It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• My ENT....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User
    Angry My ENT....

This is a long story but I'll try to make it as short as possible...

After complaining to my ENT of fluid in my ears ( which he had me do a hearing test and ear pressure test to confirm ) and of chronic sinus infections now for over two years, he reluctantly placed tubes in one of my ears back in October.

I went back to him yesterday, complaining again of chronic sinus infections and congestion for at least 6 months straight now with horrible post nasal drip, and a chronically swollen lymph node on my right side under my jaw. Also, I told him I had been having alot of bad earaches, and have developed a sound sensitivity. He ignores this, checks my ear, and discovers my tube has "slipped" out of place. Without any warning, he proceeds to remove the tube - which was VERY painful. Apparently it was wedged between my ear canal and my ear drum.

So then he proceeds to say have a good day... and send me on my way. I had to stop him and ask again about my congestion, etc. he says oh, heres a prescription for a steroid nasal spray, the cilia are paralyzed - if you have any more porblems with your EARS come back and see me. Then goes on his merry way.

I'm left now wondering what to do. I don't really think I should fill the prescription, as I don't really think it is going to help. My GP has given me prescription decongestants that did NOT help at all, and was the whole reason he sent me to the ENT. I'm thinking I should just start all over and get referred to a different ENT. Thing is, I'm discovering that all docs are the same, get the patient in and out, so they can get paid, but they DON'T listen. I'm very frustrated at this point and VERY miserable. And here, where I am from, it takes months and months to get an appointment... I don't think I want to wait that long. But making another appt with that ENT just seems pointless...

Anyone have any similar experiences, or ideas?

Last edited by Angela22F; 01-19-2006 at 05:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
    agentbad
    Inactive

agentbad HB User
    Re: My ENT....

well, i would try the steriod nasal spray because ive heard people have some luck with that. however, it sounds like your ENT is too busy or just too lazy to treat you probably and you may want to seek out another ENT. second opinions with allergies can't hurt and can save your live with surgery.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agentbad
    well, i would try the steriod nasal spray because ive heard people have some luck with that. however, it sounds like your ENT is too busy or just too lazy to treat you probably and you may want to seek out another ENT. second opinions with allergies can't hurt and can save your live with surgery.
    I've had allergies for over 20 years and used all kinds of nasal medications. So far, I've found steroid nasal spray to slightly effective.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 AM   #4
    Icky_Metal
    (male)

Icky_Metal HB User

With respect to steroid nasal sprays, I went to see a highly recommended, often published, medical school professor/allergy practitioner. Despite my positive skin tests for allergies (molds, trees, weeds, ect), he declared that my symptoms (almost exactly similar to yours) were NOT caused by allergies b/c I'd been on steroid sprays for months and got little/no relief. He claims that allergies should dramatically improve with steroid sprays. From what I've read, that's not true at all. His diagnosis, of course, freaked me out and I began looking for alternative explanations for my symptoms (other than allergies), such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I don't think I have CFS, but have no idea (it's just the only thing left that fits the bill) and the Drs. don't even know what it is. Anyone know what I'm talking about or am I just losing my mind?

Old 01-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

Thank you for the replies... I think I may seek another ENT... I'm just venting I guess, cause this has been so frustrating, it took me over 6 months to get to this guy... and then was basically, I feel, shrugged off.

Icky Metal - I'm right there with you lol. I don't think I have CFS, but it was a consideration at one point. I have tested positive for few allergies, mainly cats and cigarettes, which - all things considering - should not make me as miserable as I am. Have you had your thyroid tested? Thats my next move. I have been experiencing alot of symptoms that point towards hypothyroidism. As for all of this, I just wish he would have checked my sinuses. Maybe sinusitis is my problem... because I do have CONSTANT sinus infections. Then again, I have TMJ... which in some cases can cause similar symptoms. ( ie: sinus headaches, hissing/buzzing/ringing/roaring sounds in ears, diminshed hearing, ear pain with no infection present, clogged/stuffy/full feeling ears, feeling of "foreign" object in throat - to name a few - check out [url]http://healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=108754)[/url]. Although all that still would not cause all the extra fluid and mucuos... I'm at a loss... lol... I'll figure it out someday. I'm starting to really feel like a hypochondriac lol... no one I know really understands what I'm experiencing, including the doctors apparently lol.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

I would try the nasal spray but also see another ENT or possibly an allergist. Sometimes really bad allergies can present symptoms of sinusitis, but you don't truely have an infection. And as you've discovered, most ENT's act like you're wasting their time if you don't have an infection.

As far as nosesprays go, make sure you use a saline spray and blow your nose first before using it it. My allergist actually had me irrigate before using it it. Otherwise, in his words, "you're putting oil on water." The spray just sits on top of the mucus, and never reaches your nasal tissues where it needs to go in order to work.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

I would definately see another doctor. Don't let your problem go on any longer!!

