It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• "dry" allergies??????? to dust?? can someone please comment?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
    Emak

Emak HB User
    "dry" allergies??????? to dust?? can someone please comment?

can someone please help me... i am hanging on by a thread here...

I have have had a very dry stuffy nose for at least 3 years.. doesn't run, no sneezing, but when I MAKE myself sneeze it runs like crazy.. never bothered me too severely till this last April/may...

now for 3 months i have had a terrible terrible pressure headache and heavy-headed feeling, along with severe brain fog.....my life has been HELLLL for 3 months...hasn't let up even for a second! A doctor told me he thinks I have allergies. But without runny sneezy nose? is this really possible?

My brain MRI showed only minimal inflamation in the maxillaries...which that area doesn't even bother me, its the frontal / forehead area that is worst..

Only thing I can think of is how dusty my room is. I spend about 90% of my life in it. If I go more than 2 weeks without vacuuming, I get a MASSIVE amount of dust in the vacuum... and after about 3 weeks of no dusting, everything gets caked with dust like a light dusting of snow....

I am in my late 20's/male and other wise healthy as far as I know. Neurologist said it was migraines. Other docs say allergies. I don't know who to believe anymore...do you?

Think maybe the dust could be my problem? Or think maybe i have a neurological prob? thanks...and remember..... dry allergies???? Could my sinuses really be just that irritated and inflamed from dust that they cause me sooo much misery???

I am also very dizzy, every time i turn around i get dizzy, I feel lightheaded and like im going to pass out all day, and the room just swims around constantly

what is your gut feeling? i am at the end of my rope, i am so miserable...I have had loads of blood tests, brain MRI, CT, MRA head/neck, and inner ear testing....no answers

ps- i should mention that my room is quite dusty...but otherwise clean...its just dusty because I think of the carpet mostly, plus I'm in the attic with a seperate air conditioner and without the a/c on it quicky gets 90 degrees in here during the day because the air seeps in from the outer attic.

If at night i turn out all the lights, I can shine my flashlight in the dark and see dust particles floating around. and if i slap my blanket it looks like a snow storm of dust..

the turbines in my nose are constantly swolen and quite red, both sides, OH and the pressure behind my forehead is awful! but again, no significant mucus blockage! SO CONFUSED!

Last edited by Emak; 08-09-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: "dry" allergies??????? to dust?? can someone please comment?

If the turbinates in your nose are swollen, then you probably have allergies. Not everyone with allergies has a runny nose. When allergies are really bad, the mucus gets quite thick.

You should get tested for allergies, and then you will have your answer. If they are positive, you can get shots, and take measures to avoid your triggers. If the test is negative, you can follow the neurologist's reccommendations of treatment.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

I agree with SN. Get allergy shots. Or at least talk with an allergist. I dont have asthma, but my allergist said if I never took care of my allergies I could develop it [asthma]. Also, one of the best things I could have done was get an air purifier (try walmart, target). You clean that baby about every 2 weeks and it collects all kinds of nasty stuff. make sure you clean your room with a mask to protect yourself. Also, I will get a shower afterwards and use my neil med sinus rinse, just in case i inhaled too much. you can snort up some baking soda and salt water in your hand to flush out the allergens. Shots will help u big time for things u cannot avoid on a daily basis.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
    Emak

Emak HB User

Thanks folks, but just a couple follow up questions...

If I do have allergies, is it guaranteed that I would have thick mucus in my sinuses causing the pressure? Or could the linings of my sinuses just be red and swolen and painful? Reason I ask is because my MRI only pointed out minimal inflamation in the maxillary sinuses (the ones in your cheeks). And its my forehead that is pressure/painful. I am considering experimenting with this Mucinex to see if anything drains. But again, I am skeptical since the MRI didn't show any blockage?

Still my main question is, can it be allergies without mucus blockage?

Old 08-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
    ms k
    (female)

ms k HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emak

If I do have allergies, is it guaranteed that I would have thick mucus in my sinuses causing the pressure? Or could the linings of my sinuses just be red and swolen and painful? Reason I ask is because my MRI only pointed out minimal inflamation in the maxillary sinuses (the ones in your cheeks). And its my forehead that is pressure/painful. I am considering experimenting with this Mucinex to see if anything drains. But again, I am skeptical since the MRI didn't show any blockage?

