It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• I am severely allergic to mosquito bites

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
    RitafromEngland
    (female)

RitafromEngland HB User
    Unhappy I am severely allergic to mosquito bites

I just wanted to post this thread about my recent experience with mosquito bites and wonder if anyone out there has the same reaction? I have recently been on holiday to Greece and was badly bitten by mosquitoes this time around. I have been bitten in the past quite badly but not like this. They swelled up into big blisters and then discharged all over the place. I was in a real mess and was embarrassed for the rest of my holiday with the unsightly discharging sores all over. When I got home my arm, which was also bitten, swelled to twice its size and was so hot it melted any ice packs I put on them immediately. I made an urgent appointment with my doctor and she prescribed 500mg of anti-biotics or penicillin 3 times a day with a cream and also anti-histamines for one week. She said that if I ever went to a hot country again I would have to take antibiotics with me to take and also take anti-histamines for 2 weeks prior to the holiday! I just would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this? We are not really familiar with mosquitoes in England.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Re: I am severely allergic to mosquito bites

I don't have the problem myself, but know a friend who does have allergies to mosquito bites. More likely than not you are actually allergic to the saliva of the mosquito, rather than the mosquito itself.

Something I've learned to help reduce swelling from mosquito bites is to immediately put rubbing alcohol onto the bite...it creates a cooling affect, which reduces swelling and actually removes some of the saliva from the mosquito which causes the irritation.

But in your case it's probably better to prevent the mosquito bites first. Always use a mild insect repellant when going outside. Avoid places with standing water where the mosquitos are most prominent (even bird baths can harbour mosquitos). Another trick I'm learned is to used laundry dryer sheets (softener sheets) to repel them. You can either put them in a pocket in your clothing, or for really good protection, rub them lightly over your exposed skin (but not on your face)...and they smell good!

I hope this helps a little!

Best wishes,
    -Vers

Old 10-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
    claflamme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

claflamme HB User

I know exactly where you are coming from. Over the summer my 2 yr old daughter had this happen. But I didn't take her to the dr,I don't know why. But First we were at a B-day party and she got bit by a mosquito on her knee, within an hour maybe even less her knee was 2X the size and very warm and red,But it didn't bother her at all,It finally went down a day or 2 later. The a few weeks after she got bit on the top of her foot and swelled 2 x also and again very red and warm,I could barely put her shoe on but didn't bother her yet again. But she has bee bitten in other places like her forearm and did'nt swell nearly as much. So I don't know what happened there.

Just so you know your not alone.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
    Evie4
    Veteran
    (female)

Evie4 HB User

Just wanted to share a remedy that I use that I concocted but there is actually a product made as a skin soother for use after shaving. An aspirin dissolved in water, just enough to make a paste and apply it to the bite. Don't use this if you are allergic to aspirin!

What I found is that it really is effective if I put it on immediately after I've been bitten, which I always know because it itches like mad! Not only does it keep the swelling from occuring, but the subsequent itching/irritation that comes (for another week) does not occur. I gave up on OTCs, they simply didn't work for me.

I always carry aspirin and antihistamine in my purse. During the warm season I don't stay out after the sun goes down and if a mosquito is in the house it will find me--so I have my husband trained to hunt it down.

Many many years ago, as a teenager on a trip to Italy, we visited an area by some water and I got chewed up. About 5 bites from the fingers to the elbow and I couldn't move my fingers or extend my arm.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
    andromeda246
    (female)

andromeda246 HB User

My daughter is very allergic to mosquito bites as well. She has a very similar reaction. The most important thing is to keep them clean and take all medication as you do not want a secondary infection setting in. She once had a staff infection go rampant after mossie bites. Now she lives in an airconditioned room and we have a net over her bed. I use cream with lemongrass oil in it on her always as the mosquitoes do not like it. Unfortunately, we live in the caribbean. make sure that when you travel to warm countries you sleep under a net in a airconditioned room. Most mosquitoes feed at nights. they are also attracted to dark clothing so wear white. Ba aware that f you haev this allergy you are probably allegic to more insects as well. Flea bites cause my daughter to swell as well. Good Luck!

Closed Thread