It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergy shots and Singulair at the same time?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
    Meirra
    (female)

Meirra HB User
    Allergy shots and Singulair at the same time?

Quick history.. I have bad allergies, take 2 shots a week and use Nasanex. It works pretty well. However I also have asthma which lately has been aggravated by 'who knows what now'. My pulmonary doc changed my asthma med from Advair to Asmanex and put me on 10mg of Singulair. He is aware of all of my meds and shots.

Has anyone had any problems with taking both shots and Singulair? Is it ok to do this? I can remember my family doc saying a few years ago "I won't prescribe Singulair because you are already on allergy shots" I'm just a lil worried and plan on calling my allergist on Monday but I'd like some feedback or opinions. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Allergy shots and Singulair at the same time?

Forget the family doc. Most allergists will let you take an antihistamine with your shots as a way to prevent a large reaction. I took a Zyrtec every morning before my shots for 5 years. Not a problem....listen to your allergist.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I agree. I took several allergy meds while I went through my immunotherapy series.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
    Meirra
    (female)

Meirra HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    Forget the family doc. Most allergists will let you take an antihistamine with your shots as a way to prevent a large reaction. I took a Zyrtec every morning before my shots for 5 years. Not a problem....listen to your allergist.
    Singulair is not classified as an antihistiamine that is why I am asking. And secondly my allergy doc did not give me the Singular my lung doctor did. So far the allergist doesn't know about it.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And why doesn't he know about it? Don't they ask you each time if your meds have changed? And you should tell him. That being said, allergy docs are prescribing Singulair for allergies even though that isn't what it was intended for. I go to an immunologist in an allergy clinic for my allergies and asthma. We tried adding it to my other meds when I started have allergy trouble when mowing the grass...Zyrtec wasn't getting it under control. However, the Singulair did not work for me so we stopped it. And I was on immunotherapy at the time...administered by him so obviously it wasn't a problem to take Flovent, Albuterol, Zyrtec and Singulair while taking the shots.

Last edited by Titchou; 08-13-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
    Meirra
    (female)

Meirra HB User

The only reason my allergist doesn't know about the Singulair is because I got the samples and script on late Friday and the allergists office was closed. I intend on telling him on Monday, however, I came to these boards before I started taking the Singulair to find out if anyone else was doing both shots and the Singulair at the same time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    And why doesn't he know about it? Don't they ask you each time if your meds have changed? And you should tell him. That being said, allergy docs are prescribing Singulair for allergies even though that isn't what it was intended for. I go to an immunologist in an allergy clinic for my allergies and asthma. We tried adding it to my other meds when I started have allergy trouble when mowing the grass...Zyrtec wasn't getting it under control. However, the Singulair did not work for me so we stopped it. And I was on immunotherapy at the time...administered by him so obviously it wasn't a problem to take Flovent, Albuterol, Zyrtec and Singulair while taking the shots.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

My allergist has prescribed me both Singulair and Zyrtec while getting allergy shots. It is not a problem to take them together. Of course, you should inform the allergist, but he will most likely not be worried about it. Probably the only reason he didn't prescribe it himself, is that he felt that it was decison best made by your pulmonologist. Like Tichou said, forget the family doctors, they don't know jack about allergies.

Closed Thread