It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• My son and Allergy Shots

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
    underpaidmom
    (female)

underpaidmom HB User
    Unhappy My son and Allergy Shots

Hello, I am new here and had a few questions. I have been trying to search the internet about my 5 year old son and have come up with nothing. He is going to be starting his allergy treatments tomorrow. His doctor discribed to me something that no one seems to know what I am talking about. I hope that someone on here does. They are going in tomorrow to put a bubble of medication under his skin. They will numb it first with an injection and then inject the medicine. We will then continue on next week with injections 3 times a week to start. I was in shock at the time the 64 stick test was done from the screaming and fighting of my son that things were not registering with me when I was in the office and things were being thrown at you so fast that asking about the medicine bubble didn't dawn on me that much. He said it needed to be done so that was it, but now I am nervous for him. The grasses and trees section was so swelled up that it swelled into the sticks next to it. Poor kid can't even go outside without his eyes swelling shut. We had the test done in April, but he said that the injections would do little to help him this allergy season and that we should wait until this summer. It is upon us now and I am so nervous about tomorrow. I know that shots have to be done because nothing else is helping with his attacks. Sorry to ramble, but was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this bubble injection or have had it done. If not than I guess I will find out tomorrow. Thanks and sorry to bother everyone.

Last edited by underpaidmom; 06-28-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: My son and Allergy Shots

The standard procedure with allergy shots is that they do an injection (or two or three) at a set interval. The injection is given under the skin, but generally deep enough so that it doesn't cause the skin to bubble up (like with a TB test) and not deep enough to go into the muscle. So it doesn't result in the muscle soreness that you get from vaccinations because it doesn't go into the muscle.

Three times a week is fairly frequent, but not unwarranted if his allergies are very severe. When I first started shots, I went twice a week. They keep increasing the dose by very small increments each time they give the injections, until they get to a set level (the maintenance dose). So going more frequently will get him up to the maintenance dose faster and get him more allergy relief faster (hopefully).

I've never heard of them doing a numbing injection before giving allergy shots, though. It seems pointless because the numbing injection will hurt just as much as the shot itself. The first time I had surgery they offered to numb me before putting in the IV, and they ended up sticking me with this needle 3-4 times so that I wouldn't feel the single needle stick of the IV. And those numbing shots felt just about like my allergy shots (or worse!). Perhaps they meant that they would numb it with a cream? There are some numbing creams that they can use before giving injections. I've never encountered this, but I didn't start shots until I was in college, and they think that by that age you shouldn't be afraid of needles. But since they want him to get shots three times a week and since he's so young, I guess it would make sense if they could make it less painful. And even without numbing, it's not all that bad. It hurts for a second, but then it's over.

And I have definitely had an improvement in my allergies and asthma since starting shots. Before I was on the shots I was in the ER with asthma attacks several times a year (whenever I went home to visit my parents and their cats). After I started shots, I am living with my three cats (which I am allergic to) and haven't been to the ER since. This is not to say that you should go out and buy an animal that he's allergic to just because he's on the shots, but they can make a big difference.

Good luck tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
    underpaidmom
    (female)

underpaidmom HB User
    Re: My son and Allergy Shots

Thanks for your reply. Hearing that the shots helped you that much makes me a feel better. As far as the procedure today goes he definetly said that it will be a bubble injected that will be painful enough to warrant a numbing shot first. This is why I am so nervous. A friend of mine, who is a Nurse Practitioner, that I spoke to this week said that is sounds like a slow release antihistime due to the aggressiveness of the shots that he is about to get, but I had never heard of it before. She wasn't completely sure that this is what it could be. We will find out in 2 hours though. Was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this before.

Thanks again for your reply. I have had bad allergies since I was a kid, but never went through allergy shots, so I hope that he will do much better than I did as a kid. I suffered infection after infection due to my allergy and sinus problems. We were in the military growing up, so we went from doctor to doctor all over the country, so I was never with one doctor long enough for them to insist allergy shots.

Closed Thread