Old 01-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
    osmonxp
    (male)

osmonxp HB User
    Lightbulb Re: My ENT....

Nasal steroids work, you just need to find the right one. I tried Flonase, Nasonex and Rhinocort without any success; six year later I was given Nasacort and started working almost immediately, they keep telling you that they old do the same thing but some people in fact react different to each brand. Give the nasal spray a try but look but another ENT doctor, keep in mind that most of those nasal steroids take from 5 to 7 days to start working.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
    dvachon
    (female)

dvachon HB User

Ask for a glutathione nasal spray. It saved my life. After suffering from sinus infections for 10 months I was told I had nasal polyps. Within 18 days of using the spray my polyps were gone. I was so thrilled. I didnt need surgery. When we suffer from an illness our bodies usually dont produce enough glutathione. Its the master of all antioxidants. My doc believes in supplements and receives regular emails from a local pharmacist about new products on the market. Go to your local pharmacy that's a family business. The chain pharmacies probably wont compound the spray. You'll have to find a local pharmacy that compounds its own stuff. Its new on the market in Canada and Im grateful my doc told me about it. I dont think I would still be here if it wasnt for that spray. I tried everything nasonex, antiobiotics, etc. Nothing worked except the glutathione nasal spray. My doc said in the future if I get a cold or flu to get a prescription for the spray. Also doc said to try Xlear. It has xylitol in it. Doc also said the xylitol gum is good as it gets rid of the bacteria in your mouth. So less bacteria to travel into the sinus cavities is a good thing. I guess its important to keep those jaws moving everyday to drain the fluids. Don't chew regular gum as it has sugar in it. I did a drastic change in my diet too. No dairy products. Remember its not Got Milk its Got Mucous. Dairy is very bad for you if your susceptible to sinus infections.

Last edited by dvachon; 01-22-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:39 AM   #10
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osmonxp
    Nasal steroids work, you just need to find the right one. I tried Flonase, Nasonex and Rhinocort without any success; six year later I was given Nasacort and started working almost immediately, they keep telling you that they old do the same thing but some people in fact react different to each brand.
    True. I know from my experience that the only nasal medications that have been effective were Nasonex and Flonase.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #11
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

Thank you so much for the replies.

I believe the prescription is for Nasonex... and thinking about it, at this point I'll try almost anything! lol ( and I know to wait and give it time )

Sneezydiva - I'll try the saline spray first and try and clean as much gunk out as I can - thank you for the tip.

dvachon - I have already cut dairy out of my diet as I am lactose intolerant ... and I will ask my new ENT about a glutathione spray if this steriod one does no good...

Just a note... he told me to use the spray at night, just before bed. I guess thats because I'm lying down and it will stay in longer? like won't "run" out as quick?

Last edited by Angela22F; 01-23-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
    dvachon
    (female)

dvachon HB User

Good luck Angela, I know what its like to suffer from that stuff. So hopefully you will see some improvement real soon. Take care. Sending a big hug!

Old 02-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #13
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

I am really sorry... but the following is REALLY GROSS!! lol

I have been using the nasonex now for about 10 days, and its making my PND worse! I can't talk in the mornings (the ENT told me to take it at night before going to bed), and I spend the first hour coughing up REALLY thick, chunky (sorry tmi) green mucuos. And then the rest of the day I'm gagging on this stuff. Anyone have any ideas??

Previously I was constantly clearing my throat and having to "swallow"... it was ever constant and present... but not to the point of gagging on it every morning...

Old 02-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Actually, its a really good thing. Stuff that has been stuck in there finally is able to get out. The fact that is green means it might be infected, so you might want to see your doctor. But don't stop using it, you are finally getting somewhere.

I find it odd he wants you to use it at night though. My allergist said to use it in the a.m. so that I would be upright and things would drain better. Also, taking some mucinex will help thin it out some. And drink LOTS of water! Hang in there!

Old 02-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #15
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

Thank you sneezydiva... I was thinking it was a bad thing! lol. I think I may try taking it in the am as well, I think it may be a lil easier for me.

So losing my voice in the am... and then slowly getting it back... and then in the evenings losing it again, can be attributed to the "dislodging" of all the old gunk?. This too is only since I started taking the nasonex. It's like my throat gets scratchy and sore and swollen. Then again I dont know. It's probably not connected... I've been having problems with a sore throat for almost 2 years now. Definitely time for a new ENT... he is useless.

Can I get mucinex otc? I'm guessing its the brand name? sorry... I've never heard of it.

Last edited by Angela22F; 02-06-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Closed Thread