It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• I'm CONVINCED that this is an allergic reaction to medication... doc not so sure???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User
    Re: I'm CONVINCED that this is an allergic reaction to medication... doc not so sure???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    I've had the best luck with a primary care physician who has an MD/PhD. They are trained in research as well as medicine and generally will accept a patient who is more involved in their own treatment...they understand the search for an answer!

Really? I've had a completely opposite experience. When my shots weren't working, I was referred to get a second opinion with an allergist with an MD/PhD who teaches at a large university. He went through the laundry list of options, meds, shots, irrigation, dustmite covers, HEPA filters, and when I patiently explained I was doing all those things, and still feeling horrible, he got very impatient. My primary doctor gave me a copy of Dr. Arrogant's dictation in which he labeled me a "difficult to treat patient with low symptom tolerance" !!! ***!!? I guess if they can't treat you, it's your fault, and you're supposed to suck it up.

And yet, when I demanded my first doctor retest me--low and behold--I was right! And now with my new shots, I feel much better, thank you very much! He may have been a PhD, but I know my own body dammit.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 09-09-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: I'm CONVINCED that this is an allergic reaction to medication... doc not so sure???

Well, perhaps we connected better because he, my ex-husband and I are all Cajuns...we parlez the same language...and since my ex was on the med school faculty where this clinic is...well... I guess we all just understood the search for the science...and knew no one could BS the other...it does sometimes help to have someone on the "inside", so to speak...

Old 09-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #18
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    Well, perhaps we connected better because he, my ex-husband and I are all Cajuns...we parlez the same language...and since my ex was on the med school faculty where this clinic is...well... I guess we all just understood the search for the science...and knew no one could BS the other...it does sometimes help to have someone on the "inside", so to speak...

Yeah, I would definitely agree with that. I have a friend who is a doctor, and she says doctors treat you much differently when are are one, or related to one.

Closed Thread