HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   how often do you get shots?? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/295333-how-often-do-you-get-shots.html)

deena1168 06-16-2005 03:22 PM

how often do you get shots??

Hi everyone!! THis is a question for all who get allergy shots. How often do you get them?? I went for my first one yesterday, and he said if I "felt" like I needed another one, to come back in about 3 weeks.........and then I probably wouldn't need another for about 3 months. Thanks for any replies.

schao 06-16-2005 03:32 PM

Re: how often do you get shots??

Hi Deena-
I get my shot once every week. I'll be doing that for a year, then I see my doctor again to talk about if they are helping me or not. If they are, then I think we go to once a month.

schao

Titchou 06-16-2005 04:33 PM

Interesting...every time I've been on them (3 times in my life) it was a 5 year plan. I got four shots a week till I reached maintenance and then it was 2 every four weeks...which is where I am now. I get to quit them in December! YEA!

kehorner 06-16-2005 04:55 PM

Are you sure that you are getting allergy shots as in allergy immunotherapy? There is a drug called xolair that is injected... Usually allergy shots are given at least once a week with gradually increasing dosage until you get to the maintenance dose, at which point you can go up to four weeks between shots. So I'm not sure what you're getting. I get my shots once a week.

deena1168 06-17-2005 05:24 AM

No, I'm not sure...............I just figured thats what I was getting. He done a weird test on me to begin with, and told me I had allergies and what to, and said he was going to give me a shot and then told me about when to come back and said with this shot alot of people can quit taking their antihistimine, but to continue with mine until we seen how I done with it. I think I will call and find out.......ty for the info.

sneezydiva 06-17-2005 09:20 AM

I answered your other post, but I agree it sounds like maybe you got a Xolair shot. LEt us know, and if it is Xolair how it is working.

Flash52 06-17-2005 10:19 AM

I have been taking allergy shots once a week for over a year. Besides allergies they also help with an inner ear problem I have.

NicoleMM 06-17-2005 03:40 PM

I get two shots once a week and have been doing so for 17 years. They really help me!

sneezydiva 06-17-2005 04:02 PM

I forgot to add that I get my shots once a week also.

deena1168 06-18-2005 06:10 AM

Hi everyone and ty again for the replies...........I found out the shot I got was celestone (not sure of the spelling)........but its more less a steroid shot. He said he likes to try that first cause it does help some people. He said I had lots of inflammation and its most likely because of allergies. If this doesn't help me, we will go for the allergy shots. I do seem to be a little better, but not quite sure if its the shot, or just that the pollen levels are down a little. I'm getting another shot in 3 weeks though, and hopefully i'll be able to tell a difference then. I didn't know allergies could really take over your life, especially if you have inner ear problems too, but gosh, they can. I haven't felt like myself since Nov. 04, and i'm so ready to get back to myself. Do your allergy shots help alot?? What were your symptoms before you started them? Flash52....what kind of inner ear problem do you have?? Glad the shots help with that too..............have a great weekend everyone. Deena