It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• wine and dried fruit sulfates cause racing heart, bp spike?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
    mgraylorn
    Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
    wine and dried fruit sulfates cause racing heart, bp spike?

Hi there. I mostly frequent the high and low blood presssure forum and sometimes the menopause forum, but I have a question that I thought might be better asked here.

I have seasonal allergies to pollens of all sorts and somewhat to dust. I didn't think I had food allergies, but I notice that if I eat a lot of bread, especially white bread, that I get gassy.

I've noticed something new that I've not had before. For the last couple years, I would get headaches after drinking wine, like a couple of glasses, not massive consumption. I think this happens with both red and white. I haven't had hard liquor in a long time and don't like beer, so I don't know if this happens with other forms of alcohol. I thought it was dehydration.

Back at Christmas I had one and a half glasses of wine (red I think), and within a couple hours of drinking it, I noticed my heart was racing and my blood pressure spiked up significantly higher than normal. It took several hours for pulse and bp to normalize. I thought this was a fluke, but to be cautious, at New Year's I drank a glass of champaign (pink I think), very slowly over a couple of hours, and again had the racing heartrate and bp spike. I've not had alcohol since.

Last week I started eating a lot of dried apricots, to try to increase my fruit intake. Sunday I ate a bunch of them. In the middle of the night I had a pulse and blood pressure spike that took an hour or so to go back toward normal. Monday morning I ate a couple more dried apricots with breakfast and noticed an elevated pulse and bp until evening.

I'm wondering if I've developed a sensitivity to sulfates used as preservatives in wine and dried fruit? I have searched this on the web, but do not see pulse and blood pressure spikes listed as symptoms of sulfate sensitivity. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread