HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Crazy respone to dust mites (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/419524-crazy-respone-dust-mites.html)

tordek 08-15-2006 09:47 AM

Crazy respone to dust mites

I`m suffering from headaches eye allergy and congested nose for half year already.
I`m taking antihistamine(Tried all of 'em maybe except zyrtec)
I`m getting allergy shots(I`m at the maintance dosagE)
and tried taking antihistamine eyedrops but no use!
My turbinates get swollen cause of allergy and i can`t help it !( I tried using flxonase but no use)
I`m currently getting terrible responses from dust everytime i`m getting out of the house to the train or to my office at the army.
I was passing from base to base lately but I just can`t help it, the army bases are full of dust mites and I can`t help it...
I also want to mention I get huge response after allergy shots to the dust mites(A big swelling around the injection for about 2-3 days and itching about 5 cm radius).
please HELP ME
ty.

sneezydiva 08-15-2006 02:27 PM

Re: Crazy respone to dust mites

First off, it sounds like your shot is too strong. Any reaction bigger than a quarter causes my allergy nurse to reduce my dosage. The fact that yours lasts a couple of days, is even more troublesome.

The biggest source for dustmites is in your own bed. You need to put allergy encasings on your mattress, boxspring and pillows. If you are traveling around a lot, at the very least put it on your pillow. Just doing that will help some. But the best thing would be if you can put it on your mattress also. Buy a good, high quality one you can wash, and then take it with you wherever you go.

When you are very stuffed up, it is difficult for the Flonase to get where it needs to go to work. Using a saline nosespray and blowing your nose before using the Flonase will help it get further in your nose. Even then, it takes about 2 weeks for Flonase to reach maximum effectiveness.

The eyes are the hardest to treat. What other allergies did you test positive for? During high pollen counts, I use an eyewash daily in the evening to wash the pollen out, then I use the antihistimine drops.

tordek 08-16-2006 04:19 AM

what are allergy encasings? I stopped using the flxonase cause I read it's safe only for 6 weeks or so and I don`t want it to cause any troubles.
also, I`m experiencing headaches and pain around the eyes which are caused by turbinates swelling, so I don`t wanna cause sinusitis(i read it's a side effect of the nose spra) nor any problem.
So meanwhile I use Aerius(antihistamine pills) singulair, and that's it.

sneezydiva 08-16-2006 11:30 PM

I can't post websites but just google "dust mite covers" or "dust mite encasings" They are basically tightly knit cloth covers for mattress and pillow that dustmites can't penetrate.

Also, many of us here have used Flonase for years. I've never heard not to use it more than 6 weeks. Sinusitis is listed as a side effect because Flonase opens up the sinsues and often a latent infection that has always been there is finally able to drain out. But it doesn't actually cause you to get a sinsus infection.

tordek 08-17-2006 06:47 AM

and you do not experience headaches nor any problem since you used this spray? cause I feel like hell lately and Everytime I get near the allergans my sinus swell and I get headaches ....
and also, it feels like my nose is blocked abit not too much, and I don`t really have alot of nasal.. but yet I get this turbinates swelling.
the question if it's recommended to use these sprays only for turbinates swelling ?
ty in advance

sneezydiva 08-17-2006 11:59 AM

I honestly don't know about the turbinates and Flonase. There is also Astelin which is an antihistimine nosespray. Maybe ask your doctor whcih is better for turbinates.

Does the turbinate swelling come and go or is it constant? I had a permenantly enlarged one that had to be operated on. The relief was worth it.