It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• 21 month old with peanut and cows milk allergie

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
    kerrey
    (female)

kerrey HB User
    21 month old with peanut and cows milk allergie

i have just been told my son has a peanut allergy rated a level 3-4 on the blood test scale and to cows milk a level 2-3. My doctor perscribed him soya milk but he will not touch it. I have found a few non dairy products at holland and barrett but thats about it. I dont really know wether to stop everything that might contain milk or just reduce his in take. As for the peanut allergy i cant believe how many products contain traces of nuts or may have been made in the same factory.

can any one advise me on what to give him and what to stay clear of on the milk allergy. Do you know if he should have milk protains or dried milk.

Last edited by kerrey; 07-01-2006 at 12:09 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to kerrey For This Useful Post:
    photogal57 (03-19-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
    tarab26
    (female)

tarab26 HB User
    Re: 21 month old with peanut and cows milk allergie

Hi there, I have just found out that my 15 month old son has allergies to peanuts/ nuts , eggs,wheat, strawberries and cinnamon. That's just what he was tested for. He had a pretty bad reaction before the tests to peanut butter, and it was only a small piece of sandwich. I know, it seems like everything has peanuts or may contain. You should also watch out for some shampoos, lotions among others. I am a member of this other peanut allergy board and it has been great, I have learned a lot. I cant help out with the milk allergy, but if you would like to discuss more of the peanut, you are more then welcome to post to me.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-01-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
    kerrey
    (female)

kerrey HB User

What sort of reaction did your son have to the peanut butter sandwich. My son has come out in a rash all over his body and he did have some swelling on his face, im not sure wether this was from the peanut or milk allergy.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

My infant grandson became very ill and was in the hospital for a while due to milk allergy. He is also allergic to peanuts. He is 3 years old now and at daycare obviously shared a cheese sandwich with a little friend the other day and now has bowel problems as a result and his little bottom is in horrible condition. They are moving to another state and will take 20 hrs. in car seat. Poor little guy will be miserable. They will stop every 2 hrs. They also have a 4 week old baby. Mommy had a c-section and must get out and walk every 2 hrs.

DO NOT give your son ANY dairy products. His little body simply cannot handle dairy or peanuts. You would be wise to eleminate ALL nuts from his diet as well as ALL dairy.

It is the "protein" in milk causing the allergy. Milk "protein" is in all milk products.

It will be difficult reading labels for a long long time, but it will be worth it. I read labels for foods our 5 children were allergic to. Now as adults they are able to eat whatever they want with no problems.

A child's digestive system most likely will be irritated/raw from beginning to end when allergic foods are consumed.

You can make many things without using milk. Use water or fruit juice in making cakes, etc. Pancakes, waffles, cakes, desserts, cornbread, biscuits, do well using substitute liquids. You can use soy milk also.

Have you tried diluting the soy milk or changing brands. Some brands taste better than others. Add a flavoring to the milk and maybe he will like it better. Our little grandson drinks:

Lactose Free Plain SILK Soymilk

Do not think that lactose free cow's milk will work. It will still have the "protein" that causes the allergy. Whey, cottage cheese, cheese products, yogurt all have milk protein.

Lactose Free cow milk is milk with an enzyme added so the body can digest the milk. Milk allergy to the protein is different.

Reading labels and learning to cook different for the whole family will pay off for your little guy. There is no need to cook separate meals for your son, everyone will benefit for a healthy meal your son can eat. I could never eat foods our little ones could not have. Their little eyes will follow every bite and drool for it. I still cook without eggs (some of our kids were allergic to eggs, 1 to wheat). When our children went to birthday parties I always checked with the hostess to find out what kind of cake or ice cream she would be serving, then, I would make a cake our child could eat in same color and buy sherbert in same color. Hostess would serve my child what I brought. As long as it looks the same color, etc. children are happy and do not feel left out.

Read labels carefully, some will note a product has been made in same mfg. as peanut containing foods. Do not use these, they are contaminated with whatever from peanuts.

Yesterday I served soy milk ice cream sandwich to our little grandson and other grandchildren had regular ice cream, all had the same kind of cake. He loves the soy ice cream sandwiches.

Cornbread is delicious using orange juice.

Having said the above, there is hope for your child. As a young adult a tiny bit of allergic food can be introduced gradually to the diet over time and the body will most likely build up a tolerance to the allergic food. This worked for our 5 allergic children.

Last edited by Misty800; 07-01-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
    tarab26
    (female)

tarab26 HB User

Hi kerrey, My son got a nasty red rash (hives) all over his faces and on his legs, arms and back, his face was swollen, his eyes were really red and a little closed, his ears were also swollen. It looked really bad, I was scared. All he ate was a 2 little pieces, at the allergist when he was tested, when he put the serum on his arm, my son broke out in hives and started to really swell, the allergist had to give him the the epi pen. I was told that he probably will grow out of the other allergies but the peanut/nut one has a good chance of being with him for life, again im sorry i cant help with the milk allergy, but your child will hopefully outgrow it.

Closed Thread