It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• ENT Visit & Astelin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
    The Inquirer
    (female)

The Inquirer HB User
    ENT Visit & Astelin

OK, I saw the ENT again today, since the headaches are still there and the congestion only on the left side. I am 4 months post-op (3rd surgery). I had to hear the "We cleaned you out, everything is very open, there is no infection, we used the 3-D camera..." blah, blah, blah speech again. He agrees that I am congested..Uhh, ya think? I've been taking Clarinex and Singulair, and the ever so frequent steroid pack (which is the only thing that helps). He decided to add Astelin to see if that helps. Here's the problem -- I just made the mistake of searching this allergy board for Astelin...doesn't look too good...some of the things that were mentioned were that it has a HORRIBLE taste, makes you tired, and makes you sneeze after taking it.

Anyone wanna jump in with something positive about it? (Not that I think it's actually going to help...)

Thanks,
    Inq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
    Re: ENT Visit & Astelin

astelin didnt help me much. i had a septoplasty and my right maxillary opened 2 mo ago. i take claritin d (used to use zyrtec d but my ent said if c. works use it) neil med sinus rinse is a dream! it washes everything out! i also use rhinocort (wait at least 15 min before u blow) i think the only time astlein ever helped me was when i had a really runny nose.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

Been there, totally open now and fixed completely, but why am i still dizzy and inflammed in the sinus if this is the case? My ENT just has no clue!

Here is my thinking. Even though the sinuses have been fixed the damage to the lining is there and can't be fixed. Once inflammed like that it could take years for them to heal or not. I don't know. I'm going on 1 year an a half and still inflammed, oh and 3 surgeries later. I get head aches and dizziness and a stuffy feeling, but nothing comes out. I am less dizzy when my nose starts to run, but that is not that often.

As far as Astelin. I tried it once and the taste was so nasty I didn't bother with it again.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I LOVE Astelin. Yes, it does taste awful, but if you lean your head forward while spraying it, not very much will go down your throat. But even if I actually had to taste it everyday, the benefits are worth it IMHO. I was using Flonase 2 sprays twice a day. Now I use Astelin and one spray of the Flonase.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Astelin didn't do anything for me, except give me bloody noses.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
    jmorrissette
    (male)

jmorrissette HB User

My so called sinus headaches and inflamation ended up being part allergy, part TMJ/ cervial muscle spasm.

Two surgerys and now the headaches are gone I have complications from the surgery.

Have a neurologist check you out.
    Make sure you get an MRI of the Head and neck to be sure.

ENT's don't like to see you as a whole, they think sinus aren't affected by other things.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I was going to say the same about the bloody noses! My 12 yr old daughter uses it but doesn't because she hates the bloody noses and the burning it causes. Flonase makes her gag and throw up but it at least isn't as bad.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #8
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

a 12 year old girl should NOT be using steroids! Even drugs like Flonase and Nasarel can be bad news for an kid. Astelin is better, but it also has side-effects, and is not appropriate for kids.

the irresponsibility of doctors sometimes amazes me.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

NO kidding Chiggans?? Both my kids use Nose spray! My 3 year old uses Nasonex one spray on both sides of the nose every day and my 7 year old uses Flonase. Their Pediatrician and Allergist have put them on this. I was thinking of taking them off of them and just use antishitimines for them which they take as well.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

My brother who is nine years old uses a steriod spray. One spray in each nostril. If my brother didnt use it he couldnt breathe right and might even have developed asthma which my dad has. Also I dont think a small dose is dangerous for kids. These drugs have been studied for long periods and they showed no difference in the blood work of children who took them. I think they are safe for kids at such a small dose.

Also I cant take astelin. I was so tired on it I couldnt barely get thru the day. It did work though.

Last edited by tooanxious; 07-14-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

Halls,

antihistamines and decongestants are fine, but I would never give kid steroids long-term. There are some exceptions: if a toddler comes down with a serious bronchial infection, he might need Abuterol for a week, to reduce inflammation.

Remember that lots of kids outgrow allergies, and some develop new ones. Flonase actually increases the risk of fungal sinus infections if used long-term. Believe me, you don't want your kids getting fungal infections of the nose. It makes what we went through look pretty mild. My next-door neighbor had this, and he almost died! Just like me, he now keeps his sinuses in check through consistent irrigation.

I am a firm believer in the dangers of medications, after suffering a severe reaction to an antibiotic last year, that left me with nerve damage in my arms. Another medication gave me a lot of GI problems that went on for months.

I have a 2 year old, and I am very careful about what he takes, and I never jump to put him on something just because the doctor wants me to go away.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
    Halls
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Halls HB User

HMM, well I think I will stop the steriod nasal sprays for my kids and just stick to the antihistimines for now. I have been thinking about doing this and just irrigating their nose to prevent infection.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #13
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Yes, medications can be dangerous, but there have been numerous studies showing there is no systemic absorbtion of cortisol from nasal sprays. Of all the medicines I take, Flonase is actually the one I worry about the least. I would have no problems giving it to my child if he needed it, while I do have concerns about Singulair and certain antibiotics. The preventive action of Flonase is worth it's weight in gold IMHO.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

it's not so much the systemic action of the steroid, it is the higher incidence of fungal infection which freaks me out. Here you are taking something that helps the sinus passages, but at the same time it could cause a life-threatening infection in the same area!

Closed Thread