It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Airborne allergies, Singulair?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
    Tmaster
    (male)

Tmaster HB User
    Airborne allergies, Singulair?

Hello, I've been dealing with air allergies for the last year, I've tried Claritin, Cortizone shot, and Rhincort spray. None of these helped. I do take robitussin with Pseudoephedrine in it, that helps a little. Also Xlear natural spray. I have been getting NAET treatments for the last 9 months, with some improvement, But the air is so bad here now that I might try some singulair that one of my doctors has prescribed for me. I am worried about the side effects though. I didn't really have any with the claritin but this is a different Drug.

IF any of you have taken singulair please let me know how it went for you, or if it helped. Also any other ideas for these symptoms would be great! Thanks

My Allergy symptoms:
    Sore lymph nodes under chin on neck
    Swollen left lymph node
    Slightly closed esophegus sometimes
    some post nasal drip

Last edited by Tmaster; 04-08-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
    2catfans
    (female)

2catfans HB User
    Re: Airborne allergies, Singulair?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tmaster
    Hello, I've been dealing with air allergies for the last year, I've tried Claritin, Cortizone shot, and Rhincort spray. None of these helped. I do take robitussin with Pseudoephedrine in it, that helps a little. Also Xlear natural spray. I have been getting NAET treatments for the last 9 months, with some improvement, But the air is so bad here now that I might try some singulair that one of my doctors has prescribed for me. I am worried about the side effects though. I didn't really have any with the claritin but this is a different Drug.

IF any of you have taken singulair please let me know how it went for you, or if it helped. Also any other ideas for these symptoms would be great! Thanks

My Allergy symptoms:
    Sore lymph nodes under chin on neck
    Swollen left lymph node
    Slightly closed esophegus sometimes
    some post nasal drip
    Hi Tmaster, I've been taking singulair for 3 or 4 years now. When I had septoplasty, turbinate reduction, adenoidectomy, and tonsilectomy surgery on 2/10/06, I had to stop taking all my medications because, of course I couldn't swallow pills. I was off of my regular medications for 3 weeks. In that time I could tell that I missed my singulair more than any other medication. I had post nasal drip and congestion. That happened once last year too. I forgot to refill my script and ran out. The next week was not very fun. My other allergy meds weren't working as well as they had with the singulair. I finally called my doc and asked for some samples to get me through until I received my script from the mail in pharmacy. I have never had any side effects. In fact I'll have to go to *****.com and look them up. Singular really woks for me. Here is what ***** ([url]http://www.*****.com/drugs/mono-8277-MONTELUKAST+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=6485&drugname=Singulai r+Oral[/url]) says the side effects are: Unusual weakness, stomach upset, diarrhea, dizziness, cough, headache, nausea, vomiting, trouble sleeping, or mouth pain may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: hallucinations, fever, persistent sore throat or earache, flu symptoms.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: stomach pain, muscle aches/cramps, irregular heartbeat, dark urine, yellowing eyes and skin, numbness or tingling of the hands or feet, dull sense of touch, easy bruising or bleeding, swelling, seizures.

A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, severe swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

T master,

Leukotriene inhibitors like Singulair can leave you a little more prone to picking up bugs & infections. We didn't like them in our family for that reason, we were sicker than with the allergies. BUT, of course, some people do find them helpful.

Have you been tested & found to be positive for IgE related allergies? Some of your symptoms are not typical for allergy & also you do not list many of the common symptoms.

Corticosteroids are heavy-duty artillery for allergy-symptom eradication. If cortisone shots didn't help, one has to wonder if you are one the right track.

I'm certainly not suggesting that your symptoms don't exist, but rather wondering whether there might be some chronic, low-grade infection that is responsible for what you are suffering.

When you say "the air is bad" -- do you mean polluted, or full of pollen. Pollution can weaken the immune system & predispose to both allergy/asthma as well as to infection.

Best wishes.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
    Tmaster
    (male)

Tmaster HB User

Thanks for the replys,

My air allergies all started last year about this same time. I was out working in the yard for 3 hours. That night I got really bad and i Knew it was becuase I was out and the pollens and things were very very high. I thought I would get better in a couple of days, beacuse this happened to me before once and a while but not as extreme. Well I didnt get better.
    I did have the Corticosteroids shot, but it was only half the dose, Because I was affrade it might hurt me. It did make my stomach un easy off and on for a week, The shot did help me about 30% which was good but i was so bad that It wasnt enough. I have been to 4 doctors, trying the things i listed. I Just wear a mask outside everytime, and i have 3 hepa air cleaners running in the house. I was doing a lot better in the fall and winter.

I have the red eritated eye lids also, when i have been out, but they get better like 10 min after i have come in and washed up.

Its been a long painfull tiresum year.

I decided to try the singulair, I took about 7mg of one pill about a hour ago. I hope it helps me, I don't know what else too do.

Thanks for the replys, Any other info would be appreciated

Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It did not help me at all. I prefer Zyrtec...it really seems to work well for me.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
    osmonxp
    (male)

osmonxp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    It did not help me at all. I prefer Zyrtec...it really seems to work well for me.
    Some medications like Singulair require some time (3-5 days) before they kick-in. Just keep that in mind.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

T Master,

Allergy eyes can be VEXXING! Have you tried Cromolyn Sodium (Rx)? You put a few drops in 30 min. before going outside. The med binds to the mast cells in the eye & prevents the histamine reaction. This is a preventative med & is useless after one has been exposed. For that there are topical eye antihistamines like patanol, or cortisone-based eye drops.

Best wishes.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
    misguideddream
    (female)

misguideddream HB User

I've been taking Allegra-D for a couple weeks now and it works wonders!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I took it for two months so I think I can safely say it did not help me - allergies nor asthma.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
    Tmaster
    (male)

Tmaster HB User

I'd like to report about the singulair, The first day I took it I got about 50% better overall!!! I was very surprized that it helped me so fast. Even with the weird symptoms I have. I didn't even take the full dose. I only weigh 125Lbs though. The bad thing is that it kinda made me feel like I had the flu, with a uneasy stomach and my body felt a little more weak. So if I try it again i'm just going to take 5mg.

WOW!

Elmhar, Yes i think i have tried that before, when I was having some problems with one of my eyes, I remember it helping with the problem I had. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Tmaster; 04-11-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Singulair works great for me. It is a leukotriene inhabitor, so it is different than claritin, which is an antihistimine. Singulair is meant to complement the antihistimine you take, not replace it. So for best results take it with the Claritin. I was presribed both Zyrtec and Claritin.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
    Tmaster
    (male)

Tmaster HB User

wow, I didn't know you could take both at the same time. Thanks for the info, i'll look into it

Closed Thread