It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Sore throat while on augmentin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 AM   #1
    va_girl64
    (female)

va_girl64 HB User
    Sore throat while on augmentin

I have just finished taking a six week course of augmentin (last night was last pill) for a chronic sinus infection that was just discovered on a CT..doctor said I had probably had it for years by the looks of it. The right side of my throat is killing me! It feels as tho my tonsil is swollen and very painful when swallowing..my lymph gland on that side is also swollen. I had to remove my contacts yesterday because I kept getting this film over my right contact..it's almost like I'm worse now that I've taken all this medicine for this sinus infection than I was to begin with.

I have been doing the saltwater sinus rinses also.. could this possibly be causing me problems with my throat?? Haven't heard anyone else complain of these symptoms.. and if it's an infection shouldn't the augmentin have taken care of it? Sighhhhh, I am so fed up with my head..lol. Thanks for any help/advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
    cubbiejr
    (male)

cubbiejr HB User
    Re: Sore throat while on augmentin

Hi
    I feel like the same way you have had it on and off for long periods of time and think Ive had it since last August did you have any visable symptoms I dont have any but can feel it and doctor thinks its just an allergy Ive been on augmentin 500 and 850 and had minor sore throats that were bothersome. I want to get some kind of test done to get rid of this thing because been in and out of work for past three months

Old 08-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I know with me, sometimes the antibiotic has done it's job, but it still takes a week or 2 after you finish it for all that nasty stuff to drain out.

But I would check with your doctor to be sure. You might need a different antibiotic or possibly some sinus procedure.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
    va_girl64
    (female)

va_girl64 HB User

Hi guys.. thx so much for the feedback. I went to my allergist yesterday who agrees with you sneezydiva. She said it's from all that "junk" (YUCK) draining down my throat and that now my throat is infected! It's probably viral but got ANOTHER antibiotic (just finished 6 wks. worth.. grrr) just in case.. ceftin this time but only for 5 days, guess I can cope with 5 more days.. and yes, I may need surgery to get rid of the "residual cyst" that I have in my sinus's..but I'm trying to do everything I can to prevent that from happening.

Cubbie.. no "real" visible signs to anyone that didn't know what to look for, I just sounded VERY nasal.. people were always saying to me "aww, you sound awful..how long have you been sick?" that always made me feel good..lol. I didn't realize just how much pain I had been in for so long until after finishing the augmentin.. I couldn't stand the bright sunlight even, I just had come to believe it was that way for everyone.. guess it just happened so gradually over a long period of time.

Anyway, thx again. Take care and good luck. P.S. Cubbiejr., have you considered the sinus surgery or had a CT of your sinus's? Hope all goes well for you.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
    cubbiejr
    (male)

cubbiejr HB User

had one done in 2001 then got better but nobody wants to give me a CT because they dont think I need one? What do I do going to a doctor next week for lyme test so will talk to the doc about it hope everything goes well with you. Just wondering did you always feel warm body wise and around the head especially forehead and a dry nose

Last edited by cubbiejr; 08-19-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Closed Thread