It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergic to Yeast, need info

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User
    Allergic to Yeast, need info

Hi, This is my first time on this board, and I was wondering if anyone could list some foods that I should eliminate from my diet. I know the obvious ones like baked goods, alcohol, and vinegar, but I was wondering if there's more to this. I am still waiting for my allergist to give me a print out of what to avoid and also for the "other" names food labels call yeast.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Allergic to Yeast, need info

You should check out your local bookstore or library for books on the Candida Diet...there are other ones, but I don't know the names. Having it explained clearly would be in your best interests, as well to have it to refer to as you're going along.

Basically, it's a lot of stuff you'll be eliminating, but there are recipies that will give you replacements.

Hope you feel better soon.
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 03-07-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
    loopyturtle
    (female)

loopyturtle HB User

Read the labels on the baked goods. Not all use yeast for leavening, so some are safe . . .

Candidiasis is not necesarily the same as yeast allergy. Since you referred to your allergist, I am assuming that you have the latter . I do too, and have trouble finding info on it. I'd love to hear what your doctor tells you.

Also, with all the negative reports about msg, a lot of companies are starting to use yeast extract as a flavor enhancer in lots of things like soups, potato chips . . . you name it.

I've been looking for an alternative to mayo . . .any ideas, anyone?

Good luck!

--Loopy

Old 03-08-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User
    Talking Re: Allergic to Yeast, need info

Thanks Quincy and Loopy!!

I'm planning on going to the book store today. I want to knowabout this so well, it will be second nature. I'll tell you, since I've been avoiding yeast, I've felt calmer, sharper, more energetic, and definitely less moody! I just wish I had tested sooner!!!

Loopy, I do eat low-salt canned soup so I will have to watch out for the yeast, who would have thought? I share any new info I get!!

Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2005, 03:07 AM   #5
    Zenfish
    (male)

Zenfish HB User

how do you know you're allergic to yeast? Sure it's not wheat your intolerant of?

Old 03-08-2005, 05:20 AM   #6
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KittyLove
    Hi, This is my first time on this board, and I was wondering if anyone could list some foods that I should eliminate from my diet. I know the obvious ones like baked goods, alcohol, and vinegar, but I was wondering if there's more to this. I am still waiting for my allergist to give me a print out of what to avoid and also for the "other" names food labels call yeast.

Thanks for any help!!!!
    KittyLove,

A friend of mine who is still sorting out her food allergies mentioned a few potential "hidden" problem foods. I'm not clear on the differences among yeasts, molds and fungi, but some foodstuffs to either experiment with or get tested for are: mushrooms, fermented milk products like joghurt and "blue" cheeses (brie, camembert, blue, roquefort, etc.), and things made with a fermentation process like soy sauce or wine.

Good luck on sorting out the culprits!

--Rheanna

Old 03-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
    loopyturtle
    (female)

loopyturtle HB User

Quote:
    how do you know you're allergic to yeast? Sure it's not wheat your intolerant of?
    Don't know about Kittylove, but I test positive for yeast with both skin and blood allergy tests. Plus I react to foods with yeast based items that don't have a smidgen of wheat in them.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User

Zenfish,
    I was tested for about 30 different foods, including wheat, and I only tested positive for yeast, peanuts, and bananas. I did go out and buy the book "The Yeast Connection Handbook" (an updated version of the original book). I have been following the strict 3 week "cleansing" diet and taking an herbal anti-yeast pill, and I have to say, no shout out!, that I have never felt as good as I do right now!!! My depression is nill, I have loads of energy, my concentration and memory have improved, my mood swings have stabilized, my acne cleared up, and the biggest bonus: I have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks!!!

Finding out I am allergic to Yeast and buying that book have been a Godsend. My quality of life has been transformed to a much higher level!!!!!

Old 03-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
    Gab2000
    (female)

Gab2000 HB User

What kind of food allergy test did you get done? was it at a regular lab???

Old 03-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User

Gab,

I had 5 series of skin ***** tests. The first series was environment. Found out I'm allergic to cats, mold, dust, dustmites, and pollen. During the next four, I found out I'm also allergic to yeast, malt, peanuts, and bananas.

