It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Do allergies always show in blood?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
    CostaRicaLD
    (male)

CostaRicaLD HB User
    Do allergies always show in blood?

A quick question....do allergies always show up in a general blood test i.e BASOPHIL? Or do they show up in other readings?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Re: Do allergies always show in blood?

I'm actually not familiar with that particular test, but I know that allergies do NOT always show up on blood tests. I had a RAST test (which tests for IgE-mediated allergic reactions) and one week later, I went into anaphylactic shock. Three weeks before I got tested, I also went into shock. My test showed that I had no true allergies besides soy, peanuts, and slightly, eggs, and I am 100% sure that I didn't consume even TRACES of those things before I had the episodes of anaphylactic shock. I am obsessively careful about ingredients in the foods I eat due to the reactions I've had in the past. Anyway, there are intolerances and there are allergies. Most allergists will tell you that "intolerances" only cause stomach/intestinal upset, and cannot cause hives, swelling, rashes, asthma, etc., but this is NOT true. An intolerance is not IgE-mediated, which is what the allergy tests test for, and a NON IgE reaction CAN actually still cause shock or anaphylactoid reactions. Interestingly, intolerances are usually caused by enzyme deficiencies or damaged intestinal mucosa. I think, but I'm really not sure so don't quote me on this, but I believe that an ELISA test might test for intolerances/sensitivities as well as IgE-mediated allergic reactions. Unfortunatly, my doctor didn't want to give me this "expensive" test. Since then, I dropped that doctor. Hope that helped.
    ~Katalina

Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
    tip2mol
    (female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

To answer your question- A Big No!
    After 8 months of living hell- and two series of negative blood allergy testing, it was discovered (at a research hospital) that I have an extremely severe reaction to dust mites. Based on my symptoms (It is an anaphylactoid reaction)- not full fledge shock, but at times- very close to it.
    I was also tested again- with blood allergy testing a year later due to horrible stomach problems and the test showed that I did not have any food allergies. Just a few weeks later- they did the skin testing and found out that I definitely had reactions to 5 different foods. I have since eliminated these out of my diet and have less problems. When I do sneak in chocolate- I do notice that for a few days following that I have abdominal pain- bloating and diarrhea.

So- the blood testing for me certainly wasn't accurate.
    My allergist said that it is the least accurate test for allergies.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
    CostaRicaLD
    (male)

CostaRicaLD HB User

Thanks for the info folks, that has helped clear some things up. I'm not to sure what I have to be honest, but my symptoms are really beggining to tell me I have an allergy to something. I have,

sudden dark circles under eyes, constant photophoia, sneezing attacks, costant stuffed or runny nose, belching stomach every day, and wake up very tired (inspite of sleeping well).

I have had this for two months now. I suspect I could have an allegry to dust, as you say, but my BASOPHIL reading on a general blood test is on 0% meaning that my body has not reacted to an allegry!!

One other question. I am 23, Male, and have never had any allergies in my life. Is it possible that you can develop one out of the blue, say dust or food?

It's all quite confusing. Thanks.

CRLD.

Last edited by CostaRicaLD; 03-03-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:18 AM   #5
    tip2mol
    (female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

To answer your question about "Can you develop and allergy out of the blue"
    That is definitely a yes.
    I have a wonderful allergist and as she states "Anyone can develop an allergy to anything at anytime"

Closed Thread