contain baking soda. Using baking soda improves the mucus-solvent properties of the solution.

Different Ways to Irrigate the Nasal Passages
    Once the saline solution is ready, it needs to be put in some sort of container that can be inserted in the nostril. That is, if you don't want to snuff the solution out of your hand. Here are a few containers that work for irrigation:

High capacity syringes - ear or nose
    Neti pot
    Nose spray bottles (at pharmacies and supermarkets)
    A straw
    Grossan Sinus Irrigator Tip - a Water Pik attachment
    The container should allow a continuous flow of saline solution to pass from one nostril to the next.
    How To Irrigate Your Sinuses
    This is the trickiest part. Even though it is easy, it is awkward until you get used to it. Once you have the solution in a container:

Lower your head over a sink.
    Turn your neck so your left nostril is down.
    Keep your nose slightly higher than your mouth.
    Pour solution from the container into your right nostril.
    Water will drain from your left nostril into the sink.
    Gently blow your nose.
    Repeat if needed.
    Repeat the same process for other nostril.
    To keep the solution from running into your mouth, breathe continuously through your mouth.
    How Often Should It Be Used
    Nasal irrigation is not addictive and is safe for everyone no matter how long it is used or how often. For best results, it should be used once or twice a day.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:11 AM   #10
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

You need to take your Grandparents to the doctor with you and have him explain to your grandparents the severity of the situation. They will probably be more likely to listen to him because doctors are authority figures. My allergist gave a lecture to my husband about putting dustmite covers on the bed, and how even his pillow needed a cover and about getting a good furnace filter etc... My husband was trying to be very supportive, but admitted that he wouldn't have thought those things would make a difference if the doctor had not told him. Most people think you can just pop a pill and be fine, but with allergies it's not often the case. And even if it is, eventually your allergies worsen to the point that medicine doesn't help anymore. I agree with the suggestions to get a Hepa filter in the bedroom. But remember they cost $$$ to run. Maybe your grandparents would rather clean the basement than see their electric bill go up? I also suggest 3M filtrate furnace filters for your furnace. They will help clean the air in the whole house, not just your room.

Closed Thread