The food allergy pricks were a little more intense than the first series because he had to inject more of the "juice". While sitting there, my nose would fill up, and I'd sneeze almost within minutes of the offending foods.

I just read in my new Yeast Connection book that when a person is allergic to yeast, they almost always have other food allergies...interesting.

I have also learned that fruit juices are FULL of yeast.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #11
    Avlonitis
    (female)

Avlonitis HB User
    Post What NOT to eat when you have a Yeast Allergy

1. No dried fruits, no dates, raisins or prunes.
    2. No dried meat jerky, cheese, sour cream, or yogurt.
    3. No citrus fruits. ( Not even canned, frozen, from concentrate or juiced. )
    4. No oatmeal, barely, cereals, commercial dry cereals ( Except puffed rice, cream of rice, puffed millet or pure millet ).
    5. No leavened products.
    6. No commercial breads or pastries.
    7. No commercial gravies, soups or sauces.
    8. No vinegar or vinegar products.
    9. No pickles, ketchup, mustard, olives, or salad dressing.
    10. No alcoholic beverages.
    11. No colas ( Sodas )
    12. No candies except for hard candy, ( if not allergic to corn )
    13. No potato chips unless they are made with natural kinds of sea salt.
    14. No baking Powder. ( Substitute 1/4th Cream of Tartar and 1/4th baking soda instead ).
    15. No tea. No coffee.
    16. No crackers, pretzels, cookies, hamburger or hot dog buns, cakes, biscuits, rolls or self-rising bread. ( There are yeast free bread products! )
    17. No meat fried in breadcrumbs
    18. No milk fortified with vitamins.
    19. No vitamins unless yeast free.
    20. No saurkraut, mince pie, condiments, mayonnaise, horseradish, barbegue sauces, tomato sauces, chili peppers or baby cereals.
    21. No whiskey, brandy, gin, rum, vodka, tequila, rye, scotch, beer, root beer, ale, ginger ale or any sort of malt beverages.
    22. No cheeses.
    23. No malt products, including cereals, candy, and malted drinks period.
    24. No monosodium glutamate as it is a yeast derivative. ( This is found even in seasonings such as Johnny's Seasoning Salt, so becareful and read labels closely )
    25. No citric acid as it is a yeast derivative. ( This is found in an enourmous amount of processed foods as a preservative. Everything from salsa, to Jam or Jelly, so read labels carefully and avoid it ).
    26. No mushrooms, truffles, soy sauce or Black Tea.
    27. No mellon fruit as the rind is a great breeding ground for mold and fungi. ( When you cut into the fruit it contaminates the meat of the mellon ).
    28. Peanuts, Peanut Butter, Peanut Products

There are a ton of other kinds of foods you should avoid, but this is a brief description of the basics. I will let you know if I learn anything else. ( Im still in the process of learning about this type of allergy myself. )

Now.. Dont you wish you had a list of foods that you could eat!!!???

I sure do.

Last edited by Avlonitis; 04-19-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #12
    Avlonitis
    (female)

Avlonitis HB User

P.S. Avoid Pepper! Many seasonings have been exposed to yeast during their processing.

Last edited by Avlonitis; 03-17-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
    BethyB
    (female)

BethyB HB User

Is a yeast allergy similar to Candida? It certainly sounds like it. I find that with Candida I'm almost always craving sugar and especially chocolate. I've never had a 'sweet tooth' before in my life and was always a 'savoury foods' kind of person.

What kind of supplements are you taking and do you find them cleansing? I've taken Yeast Cleanse from GNC by Solaroy before now. I've also heard that taking olive leaf or corriander leaf supplements are supposed to be good. Does anyone have experience of these? I would love to hear more.

Good luck with the cleanse. I've already ordered it and am looking forward to cleansing in much the same way.

Beth

Old 03-18-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
    KittyLove
    Veteran
    (female)

KittyLove HB User

Avlonitis, Thanks so much for the list, I just received a similar one from my allergist. I was surprised about TEA. I was drinking about 3 cups of green tea a day! I have heard that living a completely yeast-free life is impossible, and now I see why. Did you just find out that you're allergic to yeast? How are you feeling since starting the diet?

