It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Weird experience with allergy shots? Please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
    mausermama
    (female)

mausermama HB User
    Red face Weird experience with allergy shots? Please help!

I have found no one who can help me with this regard. About a year ago, I was in the midst of taking allergy shots (I am an adult, and I had done a round of shots as a kid). Anyway, the shots weren't going very well. I was extremely sore. I was taking them in the hip, and just having the shot would practically bring me to my knees! Now I'm not a "softie", and have even handled two natural births with no trouble whatsoever, as well as numerous other shots, so I was very confused why this should cause a problem.

Anyway, at a certain point, my entire body from the waist down went completely numb! My primary care physician sent me to the E.R. where they proceeded to to MRIs of the C spine, Lumbar, and brain, and all was normal. They ruled out M.S. or a tumor. This happened very soon after another extremely painful shot. I wondered at the time if this could have been a result of my shots, but all the physicians I saw poo-poohed the idea.

Now, I am just starting back on shots, and got my first building shot last Thursday. As of today, I seriously feel like I sat in something cold and wet, but when I feel back there, I'm just completely normal! I'm frankly frightened by this. Does anyone out there have any experience in this sort of situation? I really need some direction!

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to mausermama:
    Hypnogal (12-02-2010)
    The Following User Says Thank You to mausermama For This Useful Post:
    Hypnogal (12-02-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Weird experience with allergy shots? Please help!

In the hip? No way! Should be in the arm. What sort of doctor are you going to?

Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #3
    mausermama
    (female)

mausermama HB User

He's a board certified allergist and ENT, and is also the head of surgery at some hospital (I can't remember where). I tried the arm, but I get two full shots, and the arm was too small an injection site. My arms were useless after the two shots, and with small children who still occasionally need to be carried, it was not working to have them there. My shot last Thursday was in the leg, not the hip, and I still experienced that cold/wet sensation at the base of my spine.

The following user gives a hug of support to mausermama:
    Hypnogal (12-02-2010)
    The Following User Says Thank You to mausermama For This Useful Post:
    Hypnogal (12-02-2010)
    Old 01-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you getting one in each arm? Are you taking an antihistamine before the injectons? If not, you should be. It will help with the reactions.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
    mausermama
    (female)

mausermama HB User

The answer is yes, and yes. I am still getting quite a bit of redness, but the localized reactions aren't necessarily what I'm worried about, but I am VERY concerned about the neuropathy. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Wow this doesn't sound right at all! I often would get very tired when I first started shots. My doctor diluted my solutions 3 times before I could tolerate them. Perhaps that is what your doctor needs to do, maybe yours are way too strong.

But still your reactions are very odd.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
    mausermama
    (female)

mausermama HB User

I totally agree I'm an odd one. In fact, I couldn't swear that the last experience with the numbness was caused by my shots the last time (although I privately suspected as such), but it's been more than a year, and I find it quite odd that the neuropathy has started again within 2 days of receiving my first shot since the last round of shots more than a year ago. I would like to find someone out there that would at least validate my experience and tell me I'm not crazy! LOL!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #8
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Well, I've had allergy shots for 15 years. I have found that there is a possibility to get dizzy from the serum dose if it's to high. So, your allergist may have to reduce it. Also, prior to getting your shot, you may want to drink some chicken bouillen soup, I've found that it seems to take the edge of the shot itself. Take it from me b/c I had to get 3 at a time.

Closed Thread