It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Hazelnuts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
    storm12
    (female)

storm12 HB User
    Hazelnuts

Would my allergist be able to test me for hazelnut allergy?

I can normally eat chocolate and most kinds of nuts without incident but a couple days ago, someone gave me a small piece of a chocolate bar with hazelnuts in it. I don't know if I've had hazelnuts in the past or not. Within two minutes of eating this little piece of candy, my lips were swelling and my throat was burning. I took benedryl and my albuterol inhaler. I felt funny for about 12 hours, but I was breathing the whole time, even though I first I felt like I was choking.

I have found some research saying that adults with tree pollen allergies may develop hazelnut allergies - and I am allergic to tree pollen. However, I've known for some time now that I can't use skin products with witch hazel in it because my skin had an instant reaction a few times a few years ago, and now I am just frightened of trying it again.

Last edited by storm12; 10-18-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Hazelnuts

Hmm....I'm allergic to tree pollens but have no trouble with hazelnuts....I've never heard that relationship....

Old 10-18-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
    Cut-Throat
    (male)

Cut-Throat HB User

I also have a Hazelnut allergy. Only raw ones. I can eat roasted salted ones just fine.

I asked my allergist about this and he said that Hazelnuts were related to the Birch tree family. I am extremely allergic to Birch pollen in the spring also.

I first noticed this when I ordered a Gin Gimlet and it is garnished with raw Hazelnuts. My pallate started itching, just like when exposed to Birch Pollen.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
    rck213
    (female)

rck213 HB User

Do an online search of birch allergy and you will find info on oral allergy syndrome. Many foods are similar to the birch pollen and MAY cause an almost instant allergic reaction when injested. This will not happen with everyone and may only happen with a few things with some people. I get soft palate and laryngeal swelling with brazil nuts and sunflower seeds and oil. IGE blood testing showed only a reaction to birch trees.

I carry an epi pen and benadryl (dye free) at all times.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
    storm12
    (female)

storm12 HB User

Well, I now have an epipen, and I think I ate another hazelnut last night (there were some at the botton of the gelato at an italian restaurant, even though I had specificed I wanted it plain!) I didn't use the epipen, but when my mouth throat and ears got insanely itchy - and my asthma flared, I did take benedryl (which makes me act hungover), but eventually stopped what was happening. I got a blood test on Friday, and my allergist will get the results back in a few days. I hope something shows up so that people don't think I am "nuts" (hee-hee).

Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
    storm12
    (female)

storm12 HB User

Well, I am allergic to hazelnuts, peanuts, and to lesser extent most other nuts. I am mourning because plain m+ms have peanuts in them. It's my most favorite kind of chocolate, ever.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
    MandyPandy
    (female)

MandyPandy HB User

yep. They should be able to test you for food allergies and environmental allergies.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
    kstaal
    (female)

kstaal HB User

your reaction does sound like an Anaphylactic reaction i would definally avoid anything that may contain hazelnuts until you get your results back each time you are exposed you risk the chance of developing a worse reaction.

Closed Thread