Old 08-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

if your allergies are not controled, they can cause sinus problems. i also had a structural problem [deviated septum] this caused a mucus ball to seep into my maxiallry sinus. you have to get your allergies controlled b/c sinus infections are hell. get a decongestant claritin-d, spray such as rhinocort, and mucinex for chest congestion. dont use afrin or sudafed for more than 3 days.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
    ms k
    (female)

ms k HB User

Im not a Dr but my kid and i have bad allergies and it is amazing how it can effect different people differently. My nose runs and i sneeze all the time and thats the only symptom i have. My Kid coughs all night when bothered with allergies no other symptoms. After repeated asking the dr finally sent her to the allergist and they did the test on her back and she was highly allergic to dust mites. maybe this helps. allergies can be MISERABLE. i think you need to see an allergists cause they can do a test and figure out if that is the problem.
    yes i feel you could have allergies without mucus.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #8
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emak

No you don't have to have thick mucus. I assumed you did because you talked about congestion. But allergies can just make the tissues in your sinuses very swollen (just like your turbinates) There is also a type of rhinitis that is not caused by allergies.

But don't rely on the MRI to tell you whether or not you have mucus. Just because there is no blockage, doesn't mean you have no congestion. My Ct scan also "looked great" Even when extremely congested. The CT or MRI shows inflammation of your sinus tissue, just not inflamed enough to be a sinus infection. THis happenened to me too, but it also showed a permantly enlarged turbinate. I had to beg the ENT to go into my sinuses during surgery, and he was shocked to see all the "gunk" up there. But non of it was infection, which is why it didn't show on the CT scan.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that from you said, your MRI doesn't show any type of sinus infection, (which is all most ENT's care about),but actually sounds very consistant for allergy inflammation.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

I got tested for dust allergies and I came out highly allergic to them. I also have a lot of dust floating around where I live. I dont have the sneezing and runny nose but I doi have major rhinitis or inflamationon the nose. This causes the turbinintes to be blocked and really thick PND that feels like I am choking at times. I dont have a lot of mucos. Why dont youo try a nasal steriod and antihistamine combination for two weeks and see if your symptoms go away? You cant fix the problem if you dont try some medicine to fix it. If that doesnt do it then it prolly isnt allergies.

Last edited by tooanxious; 08-11-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
    Emak

Emak HB User

Well I saw my regular doctor today.

He told me that I haven't told him anything to make him think I have allergies *sigh*. Yet another doctor was "sure" I had allergies.

He put me on Lexapro for depression...which yes I am depressed, but these symptoms I'm having don't fit the depression.

I also have mild to moderate narrowing of the cervical spine (neck spondylosis) as proven by an MRI.

My personal theory is that it is either 1 of 3 things:

1- the spondylosis in my neck causing my heavy headed feeling/tension headache like state

2- allergies

or 3- maybe i'm just crazy

I'm so distressed, what does anyone think?

Old 08-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Who was the doctor who was sure you had allergies? If it was an ENT or allergist, I would take his advice over a regular doctor. Most regular doctors don't know @#$% about allergies IMO. When I was finally referred to my first allergist, he shook his head, and said I should've been referred years ago. ANother friend of mine, was constantly given allergy medicine for years, that never seemed to help. Finally, her doctor gave her a referral to an ENT (after a lot of arm twisting). It turned out she has zero allergies confirmed by allergy testing, and had heriditary polyps in her sinuses!

Don't let your doctor think you are crazy! You know you're not, and you know that something is wrong. As someone with a degree in psychology, I think regualr MD's should not be allowed to prescribe anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs. They hand them out like candy to "difficult" patients, that they aren't able to diagnose correctly. Psychiatrists use much more stringent criteria to diagnose. And ironically, they are often the ones to find the medical reason behind the symptoms that the regualr doctor didn't, because they are so well trained in the differential diagnosises.

It's time to find a new doctor IMHO.

P.S. I once had a doctor tell me I had anxiety. It turned out, I had something called sino-bronchial syndrome and needed sinus surgery. I've told the entire story on many threads if you want to read it.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 08-12-2005 at 10:47 AM.

Closed Thread