It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Washing perfume out of clothes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Washing perfume out of clothes

Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process of getting perfume out of clothes? I use perfume-free laundry soap, body soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. But all I have to do is go out in public and my clothes pick up really crappy perfume from bus and train seats, from restaurant chairs, from hanging my coat up at other people's houses, etc.

I've tried soaking clothes for several hours in vinegar-water and then washing them a bazillion times. But the vinegar destroys zippers and it fades colors quickly, and washing through a bazillion cycles really shortens the life-span of the fabric.

The only other thing I can think of is letting them hang up for several days or weeks to let the perfume sloooooowly disapate. This means that the clothes are unavailable for wearing for a looooong time. Hanging clothes outside on a warm sunny day seems to speed up the process, but sunshine is not a frequent occurence here in northern Germany.

So, any suggestions? No, Febreez is not an option. Have you ever smelled that stuff? Yuccch!

--rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
    catlady123
    (female)

catlady123 HB User
    Re: Washing perfume out of clothes

when i lived in arkansas i lived out in the boonies. there was this lady on my road that was allergic to just about everything but her worst thing was perfume and cologne. her husband couldnt even wear his. all she had to do was smell it and she got sick.
    when she went to church she suffered, the stores anywhere. she took allergy pills but the most she was told to do was put air purifiers in her home. so she had them in every room. sometimes she wore a mask over her nose and mouth.
    as for fabreeze it has a perfume smell so thats not good anyways. but put air cleaners and use masks if its too bad. maybe there is someone on here that knows more about it but this is what this lady did.
    good luck to you.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
    This means that the clothes are unavailable for wearing for a looooong time. --rheanna
    What kind of symptoms do you get when come into contact with the clothes? Do your symptoms increase when you get near the clothes, or when you wear the clothes, or just when you touch the clothes?

Do you notice that, when you come into contact with the clothes, or come near the clothes, that your heart starts to skip beats or that your breathing gets a little labored? Any dizzyness? Does it make you very tired, or even fatigued?

Thanks.....

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

catlady123,

I too am a cat lady -- I sure hope that I never get an allergic reaction to cats!

I can appreciate that air purifiers would help with air that is coming from the outside, but they don't help with the perfume that is brought into the house (either from guests or on my own clothes when I have been "out and about"). I might think about a mask over my mouth, but I would be really embarrassed to wear one when we have guests. I just try not to breathe when I'm near them, and I make sure that my coats are hung in another room so that the perfume from their coats doesn't get all over mine.

beerzoids,

My symptoms are that I get a wheezy feeling in my throat and start coughing when I breathe perfume. One time I was standing in line at the post office, doing just fine, and then a lady came in filling the air with her gawdawful perfume, and I had to put my sleeve over my mouth to breathe and I was wheezing and having difficulty breathing until she backed off and stood a ways away from me.

It's not a skin contact problem. Although, now that I think of it, I used to itch a lot before I was told that there are perfume-free laundry detergents.

--rheanna

Old 01-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
    sneezydiva
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sneezydiva HB User

Add some baking soda to the wash. It should help absorb the perfume odor.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I have a problem with perfume/fragrance also. Migraines, sore throat & breathing problems. If the vinegar or soda doesn't work try adding a small bottle of peroxide to your wash water & soak clothes a few min. I don't know about you but I've come to dread visitors to my home because of some of the awful perfumes they wear. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will try baking soda and report back on the results. I'll have to look into how one gets peroxide here in Germany -- lots of things are kept behind the druggist's counter here and you have to ask for it specially.

Yes, I have conflicting feelings when certain people come to visit -- I like them personally, but I also get anxious because I don't want to have to breathe around them. We've learned that burning candles (scent-free, of course) after they've left helps disapate a lot of the lingering perfume in the air.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Rheanna

Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
    Melissaph
    (female)

Melissaph HB User
    Smile Re: Washing perfume out of clothes

Wow - it is amazing to find someone else with this problem with perfumes. I must say that what I do is tell people I am allergic to perfume - while that might not be the strict definition of my reaction, it does help in that if visitors know ahead of time they don't wear perfume the same (obviously it is usually so ingrained in their clothes that they still smell a bit, but not so bad, and when it isn't "fresh" it seems less likely to rub off on things in our home). Visitors who are staying are encouraged to use my shampoo etc.

My latest dilemma is that my girls just pulled a teddy bear out of their old toy box and it STILL smells strongly of a horrible perfume (a babysitter cuddled it). It has been in there for over 6mths.... I have now hung it on the washing line to floods of tears (they are only nearly 2) but have washed it many times and not sure what to do to get the smell out!

Thanks,

Melissa

Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
    MN Girl
    (female)

MN Girl HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Washing perfume out of clothes

I have problems with perfume and have found a product called AtmosKlear. It works wonderful on clothes or in the air as a odor remover. Everything I use is fragrace free. Chemical scents set off Migranes for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: product names are allowed - where to buy is not - please read and follow the posting policy - we enforce it

Closed Thread