It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Dust Mites

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
    camp2020

camp2020 HB User
    Dust Mites

My son was just diagnosed being allergic to dust mites. I was wondering if anyone has this allergy or knows someone that does who can possibly help me with some questions.

Home history: The entire house has hard wood floors except (2) bedrooms (one of which is his bedroom) and the laundry room which are carpet. We already have a cover over his mattress for obviously reasons. We have hepa air purifiers in the house because our other son, one of which I just put into my sons bedroom due to this allergic discovery.

Questions: I have looked into some chemicals they have out there and wondering if anyone has had experience with them. Do they work? The first product is for the laundry to kill the dust mites and the second product I found was to actually spray on the carpet, mattress, furnitureÖ to kill them, which I see would have to be reapplied every other week or so.

Is there any other way to get rid of them or just minimize there existence? I have read a lot about this but I have found getting input from piers is very helpful and some times better especially if you have experienced this yourself. Also if you have any web site addresses for some good product/info that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
    Re: Dust Mites

My allergist told me that besides the bed covers and etc, the best thing I could do to control them is to remove the carpet from the bedroom. Absolutely. And put teddy bears and pillows in the freezer for a while.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Camp, I have quite a bit of experience with dust mites. I wouldn't buy any of those products. Removing the carpeting from his room would be very helpful if possible. I was told that room purifiers do not work for dust mites because they do not float around the room unless disturbed. Wash his blankets in hot water as often as needed. My children (pre allergy shots) needed them washed every few weeks. I believe I only wash them maybe every 3 months or so now. I can go even longer than this with my own quilt I think. I think that quilts are the least "dust mite friendly." I change my children's pillow case every other day and flip it in between. I do not need to do this with my own pillow. Remember to wash the dust mite covers also in hot water. When our symptoms worsen I wash all of the above at the same time. Remember to wash knit hats, scarves and gloves a few times per season at least. Wash all clothing when you take it out of storage. Vacuum the furniture every month or so. I throw sofa pillows and stuffed animals etc. one at a time in a trash bag and suck them down with a vacuum periodically. Get a good furnace filter and change it when it fills up. I swiffer our hard wood floors at least every ten days and wipe down other surfaces with a damp cloth. I vaccuum the little bit of carpeting that we have that often also before I dust everything else. If he wears thick pjs I would wash them in hot water.

Last edited by Sannah; 11-08-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
    James123

James123 HB User

Change the pillowcase each night.

Also, if he washes his hair at night then the day's collection of dust in his hair won't be transferred to the pillow and then breathed in at night.

Experiment with diet changes too. Every environmental allergy has a corresponding food allergy. When the system has to fight them both, we feel sick.

Try experimenting with cutting back on tomato sauce and dairy.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Buy him a brand new pillow, and put a protective cover on that too. Change the sheets every week to 10 days if possible. Besides washing the sheets in hot water, I use the De-mite laundry additve, and feel it helps my symptoms a lot. I did use a carpet treatment once, but frankly it was a bit of a pain. Now, I just try to vacuum frequently. Make sure the humidity in your house stays under 50%. Dust mites thrive in humidity.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

My sister swears by this. Her husband is very allergic to dust mites so she vaccums the mattress......seriously vaccums it. She changes the sheets everyother day..so she has a lot of extra handy sets...and she hasnt' done anything other then that. The filters don't really help and all that spray stuff doesn't work...she swears by va******* the mattress itself. Her doctor told her that was a great idea and maybe the reason why he hasn't had problems in such a long time.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #7
    camp2020

camp2020 HB User

Thanks a lot for all of your help. If at any time you think of anything else please post more comments. I am always looking for information.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User

I'm highly allergic to dust mites and I went to an allergist some years back and she told me to:

Remove carpeting from house, especially bedroom.
    Remove curtains or at least wash in hot water frequently.
    Limit the number of knickknacks in the house, since they collect dust.
    Cover mattress with allergen cover.
    Wash bed sheets and pillowcase in hot water at least once a week.
    Put pillow in freezer to kill dust mites.
    Keep closet door shut to minimize amount of dust getting in.
    Wet mop floors frequently.
    Change furnace filters regularly.
    Avoid upholstered furniture, as it is a big collector of dust/dust mites. If you have upholstered furniture, vacuum it once a week.

