HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   what are your thoughts on food allergies testing? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/247021-what-your-thoughts-food-allergies-testing.html)

Gab2000 01-27-2005 09:31 AM

what are your thoughts on food allergies testing?

I wanted to get this test done but my insurance won't cover it. I asked my Ndoctor how much it was and this is what she said:
[I]
"The Immuno Lab food antibody panel is $300. Gluten testing is an extra $66.
This food antibody panel is "guaranteed" (if you do not have food allergies
OR if he does not get better after removing allergic foods for 3 months you
get your money back). Great Smokies Lab will test 100 foods including
Gluten for $144. Both of these tests require a blood draw, so you will have
to visit Dr. Horvitz (the doc who does my labwork) for this.
Metametrix 30 food allergy test is $99, and this can be done in my office"[/I]

This is a lot of money... I don't know what to do... my major complaint is stuffy nose and sinus infections and I develop now a yeast infection every time i"m on antibiotics... and now I'm getting bacterial infections also...

I don't know what to do??? I don't know if this test will be worth it or what??

Have any of you had this kind of tests done??

tip2mol 01-27-2005 11:21 AM

Re: what are your thoughts on food allergies testing?

Not to be negative against blood testing for allergies, but they are not very accurate.
I suffer from anaphylactoid reactions to dust mites. My blood testing did not pick up on any allergies, and I was tested twice at two different places.- However- my skin testing showed a huge reaction twice to the dust mites and it also picked up on food allergies (5 big ones). The allergist and the GI doctor could not figure out why I had gastritis- as none of my meds should cause it- finally the allergy testing showed that I had food allergies.
I would definitely advise the skin testing as opposed to the blood testing for allergies.

Gab2000 01-27-2005 11:32 AM

I did have the skin test done already and didn't show any food allergies.
That's why I wanted to do the blood because I thought it was more accurate. I just want to find the cause of my stuffy nose, and sinusitis... this si driving me crazy :eek:

tip2mol 01-27-2005 03:38 PM

Just wondering, you are looking at food allergies. Did they skin test you for environmental allergies. Is there a reason that you are thinking it is food related?
I might be able to help more- with a little more information!

Gab2000 01-27-2005 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=tip2mol]Just wondering, you are looking at food allergies. Did they skin test you for environmental allergies. Is there a reason that you are thinking it is food related?
I might be able to help more- with a little more information![/QUOTE]

Hi!!! well I had the skin test for enviromental allergies and I tested positive for dust, dust mites and dogs. Actually this year and less allergic to stuff than last year. Last year I tested positive for mold, grass, and other stuff.

Because I think I have candida overgrowth because of all the antibiotics I have taken, I thought that maybe I have food allergies and that's teh reason my nose it's stuffy ALL THE TIME and therefore I get sinus infections. With the sinus infection I have to take antibiotics, and then I get a yeast infection... I'm sick of this... Basically I'm looking for a rearon to why I can't never breath. I've been to ENT, allergist, ND's, had CAT scan... nothing helps... I'm now addicted to afrin, which is awful....

So that's all... I want to know why am I stuffy all the time... and I don't want to get sinus infections any more... that's why I wanted to get the food allergy test done.. I got done the skin test but didn't show anything.

MilkNWheat 01-27-2005 07:53 PM

I did the "skin" test for good and air allegies both came up negitive. then I did a 2 week food diary and the doct injected like 4 different kinds of foods under my skin where Wheat N Milk came back positive. Ask your doctor about that test.

Sucks you don't have health ins. :(

My symptoms are stuffy nose that runs, bloating and major gas!