It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Desperate...miserable. Please help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User
    Exclamation Desperate...miserable. Please help.

This will be long. I apologize. But I feel so horrible right now and I don't know what to do. Here's some background info. I'm 20 years old. Had a really bad alcohol problem a year ago and smoked for five years. After I got a handle of my alcohol problem I should have been the healthiest I'd been in a while but I started feeling awful. It got worse as the months went by. Was fatigued all the time, face was flushing red, had body aches, swimming feeling in my forehead, dizziness, spaced out alot and that was it. Then about 2 or 3 months ago, my parents finally let me see the doctor (pediatrician). He x-rayed my sinuses and diagnosed me with a sinus infection and put me on 4,000 miligrams of augmentin for 10 days. After that I felt the best I'd felt in years. I thought it was over with...until I got sick again. This time I felt worse. I was so fatigued that I thought I would collapse at any moment sometimes. My throat got sore, my face started to flush red at times again, the inside of my head and face burned plus the other symptoms were back. Went back to the same doc. Did another x-ray. Said the infection was back worse. Prescribed same dose of augmentin as before except for 6 weeks. Quit smoking completely. I started to feel better again. Then started to feel bad while I was on the meds. So I made an appointment with my ENT. He did a CT scan of my sinuses and found that they were completely clear and that I should stop taking the antibiotics after 20 days. He even said that it was doubtful I had a sinus infection in the first place because my sinuses were so clear. So I stopped after 20 days and here I am, my face and entire head is burning, and I feel like my face might explode. I have a temp of 99.2-99.5, and I have bad breath and a bad taste in my mouth, memory problems... One other thing I forgot to mention is that I have few to no symptoms until night time rolls around. That's when things act up. My mom seems to think that this is all caused by allergies. To what I don't know. But if it's allergies, why do I only feel bad at night? Why do I feel fine when I'm on antibiotics. What could this be an allergy to? I don't get nasal congestion that I'm aware of or any of the other classic symptoms. I have 3 dogs that live in the house and that's a possibility.My mom is very allergic to wheat and yeast, etc...Has to do a special diet. All I know is I'm absolutely miserable when I should be the healthiest I've been in 5 years. I seriously feel like I'm dying when I'm not on the antibiotics. I also noticed that my symptoms didn't start acting up tonight until I ate some spaghetti. Please. Any ideas would help. I'm going to make an appointment as soon as I possibly can but I don't know when that will be which is why I'm here. Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for any help. If you need me to clarify anything or you need more information please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 12-23-2005 at 12:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
    I C Hot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I C Hot HB User
    Re: Desperate...miserable. Please help.

Hi ebon_aurora,

I am so sorry to hear all the problems you are having. Good for you for getting the drinking under control and for stopping smoking. As for the Sinus problems, the best thing for you is to experiment with different foods and keep a journal of how you feel right after eating and how you feel later at night. You might go back to your ENT while things seem flared up so he can see. Also, I would get a good air cleaner for your bedroom so when you are asleep you would be breathing cleaner air. I hope something here helps. Take care and don't give up, you will find an answer.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

have you tried taking daily allergy medication? Try Claritan or Benadryl for a few days to see if this helps.. if you don't have the symptoms while you are on them then at least you will know it's an allergy (then there's the fun part of figuring out WHAT you are allergic to). But if it doesn't help you can rule out allergies. I agree it also sounds like you need to be careful with what you eat and start keeping a log, you may have a food allergy.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

the reason the antibiotic is helping is because all antibiotics carry with them an anti-inflammatory property. It sounds like your problems (and mine) are caused by chronic allergic inflammation of the soft tissue in the sinus cavities, with possibly some lung involvement.

Because the problems happen at night, it suggests a possible dust allergy.

An irrigation routine (using a machine, Entsol spray, or neti pot) should help keep the sinuses clear. Get a HEPA filter for your bedroom, and see an allergist to get tested. If the CT scan is clear, you don't have any major issues, so stop taking the antibiotics. Another option is a low dose (10mg a day for 5 days) course of Prednisone just to get you straight again.

stop smoking and cut down on the drinking. Alcohol swells the sinuses, and we know what smoking does.

Also get some Alkalol from the drug store (you might have to order it). This is a mucus solvent that can be gargled or used with irrigation. It works great for me.

Closed Thread