It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Turbinate Reduction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
    Turbinate Reduction

Has anyone had a procedure called Somnoplasty or turbinate reduction (not Septoplasty). This one is done with radio frequency. I'm considering this and wanted to know how effective it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Turbinate Reduction

I had a turbinate reduction with my sinus surgery, but not with the radio waves. It was very successful. Even with the packing, I could tell the nostril was not blocked and I was going to be able to breathe better. When the packing was removed, it was unbelievable how much better I could breathe, and now my right sinus drains much better also.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:56 AM   #3
    Chaddy
    (female)

Chaddy HB User

I too had my turbinates reduced. I also had septoplasty and rhinoplasty all done together. The improvement in my breathing was noted when I woke up after surgery, even with the plastic nasal stent, & post op swelling. I just had the nasal stents removed & it's amazing how much better I can breath now. I just didn't know any other way of breathing than thru my mouth. Gotta love modern surgery! I'd do it over again if I had too. The experience wasn't that bad. The pre op anxiety was the worst!

Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Hiya

I had turbinate reduction done too but not with the radio frequency. However, the right side was not as good as the left and now, the ENT said that my turbinate has grown back abit. And the surgery was very painful for me.

The radio frequency on the turbinates should be effective and there's minimal bleeding. How bad are your turbinates? Are they extremely huge that they completely block the nasal passages? They would inject some local anesthetic into the turbinates then wait for awhile... and insert the probe into the turbinates and turn the machine on to reduce the turbinate. Have you asked your surgeon how many of that procedure has he done? How effective also depends on the skill of the surgeon. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

Cheerangel,

My right side is worse than my left. It isn't blocked all the time. In the mornings I generally can breathe fine, however, as the day progresses and I exercise, etc. my face gets hot and that's when they swell up. I've been trying to avoid surgery for as long as possible.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piano0105
    Cheerangel,

My right side is worse than my left. It isn't blocked all the time. In the mornings I generally can breathe fine, however, as the day progresses and I exercise, etc. my face gets hot and that's when they swell up. I've been trying to avoid surgery for as long as possible.

That sounds like vasomotor rhinitis... or is it allergy to pollen? What's your diagnosis? How have you been? So are you going to have the Somnoplasty done?

Closed Thread