It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergy to Eggs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
    collinsc
    (male)

collinsc HB User
    Allergy to Eggs

Hi All

Ive been allergic to eggs all my life- It was very bad when i was younger- but nowadays (im 28) its a lot better and i can actually be near an egg!
    ive tried eating a little bit of the white, but not the yolk.

Its been suggested i have a flu jab- because i also have asthma, however i am aware that there is some egg substance in the jab.

Has anyone else had this issue? and taken the jab?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Allergy to Eggs

I don't know about across the pond, but in the US you have to sign a waiver to get the flu shot. If you are allergic to eggs, they won;t give it to you. Perhaps there is one for folks who have this problem. I don't know about that. You could check with your doctor.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Don't do it. You'd be better off getting the flu. It contains egg. They actually grow the virus in eggs or something like that. Like Ticheou said, they won't give it to you in the US if you are allergic to eggs.

I have an egg allergy that was very recently diagnosed. I find it interesting because I refused to eat eggs as a kid. I guess there was a reason why.

BTW It was my understanding the white is more allergenic than the yolk.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
    collinsc
    (male)

collinsc HB User

Thanks for your responses.
    Interesting- i may try and eat more of an egg and see what happens..!
    my doctor and the nurse basically wont make the decision- i suppose cos they dont know the answer!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Yes, it is usually the albumen (white) of the egg that causes most allergic reactions.

I'm not allergic to them but I do have an intolerance. I just stay away. Since I don't have an allergy, I'm OK to get the flu shot, but if you are, you'd best avoid it.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
    elizabeth101
    (female)

elizabeth101 HB User

I was allergic to eggs as a child and I have asthsma my allergist is telling me even though I cn consume small amount of egg that a flu shot each year is not a good idea it can actually cause the allergy to egg to get worse

Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
    collinsc
    (male)

collinsc HB User

Thanks for all the replies

Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
    mygirlsallergy
    (female)

mygirlsallergy HB User

People are not suppose to get MMR shot or the Flu shot when allergic to eggs. Also it is the Egg Whites that cause the allergy not the yolk.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
    sunflower65
    (female)

sunflower65 HB User

Hi -- I can eat eggs if they are cooked well well done. I think it is the yolk I am allergic too. Not sure -- do not want to experiment. I get the same reaction swelling, closing throat, etc from sunflower seeds. Any connection?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
    allergic2all
    (female)

allergic2all HB User

I work in a clinic and know that, in the US, they will not give many shots if the patient is allergic to eggs. I'm also allergic to eggs. I miss them. I love eggs.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mygirlsallergy View Post
    People are not suppose to get MMR shot or the Flu shot when allergic to eggs. Also it is the Egg Whites that cause the allergy not the yolk.
    I was told the reverse by two allergy immunologists and another highly respect MD. I will double check my sources again, but I know two children allergic to eggs that can safely eat egg whites.

MG

Okay, just finished checking it out and this is what I learned new! Thanks for making me question myself, MYGIRLSALLERGY.

Egg white allergies are more common in young children and many disappear by the age of five. In adults and later onset (juvenile/puberty) egg allergies it tends to be the livetins in the yolks and as a side bonus they are most likely allergic to fowl danders as well. Feather beds and downy stuff would be a no no.

This second allergy to yolks and birds my husband has... children are hypersensitive to eggs and should not have egg white until after the age of one and no yolks until after the age of 8 months. Feeding egg before this can promote the development of antibodies tot he egg whites and yolks which result in poultry allergies later on.

Two main responses will occur.. oral allergy/intollerance including nausea and vomiting, no respiratory. Or systemic - respiratory, hives.. etc. Rule of thumb when introducing foods to infants and children.. only introduce one food at a time and continue to feed on it for 4 to 6 consecutive days before introducing another. Keep a log. If no allergic symptoms occur you are good to go with that food item.

Respectfully,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 07-18-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Closed Thread