It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergic to antibiotics?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
    dee10k
    (female)

dee10k HB User
    Allergic to antibiotics?

Well, I guess this is no big deal but I just wanted to throw this question out there to see if anyone has any input. (btw, I'm new here ... hi!)

A couple of years ago, I saw a dermatolgist about some trouble I was having with acne breakouts. She prescribed retin-a, which I had used before, and minocycline, an antibiotic. I started using my meds, and a couple of weeks later, I broke out in weird spots all over my torso, neck, and face. (not zits, just red spots with a little white puss in the middle. Sorry for being gross.) So I discontinued the minocycline, and everything cleared up. Then I tried the minocycline again, just to see what would happen. Sure enough, a couple of weeks later I broke out with those spots again. I felt fine, just looked kind of bad.

I intended to bring it up on my next visit to the dermatologist, but I never went back, because my acne situation improved and I didn't need to. I probabably should have called her anyway, but I put it off and ended up forgetting.

Anyway. Does that sound like an allergic reaction to you? Or could it be a normal side effect? I'm bringing this up now, because today when I saw my regular doctor for a checkup, I told him that I'm not allergic to any medications. I didn't even think about the red spotty incident until later.

Sorry if it's a dumb question -- I've never been allergic to anything before, so I don't really know what to look for.

Last edited by dee10k; 02-18-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Allergic to antibiotics?

sounds like one to me. Did you have any other reactions? Or just the skin manifestations?

be careful with some antibiotics, such as doxycyline, which is from the same family.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
    dee10k
    (female)

dee10k HB User

No just the skin manifestations. I don't know whether or not I would have had other reactions if I had kept taking it. I had some headaches too, but they were probably just regular headaches. I was tempted to continue, thinking that maybe my body just needed to adjust to the medication or something, but then I thought better of it.

Anyway, it's probably a good idea for me to keep this in mind, so next time a doctor wants to write me a prescription I can mention this. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
    bigdogmom48
    (female)

bigdogmom48 HB User

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me, and you should definitley tell your doctor about it. I have a lot of allergies, but was never allergic to any medications until I hit Menopause. Now I have tried 4 or 5 different antibiotics and I am allergic to all of them. My reactions were either spots like you discribed, or an itchy feeling under my skin. I'm glad you stopped taking the medication as soon as the reaction started. If you had continued the reaction could have increased in severity to the point where it threatened your life. Allergic reactions are nothing to fool with.

Closed Thread