It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• alcohol and allergy???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
    KENKWIA
    (male)

KENKWIA HB User
    alcohol and allergy???

Ive been a drinking beer for many years, Im 40 now and now seem to have some issues after drinking the next day. My symptoms include: running nose and severe nose blockage, weezing, sneezing, watery ichy eyes, slight irratation around neck with some itching). It goes away after a day or so.

Ive been taking the spray Astelin and it helps but was wondering if anyone else has this? Any cure? Is it all alcohol? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: alcohol and allergy???

I have heard that people who have allergy to alcohol have problems with grain.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

KENKWIA,

You know, it might not be so much as the alcohol that is bothering you, but what it is made of. There is actually a difference between an allergy and an intolerance, and it sounds like what you are experiencing is an intolerance. An allergy includes a mass release of histamine when you are allergic to something, and if you are allergic to the product, usually you have always been allergic or always will be allergic to that product. An intolerance, on the other hand forms when you eat or drink something consistently throughout your life. After a while, anything you eat or drink daily your immune system attacks, thinking it is a foreign invader, therefore causing your symptoms. That is why it is not good to eat the same thing every single day. This is especially true with wheat and gluten-containing products (like beer), since these products are a staple in the American diet.

There are two others reasons, at least that come to my mind, why beer may be bothering you. The first is that beer contains a lot of yeast. Even a normal, healthy person can develop a yeast overgrowth (candidiasis) within their body. Beer would feed this yeast overgrowth, causing it to flare up, and causing your symptoms. Yeast overgrowth can actually cause intolerances and what appear to be allergies, as well. There are a million symptoms of Candida overgrowth.

The last thing that I can think of is that as we age, sometimes our body's ability to properly detoxify lessens. Toxins from the alcohol may be remaining in your system because bodies are generally somewhat toxic unless we eat a perfect diet, exercise, etc., since our environment and the foods that we eat are so loaded with toxins.

Anyway, this is all basically my opinion [removed]. Take care.

~Katalina

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-17-2006 at 09:33 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
    violaa
    (female)

violaa HB User

sounds like you are allerguic to allcahol try to stop for about a mnth see if that helps if it does then thats your answer

Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
    Joodee123
    (female)

Joodee123 HB User

I know this one! Beer has an ingredient called "Hops" in it. If you have a ragweed allergy, then you will have a reaction to beer. Hops is similar.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

Thanks for the info in this thread, it seems I have this allergy as well.

I used to drink quite a bit at weekends but all that stopped when I got TMJ. Around that time my throat would get really sore if I drank alcohol, the more I drank the worse my throat got. Anyway when I drink alcohol now I start to become really wheezy. When I wake the next morning my wheezing is usually even worse, I can hardly breathe. Sometimes the wheezing would wake me up at night. So I can hardly drink now, and if I do then I only usually have one pint and then some whiskey because I seem to be alright with whiskey. I am totally gutted about this because I am someone that really enjoyed alcohol.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

Hi

Try switching to Vodka, Gin or Tequilla. These are free of Gluten and preservatives. Malt is a gluten so scotch and beer are full of them. If you are still sneezing etc then you would be rare indeed! Aspirin helps with gluten intolerance.

Cheers (hic!) Hugo.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

^^Thanks, so is all Beer, lager and cider off limits then??

Old 11-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
    hugo eve

hugo eve HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rawspice
    ^^Thanks, so is all Beer, lager and cider off limits then??
    You need to eliminate different causes. Cider doesn't have gluten in it, so try that.

Cheers Hugo. (might have a drop myself!)

Closed Thread