It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Has removing bedroom carpet helped your allergies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
    Has removing bedroom carpet helped your allergies?

my allergies are really bad first thing in the morning for about 2 hours of non stop sneezing and nose blowing. I have an air purifier, take claritin d, allergy shots as well. my doc said i should think about taking out the carpet in my room. has this been well worth it for anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
    Anybody
    Inactive

Anybody HB User
    Re: Has removing bedroom carpet helped your allergies?

Have you considered that you air conditioning/heating system could be blowing all sorts of mold, dust, bacteria etc all over? Also be sure that you get one of those expensive hepa filters. Look for high numbers on their rating info. The higher the better.
    I had my system cleaned this spring when my inhalent allergies got so bad that I thought that I was headed for the hospital. This solved the problem. I still have my carpets, and when I vacuum I do get some stinging in the nose, but it soon goes away.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
    Adidas0298
    (male)

Adidas0298 HB User
    Re: Has removing bedroom carpet helped your allergies?

To answer your question, YES! My condo I moved out of 2 years ago was "all" carpet. Im surprised there wasnt carpet on the walls, the builder carpeted the heck outta the place. My allergies were nuts. I had to buy 2 more Hepa filters and a new expensive vacuum with 2 hepa filters. It helped some, but what "really" helped was when I sold the condo and bought my house. All wood floors. Oh my god what a relief! ive been here for 2 years and my allergies, although still very active (i have 3 cats and a dog and a smoking boyfriend!) are a ton better since I got rid of the carpet.

If you do have carpet, vacuum it daily with a hepa filter equipped vacuum. If you can afford to tear it out and have pergo or hardwood installed its a great idea and looks great (easy to clean too).

I somehow remember my allergist recommending a spray that keeps dander/dust on the carpet so you can vacuum it up. I think its expensive and that was a few years back.

Do you have any Hepa filters running? That will suck up a lot of dust/dander that would otherwise fall into the carpet and cause allergy attacks.

Closed Thread