It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Can I be a celiac and allergic to wheat even though it didn't show in my bloodwork?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
    GurlyGurly_17
    (female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User
    Can I be a celiac and allergic to wheat even though it didn't show in my bloodwork?

I have terrible, painful digestive issues. I've been undergoing tests for months now, and the doctors can't find the root of my problems. I have slow motility (barium x-ray took 8 hours, i didn't even finish the capsule endoscopy because the capsule couldnt make it to my colon in time) and I have HORRIBLE constipation. Yet, whenever i DO go to the bathroom, it's always all liquid. I really think that I might be a celiac and have an allergy to gluten and wheat, but it didn't show up in my bloodwork. Yet what DID show up in my bloodwork was Chron's disease, but the doctors couldnt find it in the colonoscopy so they said I don't have it. So I was wondering if there still could be a slight chance that i am allergic to gluten...gosh i crave bread SOOOOO much...i eat it all day long. It's terrible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Re: Can I be a celiac and allergic to wheat even though it didn't show in my bloodwork?

GurlyGurly_17,

Celiac Disease and wheat allergies are two different things and there are different blood tests used to detect them. But the bottom line is whether you are having problems when you eat wheat in particular or gluten in general.

I suggest you learn to read labels very carefully and eliminate all wheat, rye, barley and oats from your diet for a couple of weeks. If your digestive problems improve, then you know that it's one of those. If your digestive problems don't improve, then it could be another food, such as milk products.

By looking closely at my diet I determined several years ago that my body reacts negatively to gluten -- that is, the acid indigestion got worse after eating a meal with wheat, and was not so bad when the meal did not contain wheat. It took several months of eating gluten-free before my body felt "normal", but I still have problems when I eat gluten. I follow a gluten-free diet (as recommended by various celiac disease groups) as closely as possible. My blood test and intestinal biopsy came back negative for celiac -- that is, as far as the doctors are concerned I don't have celiac. But I react every time, even to small amounts in processed foods. So it doesn't matter to me that I don't have an official diagnosis.

If it turns out that you really are reacting to wheat (or gluten) then the changes in your diet can be challenging at first. But keep posting here and we'll help you make those changes. There are more posts about celiac in the Digestive Disorders Board.

And it is often the case that the foods which our bodies don't like are the ones that are bad for us. Sigh.

--Rheanna

Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
    thegardener
    Inactive
    (female)

thegardener HB User
    Re: Can I be a celiac and allergic to wheat even though it didn't show in my bloodwork?

Did the doctors do an abdominal x-ray which showed backed up stool? You are having the same exact symptoms that my daughter had and she had leaky gut syndrome. There is a lot of info on the web about this. Basically, the normal flora is all messed up so the gut doesn't work very well at all. This syndrome causes food allergies (which continue to increase) because undigested food leaks into the blood. Regular doctors are in the dark with this. My daughter got treated at alternative doctors and now she is fully recovered. Does undigested food come out in your stool? You are having diarrhea because the stool is trying to get around all of the hard stool that is stuck in your colon (this is what a pediatric gastoenterologist at a medical school told me about my daughter but he had no treatment or diagnosis for what was going on).

Last edited by thegardener; 10-03-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GurlyGurly_17
    I have terrible, painful digestive issues. I've been undergoing tests for months now, and the doctors can't find the root of my problems. I have slow motility (barium x-ray took 8 hours, i didn't even finish the capsule endoscopy because the capsule couldnt make it to my colon in time) and I have HORRIBLE constipation. Yet, whenever i DO go to the bathroom, it's always all liquid. I really think that I might be a celiac and have an allergy to gluten and wheat, but it didn't show up in my bloodwork. Yet what DID show up in my bloodwork was Chron's disease, but the doctors couldnt find it in the colonoscopy so they said I don't have it. So I was wondering if there still could be a slight chance that i am allergic to gluten...gosh i crave bread SOOOOO much...i eat it all day long. It's terrible.
    The best suggestion I can make is to avoid all wheat, oat, rye, barely and caramel coloring. If your health improves then continue to avoid them. It sucks.. but is worth it in the long run.

I have never been 100% diagnosed as having a gluten allergy or celiacs. But after years of problems my doctor suggested the Gluten-free diet and I have stuck with it ever since (its been about 3 years now). My health improved within 3 days. I was amazed.

As hard as avoiding some of these foods can be.. it's worth it. And you get used to it.

But if you suspect Celiacs or a gluten allergy, then the thing to do is test that theory by avoiding foods containing gluten. So do the research, read labels and see what happens!

Good luck.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
    GurlyGurly_17
    (female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegardener
    Did the doctors do an abdominal x-ray which showed backed up stool? You are having the same exact symptoms that my daughter had and she had leaky gut syndrome. There is a lot of info on the web about this. Basically, the normal flora is all messed up so the gut doesn't work very well at all. This syndrome causes food allergies (which continue to increase) because undigested food leaks into the blood. Regular doctors are in the dark with this. My daughter got treated at alternative doctors and now she is fully recovered. Does undigested food come out in your stool? You are having diarrhea because the stool is trying to get around all of the hard stool that is stuck in your colon (this is what a pediatric gastoenterologist at a medical school told me about my daughter but he had no treatment or diagnosis for what was going on).
    Hmm...I really think that I might have leaky gut. But I don't think my conventional doctor would believe me. I really want to go back to my homeopathic doctor. All of my symptoms sound a lot like your daughter's. How exactly are they treating her? How is she doing now? Did she lose a lot of weight? Because that's a huge problem for me...im dangerously underweight because of this. I'm currently trying to gain weight but my food allergies are so intense that it's extremely difficult. I'm actually trying to gain weight by eating a lot of breads and grains...but now I don't know what to do if I'm allergic to gluten! I'm not sure what step to take from here...

Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
    thegardener
    Inactive
    (female)

thegardener HB User

The first treatment that she had was to take probiotics (acidophilus, etc.) and digestive enzymes. Within two months the diarrhea and backed up stool were gone and her stomach pains decreased a lot. She continued to have constipation but it wasn't a big problem. This all occurred when she was 1 1/2. We were not lucky enough to find a more advanced homeopathic doctor until she was 4. This doctor treated her with NAET (allergy elimination technique), also known as SRT (sensitivity removal technique), these are acupressure. She had rectal ozone to try to kill the bad bacteria in her gut (she had a stool culture done). And she had PSE (Psychosomatic energenics) which is emotional issues blocking energy movement in the body which causes ill health. I know this one might sound crazy but her test was right on about her issues (one of hers was that she felt weak and powerless). After these treatments to improve her health she got her first LDA shot. She is eating everything now, no more stomach pains. I am so thankful that I found this treatment for her because this is no way to live. About weight gain, she kept her weight up but she ate enormous amounts of food. It has been interesting to see the amount of food that she eats come down over time. I believe that absorption of food is really impaired with this. As she has healed, and absorbing food better, she doesn't have to eat as much. Are you anemic? As my daughter has improved her anemia has resolved. Her hemoglobin was 10! Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Last edited by thegardener; 10-05-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
    GurlyGurly_17
    (female)

GurlyGurly_17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegardener
    The first treatment that she had was to take probiotics (acidophilus, etc.) and digestive enzymes. Within two months the diarrhea and backed up stool were gone and her stomach pains decreased a lot. She continued to have constipation but it wasn't a big problem. This all occurred when she was 1 1/2. We were not lucky enough to find a more advanced homeopathic doctor until she was 4. This doctor treated her with NAET (allergy elimination technique), also known as SAT (sensitivity removal technique), these are acupressure. She had rectal ozone to try to kill the bad bacteria in her gut (she had a stool culture done). And she had PSE (Psychosomatic energenics) which is emotional issues blocking energy movement in the body which causes ill health. I know this one might sound crazy but her test was right on about her issues (one of hers was that she felt weak and powerless). After these treatments to improve her health she got her first LDA shot. She is eating everything now, no more stomach pains. I am so thankful that I found this treatment for her because this is no way to live. About weight gain, she kept her weight up but she ate enormous amounts of food. It has been interesting to see the amount of food that she eats come down over time. I believe that absorption of food is really impaired with this. As she has healed, and absorbing food better, she doesn't have to eat as much. Are you anemic? As my daughter has improved her anemia has resolved. Her hemoglobin was 10! Keep me posted on how you are doing.
    Thank you SO much for sharing your story because it definitely sounds a lot like my own! I was doing accupressure for a long time and it was helping SO much. I really think after hearing your story I should go back to it. I'm also taking digestive enzymes and probiotics but i dont really think they are helping right now. I also got psychosymatic energetics! It was a few days ago...im really unsure about it. Did your daughter see instant results from that, or did it take a while? Because nothing has changed for me yet since i've done it. Hmm...what's an LDA shot?

Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #8
    thegardener
    Inactive
    (female)

thegardener HB User

In which city did you get the PSE? I didn't think that too many doctors in the US did this. I believe that I started seeing differences in my daughter's personality after maybe a month of the drops. Is your accupressure the NAET or the SRT? You really have to stick with this stuff. We started her therapy in July 2005. She had about 28 of the SRT treatments. My husband never believed in any of it. Most people only require about 12 treatments. We were driving a 3 hour round trip every week. I was getting a little discouraged but I didn't give up. I took her to our very skilled massage therapist. She massaged her abdomen a few times (it was a mess). After this massaging she finally conquered the SRT treatments (quit being sensitive to the substances). All of your immune cells are in your gut and I think that the massage stimulated her immune system. Anyway, she finished the SRT and ozone therapy in March 2006. We continued with the PSE drops and just waited. By July we started the LDA shots and after one shot we were feeding her everything. I don't think that the LDA shots would have worked so well if we had not gotten her health up with the other therapies. It was a long road but well worth it, be patient and stick with it. The LDA is low doses of allergen injected with a protein which like jump starts it. The theory is that it stimulates new helper T cells which then go around and turn off all of the misprogrammed T cells. Some people need a few more shots than what my daughter received and then just boosters every year or so. You can get the shot every two months and there are all sorts of things that you have to do to keep your allergen load low for three weeks after the shot. [removed] If anyone reading this thinks that she outgrew her allergies, she was tested one week before the LDA shot and she was allergic to almost all food. Good luck to you and I am so glad for the internet because this was how I found these therapies for my daughter who can now lead a normal life.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-05-2006 at 11:17 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Closed Thread