It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Could use a hand, nothing's working..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2004, 04:33 AM   #1
    sebvad

sebvad HB User
    Could use a hand, nothing's working..

About 3 years ago I started experiencing pretty severe post nasal drip, to the point where every time i swallow (~every 8 seconds) i send down a noticeable amount of drainage. For a long time it triggered a reflexive cough and persistant throat clearing, and is definately worse in the fall than the rest of the year, however it is present year round. Typically in the fall i do feel sinus congestion associated with this (right between the eyes, slightly above), but imagining techniques have ruled out sinus infection. I've tried about 15 different types of allergy/antihistamine meds, with allegra-d seeming to be about the best in class; however it's nowhere near 100% effective. I'd say about 20% improvement. The persistant cough has gone away - i'm assuming it's because i've been desensitized to the drip and it's no longer reflexive. I've changed eating habits, shampoos, detergents, etc all in hopes of finding something associated with this, all w/o any improvement. I've been through a full allergy testing (skin pricks), and nothing came back even remotely indicative of allergens. Even so, the allergy forum seems to be the best place to ask given the nature of the symptoms.

My 5 year old daughter is now experiencing this as well. My wife has not. We do have a cat, but have lived with it for 3 years w/o being symptomatic. If any of you have insights here, I'd be ever so grateful.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
    Sherrose

Sherrose HB User
    Re: Could use a hand, nothing's working..

Hi Sebvad,
    Your condition sounds like it could be something called vasomotor rhinitis. This is a condition where there are no allergies or infections, but there are other types of stimuli, such as pollution, chemicals, alcohol, etc. You can do a search on the Internet to find out more specific information.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sebvad
    Typically in the fall i do feel sinus congestion associated with this (right between the eyes, slightly above), but imagining techniques have ruled out sinus infection.
    You could have a low grade infection, which would not show up, but could make you more sensitive to allegens and irritants.

Quote:
    I've been through a full allergy testing (skin pricks), and nothing came back even remotely indicative of allergens.
    That would also point in the direction of a low-grade infection. OTOH, allergy tests are not always definitive. In fact, allergy tests can show completely different results depending upon the time of the day.

What do you think about the "Upside Down Sinus Flooding" with peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt", in order to treat bacterial, fungus or viral sinus infections?

Old 10-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

Also, your sinus passages may be swollen and don't allow drainage to come down the nose, but rather in your throat. I have that problem and it has gotten so bad I'm so stopped up. Do you feel pressure in your head normally like inbetween your eyes on your nose? If you do you might talk to your ENT about it. I'm having surgery to open up my frontal sinus/ethnoid sinus passages on Monday.

Halls

Old 10-17-2004, 05:57 AM   #5
    sebvad

sebvad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerzoids
    What do you think about the "Upside Down Sinus Flooding" with peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt", in order to treat bacterial, fungus or viral sinus infections?
    Thanks all for your input - i appreciate it. What is this upside down sinus flooding of which you speak?

Old 10-17-2004, 06:25 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sebvad
    Thanks all for your input - i appreciate it. What is this upside down sinus flooding of which you speak?
    I've had chronic sinus infection problems for decades, multiple times per year. Many doctors. CT Scans. Sinus surgery. Many antibiotics, one after another.

I've had both low-grade sinus infections, and full blown infections.

About three years ago, I placed my head down and flooded my sinuses with diluted mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and kosher salt. I stayed down for a while, hoping that the powerful anti-infective mixture would seep deep into my nasal passages and kill whatever was in there. It worked.

From feedback, about 50% of those who have tried it have gotten absolutely no relief from their symptoms, so it does not work for everyone. It is also very irritating on the sinuses, at first, especially to raw, damaged sinuses.

If you are interested in reading more about it, documentation and feedback are in the thread "New 'upside down sinus flooding' documentation.", which is about 15 threads down from this one, in this same Allergy board.

Closed Thread