It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Septoplasty and Turbinectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
    creinha
    (female)

creinha HB User
    Septoplasty and Turbinectomy

I had a septoplasty and turbinectomy 16 days ago. I'm still getting thick bloody clots when I do the nasal irrigations. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be cleared up by now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
    albertasaurus
    (male)

albertasaurus HB User
    Re: Septoplasty and Turbinectomy

I had the same set of procedures done a few years ago. Very helpful. The clotting, bloody discharge when irrigating will likely continue for a few months. It should not really be a problem. You should really start feeling the benefits fairly soon.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
    Neofree
    (male)

Neofree HB User

I am curious why you had the septoplasty and turbinectomy.. I am about to have the same thing but my problem is Sleep Apnea and I have a deviated septum as well as some difficulty breathing through my nose through the day. But this is the Allergies forum and I am curious what your reason was.

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
    albertasaurus
    (male)

albertasaurus HB User

After years of chronic allergy problems, the turbinates can become hypertrophic ie. permanently enlarged causing lots of breathing problems. Further, while working on the turbinates, the septum is frequently straightened out if deviated as a further measure to improve breathing. So, that's why I posted here on the allergy forum.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

creinha,

hope you are feeling better. i had a septoplasty last spring with some clotting, so dont worry.

what made you do your turbinates? i had a septoplasty, and since this winter i have been so stuffy! did u have a hard time blowing your nose pre surgery (like not being able to blow anything out, arg!)

Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
    creinha
    (female)

creinha HB User

About 3 1/2 to 4 years ago, I started having a lot of sinus infections. After a year or so of taking antibiotics, my regular physician referred me to an allergist. I was testing and found to be allergic to many things, so I started on the allergy shots. It took about 2 years, but I finally made it to the maintenace dose. While the shots helped my asthma tremendously, I continued to have pain in my forehead and down the sides of my nose. I had been telling the allergist ever since I started going to him that it always felt really sore in that area, sometimes the headaches are unbearable, and that I had trouble breathing, especially at night.

The allergist finally did a CT scan and found that I had thickening in the ethmoid sinuses, especially on the side of the deviated septum. He didn't seem concerned and wanted to give me antibiotics. I knew the antibiotics weren't going to work since I tried them so many times, but I thought what the heck, I'll give it one more shot.

In the meantime, the results of the CT scan went to my regular physician who called me to talke about what was going on. I told my doctor that I was fed up. The doctor then referred me to an ENT. The ENT listened to all my complaints. When he examined me, he said that he believed that repairing the deviated septum and reducing the size of the turbinates would take care of my problems.

I had the surgery and I can't believe the difference it has made. I can't tell you how glad I am that I had this done. I reallly didn't realize how obstructed my breathing was. I no longer have to use the steroid nasal spray. I no longer have the headaches. THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!

Closed Thread