It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Removing Cat Dander from a Carpet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
    Master Yoda
    (male)

Master Yoda HB User
    Removing Cat Dander from a Carpet

Hello.

I have very serious cat allergies where i cant stay more than an hour at a persons house without getting sick in terms of breathing and watering eyes.

I will be moving soon to an apartment. The apartment is just what I want in terms of price, location, size and design. However I have one major problem, the previous tenant (4 months ago) had two cats. The landlady informed me that the carpets have been shampooed already and would be done again prior to me moving there. I really want this apartment but im not sure if the shampooing will be enough. I own a Hepa air filter which should help. I heard of a product called X-Mite, but i dont know if it really works.

I was thinking of asking the landlord a weird question. Asking if I could stay at the apartment for an hour or so to see how I react... if there is dander i would react within minutes. If i am fine I assume all would be well.

My question is does the shampoo (i guess steamed... i will ask) very effective removing dander.. Also the walls have been repainted but I doubt that would make a subtle difference. As for ventalation I believe it is natural gas heat.

I am thinking of taking allergy shots which would improve my tolerance.

Please reply soon, and have a good day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Removing Cat Dander from a Carpet

You would be wise to ask the landlord if you could stay in the apt. for an hour to be sure you tolerate the area.

Remember, air filters, under frig, stove, etc. will have cat dandruf also.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If you're that bad, take the shots. They're worht it.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
    Mar1
    (female)

Mar1 HB User

Many apartments, at least in my area, will have the carpets cleaned and treated with something that reduces the allergens. They do it in every apartment an animal has lived in between renters. You may ask them if it's something they use and if they don't normally do it, if they would mind doing it in this situation.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
    Master Yoda
    (male)

Master Yoda HB User

Thank you ladies for your replies.

I ended up staying at the apartment for 1 hour and i was totally fine. If needed i will use a steamvacuum which is pretty effective in removing and killing any cat dander and dust mites.

Closed Thread