It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Post Nasal Drip?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
    jj9500
    (male)

jj9500 HB User
    Post Nasal Drip?

Is post nasal drip a symptom of allergies? I wake up in the morning with tons of mucous in my throat - constantly clearning my throat throughout the day. Actually can hear gurgling going down the back of my throat sometimes. Can this be post nasal drip and from allergies? I had an allergy teset taken this fall which showed me allergic to grass. And it is May and spring season for grass. could this be the problem. Currently have really no other allergy symptoms like itchy watery eyes, runny nose, etc. Just a sneeze here and there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: Post Nasal Drip?

yes PND is definitely a allergy symptom. I hardly ever get the runny nose either.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

I get constant pnd. My throat has become so irritated it is difficult to breathe. Yesterday my allergy test negative. Depending on my xray results, he might order a CT scan, then start me on an aggressive treatment with antibiotics if needed. I don't get to see my ent till end of June. When I saw him in March, he wouldn't do a thing for me. A ent is probably more qualified to treat sinus problems but my allergist seems more concerned about my health.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Defnitely could be the grass allergy. Are you taking an antihistamine? You might try a Benedryl at bedtime since you are waking up with problems. That might take care of it.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
    noptical
    (male)

noptical HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hp8
    I get constant pnd. My throat has become so irritated it is difficult to breathe. Yesterday my allergy test negative. Depending on my xray results, he might order a CT scan, then start me on an aggressive treatment with antibiotics if needed. I don't get to see my ent till end of June. When I saw him in March, he wouldn't do a thing for me. A ent is probably more qualified to treat sinus problems but my allergist seems more concerned about my health.
    Do you get bad breath also? I have your symptoms too and I have very foul breath although my dental hygiene is perfect.

Btw, what the CT scan and antibiotics for?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
    hp8
    (male)

hp8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noptical
    Do you get bad breath also? I have your symptoms too and I have very foul breath although my dental hygiene is perfect.

Btw, what the CT scan and antibiotics for?

CT scan will be for diagnosis of my sinuses, which will be more accurate than xrays. I'm on antibiotics for sinus infection, but likethedocs say, its a hit and miss. My allergist wants to put me on a mixture of antibiotics at the same time but it tends to make a lot of people sick, especially those with weak stomachs. But I have nothing to lose, the nasal drip is already making me sick. Hope you all get better.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
    wagsy22
    (male)

wagsy22 HB User

Noptical - I have exactly what you have - PND that actually hurts my throat. Its really thick sticky mucus too. Its mainly on the right side of my throat and my right nostril has this cold feeling. This has been going on for 8 months now and started after a bad cold I had. Im on Rhinocort AQ which helps some I guess. Also, my jaw/throat muscle is tight on the right side too. Ear on the right side feels full and sometimes hurts. I think the PND is causing me to clench making my jaw/throat muscle feel tight. Going to an ENT on monday who specializes in Chronic Sinusitus. Been to GP 4 times and another ENT twice who scoped me and gave me a chest xray. Both were clear. Hope we figure this out...soon...my mucus is milky white and sometimes clear. Tongue is white. Sometimes after I eat, I can look at the back of my throat and see food that is stuck to my throat wall in the mucus. Gross!!!!!!QUOTE=noptical]Do you get bad breath also? I have your symptoms too and I have very foul breath although my dental hygiene is perfect.

Btw, what the CT scan and antibiotics for?[/QUOTE]

Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
    noptical
    (male)

noptical HB User

Yes PND is a common cause of chronic pharyngitis, which I also have and is why your throat aches. White tongue, again, symptom of pnd and sinusitis.
    Do you have bb also? It seems you have all the common symptoms.

Please let us know what your doc says, it will be really helpful to the rest of the community.

Also, check this thread: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=375202&page=1&pp=5[/url]

Last edited by noptical; 05-17-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

Hi, I also have the post nasal drip-actually mine seems to hang around most of the day, and it's been going on for a few months now. I thought it was related to acid reflux but am starting to wonder if it's a food allergy. I've heard dairy allergies can cause this-has anyone explored this??

Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
    Jsquared
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jsquared HB User

Hi Skylar,
    I too have PND. It did not start until I was told by my doctor that I have acid reflux. I think the acid reflux caused the PND. I am on Nasonex for the PND. It took about two weeks for it to take affect. When it was really bad I took Benadryl at night before I went to sleep. That seemed to help.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
    Red Palms
    (male)

Red Palms HB User

I have PND and I'm getting my food allergies test back in a week. These things take forever to get back!!! I'll try to update when I get them back.

Closed Thread