BethyB,
    Right now I'm taking 4 capsules a day of Yeast Defense by Nutrition Now. It has caprylic acid, garlic, and grapefruit extract. Good luck with your cleanse!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #15
    Avlonitis
    (female)

Avlonitis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KittyLove
    Avlonitis, Thanks so much for the list, I just received a similar one from my allergist. I was surprised about TEA. I was drinking about 3 cups of green tea a day! I have heard that living a completely yeast-free life is impossible, and now I see why. Did you just find out that you're allergic to yeast? How are you feeling since starting the diet?

BethyB,
    Right now I'm taking 4 capsules a day of Yeast Defense by Nutrition Now. It has caprylic acid, garlic, and grapefruit extract. Good luck with your cleanse!
    Hiya Beth,

Anything I can do to help! Yes, I just found out Tuesday about my allergy, and needless to say I was seriously bummed; When I got the list from my doctor telling me what I couldn't eat, I damn near flipped my lid ( I've never been on any sort of diet in my life ). Worse yet, I'd went grocery shopping two days prior to my testing, and I cannot tell you how angry I was to come home from my appointment, to a fridge full of food that I was not allowed to eat! haha.

But, I decided to make the best of it, and started my new diet on Wednesday morning. Oh man, it was so hard to open my fridge and realize that I had to go shopping again. When I ended up at the Grocery store, it got even worse: Just walking through the place made me want to have a nervous breakdown.. And when I got to the meat department and started looking at things I thought might be safe, I picked up a package of sausage and read the label thinking, hey its meat.. I can eat it right? Wrong! The ingredients said it contained Monosodium Glutamate, which is on the list of do not eat's. I started crying right there in the store! hahahaha

But what can you do right? So I ended up buying things like, albacore tuna, salmon, steak, shrimp, bacon, eggs, chicken, carne esada meat, oysters, califlower, broccoli, cabbage, asparagus and a few other things; Thus the diet began.

That morning I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, BBQ'd oysters for lunch ( man those were good ), and Grilled Salmon with Califlower for dinner.

Now.. I thought the second day would be harder.. but you know whats odd? I woke up the next day.. feeling GOOD. And I dont mean.. just.. in a good mood, I mean.. I woke up.. feeling rested. At first I thought it was a fluke, so I tried to think of something creative to make for breakfast and decided on an Omlete. For lunch I had some albacore tuna mixed with green onions and red bellpeppers. ( tried to get creative again ). For dinner I had Steak and Shrimp.

Woke up the next morning feeling good all over again.. and then I realized, that I have never had this much energy in my life. Im seriously digging this diet, and I dont know too much about my allergy yet, but I can tell you that its Friday now, and I dont miss yeast at all.

Oh, and by the way, I stopped in at an organics food store, and you'll never believe how expensive yeast free bread is. Its insane! 7 bucks a loaf. 7 bucks! Now, I could have bought it.. but you know.. I realized.. if Im gonna stick to this diet, I might as well give it my all, and have decided to skip out on bread in general. Maybe down the road Ill weave it into my diet, but for now.. Im so pleased with how im feeling that Im not worried about it.

As far as suppliments, Im still looking into yeast free vitamins, and will pick some up as soon as I find a good place that sells them. Which brings me to my question for you.. You said you are taking suppliments, and that one of the ingredients is grapefruit extract. I wondered.. isnt that a citrus fruit?

Anyhow.. So far.. things are great for me, and Im really pleased with the results Ive seen from my diet. I hope yours brings you the same results.
    Let me know how things are fairing on your end. Do you like your diet? Are you struggling at all? Wanna share recipe ideas? Let me know.

Avlonitis.

P.S. Oh yea man, I used to drink Green tea like crazy before this diet, but not anymore. Bizzarely enough, Ive fell in love with water and thats pretty much all Ive been drinking the last week. But again.. Ive been feeling so good the last few days, Ive hardly had time to miss it.

Last edited by Avlonitis; 03-18-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Closed Thread