It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Has anyone had a radiofrequency treatment for chronic nasal obstruction??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
    Feeling_sick
    (male)

Feeling_sick HB User
    Has anyone had a radiofrequency treatment for chronic nasal obstruction??

Hi,

Has any one had radiofrequency treatment for chronic nasal obstruction? My doctor thinks i'm a good candidate for this treatment.

I have constant nasal congestion. I've tried Flonase, didn't help. Allergy shots- no help. Can't take Sudafed - makes my heart beat funny.

Just wondering if any one knows about this treatment. Any potential side effects?

Thanks!

Last edited by Feeling_sick; 03-03-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User
    Re: Has anyone had a radiofrequency treatment for chronic nasal obstruction??

Hi

I've heard that using radiofrequency to treat chronic nasal obstruction is better than going for the more extensive kind of surgery. Bleeding is lesser and recovery time is faster. And since radiofrequency treatment doesn't remove totally your turbinates, you will have lesser problems with dry/cold nose. But before you go for the radiofrequency, do you know what's causing your chronic nose block? Do you have any allergies? Have you tried Nasonex or Nasacort yet?

Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
    Feeling_sick
    (male)

Feeling_sick HB User

is nasonex basically the same as flonase? if so, flonase didn't work for me.

i had the radiofrequency surgery twice! didn't work. i'm stuffed up again. so frustrating.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hi there

how blocked are your nasal passages? If you turbinates are very large, maybe the radiofrequency might not work. Since the bones are not removed, there's chance that the tissue of the turbinates will grow back. That could be why you are still stuffed up. Part of my bones and turbinates were removed during surgery. A few months after surgery, my ENT said that it seems like the tissue has started to grow back even the bone has been removed. Nasonex and Flonase are different I think though they have the same purpose for use. Did you ask your doctor how come your surgery wasn't successful? Have you used nasal decongestant sprays before? They work well but it can't be taken long term or too many times.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
    berryqueen
    (female)

berryqueen HB User

I had radio frequency nasal turbinate reduction in August. It seemed to work for about 1 month, then I got stuffed up again. I had the ethmoidectomy nasal polyp surgery May a year ago. That also seemed to work for a while although my ENT said that it wasn't the polyps that grew back, it was now the nasal turbinates that were a problem. Getting the radio frequency procedure wasn't that bad. And afterwards, my sinuses were not much worse than usual for about three-four weeks. Then suddenly I cleared up for about 6 weeks. I thought I was cured! But NO. Now, I have this strange phenomenon going on with my sinuses clearing for a while then getting COMPLETELY blocked for a while. I get relief from: HOT FLASHES about 10 or so per day which clear my sinuses up completely, taking a shower ( I have started to use my nasal sinus rinse in the shower cause it can actually do some good that way) and exercise. Even just moving my legs around vigorously while I am sitting often clears my sinuses. It's obviously vascular in nature. There is something really strange going on with this sinus thing I have. I think somebody should study me for science or something.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
    berryqueen
    (female)

berryqueen HB User

I tried all that stuff too. I can't take sudafed either cause it makes my blood pressure skyrocket. Besides, anything I try works for a while then quits.

Closed Thread