Having dust allergies is the pits, as it seems like all I get done is cleaning. For me, no matter what I do makes a difference, but a lot of people are helped by the above suggestions. Good luck with your son.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
    camp2020

camp2020 HB User

Thank You!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mag311
    My sister swears by this. Her husband is very allergic to dust mites so she vaccums the mattress......seriously vaccums it. She changes the sheets everyother day..so she has a lot of extra handy sets...and she hasnt' done anything other then that. The filters don't really help and all that spray stuff doesn't work...she swears by va******* the mattress itself. Her doctor told her that was a great idea and maybe the reason why he hasn't had problems in such a long time.
    But has your sister's husband removed the carpet in the room where he sleeps? Or has he just been helped by vaccuming the mattress alone?

Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 AM   #11
    camp2020

camp2020 HB User

Now no carpet in a bedroom floor makes the possibilities very minimal. I checked out laminate floors and they are costly. Now linoleum floors are for kitchens/baths and I think they would look foolish in a bedroom. So what else is thereÖNOTHING?

What if I replace the current carpet with a low pile carpet, or better yet do they make a carpet treated so it prevents dust mites?

Camp

Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User

If you think that linoleum wouldn't look right on a bedroom floor, you ought to see our one bedroom floor. When our son lived here yet and was having allergic reactions to things, it was recommended that we take the carpeting out of his room. I knew it wouldn't look that great, but it's better than him having coughing fits. All that was under that carpet was/is 1/2" plywood and we didn't have the money (and still don't) for something nice to put on top, so we just painted it and it's still like that and will probably always be like that. I'd take bare floors over any kind of carpet any day of the week. I just can't stand carpeting, as it all collects dust. I suppose low pile would be better than thicker carpet, but I still think something else would be better. I don't see anything wrong with linoleum. If it were me, I'd probably get those square tiles that are made to look like oak hardwood flooring. I think they look nice. I never heard of carpet made that's treated to prevent dust mites.

Last edited by comeonnow; 11-15-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camp2020
    Now no carpet in a bedroom floor makes the possibilities very minimal. I checked out laminate floors and they are costly. Now linoleum floors are for kitchens/baths and I think they would look foolish in a bedroom. So what else is there…NOTHING?

What if I replace the current carpet with a low pile carpet, or better yet do they make a carpet treated so it prevents dust mites?

Camp

I would suggest trying the other things first especially the mattress covers and a HEPA air cleaner, and see how your child feels. I personally have not needed to remove carpet from my bedroom. But then again, I'm not a kid playing around on the carpet. I do recall one incident where I was playing a board game on a friends carpet, and felt truely awful afterwards. So maybe if he is playing on the floor, have him do it on the hardwood in the reat of the house.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 11-16-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #14
    camp2020

camp2020 HB User

My entire house has hard wood floors except two bedrooms (the kidís rooms). A non-rug floor or non-hardwood floor would not match in my home. I guess if having a carpet in his bedroom is really discouraged then I would have to go with laminate.

Now letís throw in another wrench. What if I put my money into a good vacuum, like a dyson. Would this get the dust mites out of the carpet? Low pile carpet with a strong suction vacuum...sound like it would be better? I do not know anyone who has a Dyson though.

Thanks for all of your input.

PS. I did just purchase a box spring, mattress, and pillow covers and I put them on last night. I also bought the laundry additive and Anti-Allergen Solution to spray on the carpets and the furniture.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camp2020
    My entire house has hard wood floors except two bedrooms (the kidís rooms). A non-rug floor or non-hardwood floor would not match in my home. I guess if having a carpet in his bedroom is really discouraged then I would have to go with laminate.

Now letís throw in another wrench. What if I put my money into a good vacuum, like a dyson. Would this get the dust mites out of the carpet? Low pile carpet with a strong suction vacuum...sound like it would be better? I do not know anyone who has a Dyson though.

Thanks for all of your input.

PS. I did just purchase a box spring, mattress, and pillow covers and I put them on last night. I also bought the laundry additive and Anti-Allergen Solution to spray on the carpets and the furniture.
    I have a Dyson, and it definitely helps. But you will never be rid of them completely. And the carpet solutions do work, they just take some effort. I would definitely give those things a shot before going to the expense of removing the carpet. In my experience, the bed covers and the laundry additives give me the most relief.

Closed Thread