It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Tired of Post Nasal Drip!!!! Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
    concerned99

concerned99 HB User
    Tired of Post Nasal Drip!!!! Please Help

Hi All,

Looking for some guidance in getting my post nasal drip resolved. So back in Jan. 05 I go acute bronchitis with a productive cough. Went to the doctor, got my antibiotics and everything resolved in about 3 weeks.

In March. 05 I began getting the feeling of mucus dripping down my throat and that got my cough started again. Went back to my doctor, she told me I have post nasal drip and got allegra. that did not help at all.

The mucus dripping behind my throat would be worse and better than other days. I went to an allergist in the early part of May 05 and he did the whole allergist test and am allergic to trees, dust, some nuts...

He prescribed some steroids did not really help much. However I did find that a nasal rinse does help a bit. Is there anything else that can be done to end my post nasal drip issue for good!!!??? I just never thought PND would hit me this hard....

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatful!

Thanks,

Hasnain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
    DaVinci
    (female)

DaVinci HB User
    Re: Tired of Post Nasal Drip!!!! Please Help

The most effective remedy for eliminating, or at least reducing, phlegm from the repiratory tract is an amino acid derivative called N-acetyl-cysteine. It is also a powerful antioxidant, can be taken in oral capsule form. It actually dissolves the mucus by cutting up mucoprotein molecules into smaller, less viscous fragments. It's an excellent oral chelation agent - it can hook up with toxic heavy metals such as lead, mercury, copper, aluminium etc in the body and remove them through the kidneys. Definitely worth a trial period.
    Also boost immunity and prevent mucous buildup with cod liver oil, EFAs,vit E, my favourite for everything...vit C and of course zinc.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

The last post had excellent advice but also don't give up on the Sinus Rinse. I think you should use it at least twice a day.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
    celtic_mom

celtic_mom HB User

All good advice, but I would also suggest you find an ENT. I was dx'd with chronic sinusitis months after dealing with bouts of bronchitis. Turned out the sinusitis caused the bronchitis because the courses of antibiotics I was given weren't long enough to kill the infection in my sinuses. Now I am constantly dealing with drainage from my sinuses into my chest and throat even w/o infection. I take sudafed and guaifenesin 2-3 times a day and that helps a lot with mucus control.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Did you try any other antihistamines besides the allegra? Am surprised the allergy doc didn't prescribe as that might take care of it. I use Zyrtec and it does well for me.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
    concerned99

concerned99 HB User

Thanks for the update people. I will definitely continue using the nasal rinse and see where that goes. It just sux to have to wake and deal with it every morning.

If I've been having PND for a few months now, does that mean my immune system is not strong enough to fight it off? If so, what can I do to make my immune system stronger?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

There are numerous ways to improve your immune system. First off, a good diet full of vegetables and fruits and lean meats. Then a good multivitamin and add lots of vitamin C and zinc. Go to a local health food store. Look around and ask questions.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
    serpentgirl
    (female)

serpentgirl HB User

Da Vinci, where would one find N-acetyl-cysteine? Would someplace like GNC carry it?

Thanks!!!!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #9
    jmorrissette
    (male)

jmorrissette HB User

Clarinex and Mucinex worked for me.

Zytec too.

Allegra and Claritin did nothing.

ENT's sometimes are surgery happy. I got talked into it and it just caused more symptoms.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
    jimmyjamm
    (male)

jimmyjamm HB User

GNC carries the N-acetyl-cysteine, but only in 600mg capsules which is a pretty high amount of it... in a daily-multivitamin you'll only see about 10mg in it... i'm not sure if that much NAC will have an effect on you but i've taken a couple capsules and it gave me crazy diarrhea... unless it was the taco bell i had earlier that day.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

If the steroids didn't seem to help, then I would guess that maybe you have an infection up there. When you have an infection and take steroids, PND often gets worse because all that stuff is finally able to drain properly.

I also have had good luck with NAC. There is a lot of interesting info on the web about it. But I think it is more useful for infections than allergies. If you have allergies , you need to tackle them with antihistimines and maybe allergy shots.

Closed Thread