It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allegra for indoor allergies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
    USCGirl
    (female)

USCGirl HB User
    Allegra for indoor allergies?

I've always had allergy problems, but the past few years, they have gotten worse. When I was younger, my mom and regular doctor wanted me to go to an allergest and get the shots, but I fought it as much as I could, and unfortunately, won that battle because I was put on Hismanal and took it daily and all was fine.
    However, I now live in an area that is notorious for seasonal allergy problems. Additionally, I am allergic to dust and mold, and have chemical sensitivities, I guess it's called, to cigarette smoke.
    At any rate, I have taken a new job which involves going into houses with a lot of times, less than ideal conditions on the inside. I thought my allergies wouldn't be too bad, even with this, because my doctor has me on Singulair, Allegra-D, and Flonase. However, last week I ended up going into one such house and my allergies flared up less than a half hour after leaving (and we were only in the house 15 minutes). Because of my allergies, I also lost my voice pretty much completely for 2 days, and today, a week later, I called my grandmother and she didn't even recognize my voice. My allergies have caused me many problems in the past, and often make me sound very congested, but this is the first time ever that I have lost my voice to that extent.
    They have indicated that the plan is to move me to a position in which you don't go into a house until it is in better shape. I was told going in that the main reason they wanted to start me in this position I'm in now is so I will have a good idea of it all. My boss is super nice, and I don't want to sound whiny or anything or like I'm complaining so right now I am really hoping the move is sooner rather than later or that I can get allergy medication better suited to my new situation. I've also called and told my doctor about the situation to see about whether my medications should be switched given the change of circumstances, which I'm hoping will solve it.
    She gave me a month's worth of samples of Allegra 180 to see if that works better. Is Allegra good for indoor allergies, too? I was told that by some pharmacists I asked, but other pharmaceutical ads and the Allegra website stress seasonal allergies.
    I hope this makes sense. I'm just concerned that if the Allegra-D didn't work, the 180 isn't going to be much better. And I'm in training so I won't be in another house to see about that until close to the time the samples are done (I use a mail order pharmacy through my insurance so you have to allow at least 14 days to get the medication).

Last edited by USCGirl; 06-10-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Allegra for indoor allergies?

The 180 is a larger dose than 2 Allegra-D's , I think. And if needed you can take it with a 12 hour sudaphed. IMHO the "indoor" vs. "outdoor" is mostly a marketing gimmic. But in my experience, Zyrtec just works better than Allegra.

Something I do, if I know I'm going to be around something that might set my allergies off, is carry around some children's benedryl pills. The chewable's act real fast, and 1 pill is the equivilant to 1/2 an adult capsule so you don't totally overdose on antihistimines.

Are you getting allergy shots?

Last edited by sneezydiva; 06-10-2005 at 08:00 PM.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
    USCGirl
    (female)

USCGirl HB User

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not getting the allergy shots, my parents and doctor wanted me to when I was little, but I won that battle (and, man, do I regret it now). The insurance that I have is not too good and would count each visit to get a shot as an office visit , which means I would have to pay a fairly high co-pay each time. And to think, I could've gotten them for free when I was little, but I hated needles too much to go along with it (and Hismanal helped well enough for my parents not to overrule me and insist on it).
    Does the children's benydryl not make you tired? I've had regular Benydryl a few times (most recently when I ate a small bite of something that had peanuts in it and my friend made me stay at her house and take some because of my allergy to them) and each time, they have knocked me out so bad I'm not up until the next morning no matter what time I take them. That might be a good idea to keep some of that at my office so that when I knew I was going out to a call about a house that was in bad condition and had that many allergens floating around, I could take one of them. I just wouldn't want to if they would make me drowsy because we deal with some real sensitive issues with the potential for violence and definitely need to be on my toes when making home visits.
    Glad to know that the indoor/outdoor thing is more of a marketing gimmack. I was a little concerned because I didn't want to be like, "you're crazy" to my doctor, but I was thinking, "I know what's wrong with me, it was those allergens in that house" and I sure knew a pill only handling seasonal allergies wasn't going to help with that. Hopefully this new meds change will help so that I can keep them under controll.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Everybody's different, but I do fine on just one pill. Taking a whole adult dose makes me drowsy. The pills have a indentation on them, so you could even cut them in half and take just 1/8 of an adult dose. Maybe that would work for you.

You might also ask your doctor to prescribe Astelin nosespray along with the Flonase. That combination is working really well for me right now.

Another thing you could try is using Nasalcrom nosespray. My allergist in S.C. told me when my allergies really act up to use Nasalcrom with the Flonase. (this was before Astelin was on the market) He said Nasalcrom would have been the miracle allergy cure if only it lasted for more than 4 hours. It just wears off too quickly, but it does help a lot if you know you are going to be exposed to something. I use it whenever I go to my in-laws b/c of their dog. Though now that I have Astelin, I wonder if I will have to keep doing that.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
    USCGirl
    (female)

USCGirl HB User

That's pretty funny because I'm actually in SC. Guess it's no wonder my allergies are so bad, I think my state is terrible for them.
    I have seen the Nasalcrom in drugstores I believe, but didn't get it because I get really nervous taking so much allergy meds. This is the most I have ever been prescribed at one time on a long term basis. Before it was just one daily and then when they were really bad, maybe two and it took care of it. I will definitely speak with the pharmacist about taking that along with the pescription stuff on days where I do get called out for a situation involving a nonlivable house (yes, I am the dork that calls about drug interactions when I any new medication gets added to what I am taking or when I am considering something over the counter) and maybe will try the children's Benydryl when I am in a situation with dust or something that doesn't involve clients so that I can see how I react to it before being in a workplace situation.
    Thanks for the tips. I got really stressed when that one place effected me that bad as far as what in the world to do in the future.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

FYI, benedryl is what is used in Tylenol PM for the sleeping med.

Closed Thread