It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• 18 month boy allergic to milk and eggs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
    tebose
    (female)

tebose HB User
    Question 18 month boy allergic to milk and eggs

I have a son who is allergic to milk and eggs. having a very hard and frustrating time trying to find foods to feed him. anybody know of any milk and egg free foods???? please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: 18 month boy allergic to milk and eggs

Sorry your son has allergies. You can make substitutions and come up with food for him.

Pancakes: substitute apple juice for the milk and omit eggs. You can also use Sprite to substitute for the milk.

Cornbread: substitute fruit juice and omit eggs.

Puddings: omit eggs, use fruit juice.

Casseroles: omit eggs, substitute water for the milk.

Gravy: make water gravy.

Yeast bread can be made without eggs or milk.

Substituting may cause a change in texture but the food will still be good.

I made many flopped cakes using substitutions, just put cake layers on counter and kids ate it like it was good, no frosting either. One time I made a fake chocolate cake for the kids and when it was cut the inside was pistachio green color, definitely a chemical reaction took place so that cake went into the garbage!!

Believe me it is easier to cook the same way for the whole family than to try and cook for one child with problems. Our family did not have eggs in anything and DH and I still do not care for eggs in dishes, tastes too eggy even tho we do not have egg allergy, too many years without eggs.

Cooking from scratch is the only way to assure your son does not eat foods containing eggs or milk. It is worth the trouble. Believe it or not but childeren many times outgrow their allergies. All 5 of our kids did and now eat all foods with no problems, they are adults now with their own children.

There are many milk-free egg free recipes on the internet.

Last edited by Misty800; 03-15-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
    DreamsandWishes
    (female)

DreamsandWishes HB User

Although I do not have a milk and egg allergy, I do have a wheat allergy which is still difficult to deal with. From my experiences, I suggest going to a natural food store and reading labels. It is going to take time but there are plenty of foods he can eat, you just have to find them! There is a brand, enjoy life, that makes many foods without any common allergens (corn, wheat, soy, milk, eggs, yeast), and the cookies are excellent! Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
    okwdvc
    (female)

okwdvc HB User

Eggs and milk are very easy to substitute. For milk, use rice or soy milk. You will not be able to tell the difference when it is used in things like mashed potatoes or pancakes. Drinking an entire glass of it if you are used to cows milk does take some getting used to but a little one usually adjusts much easier then adults. They also make soy and rice ice cream. Heck, my son can even have dairy-free mac and cheese now!

As for eggs, most recipes can be substituted or just omit the eggs altogether. Water + baking powder can be used as a substitution. As for eating an actual egg, I know there are soy egg scramblers available from a few different companies. You would need to read the ingredients because they may contain dairy. My son can't have soy in addition to the eggs and dairy so I don't buy those products. Good luck!

Lisa

Old 12-24-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
    dfakhry
    (female)

dfakhry HB User

Dear
    u mentioned that all of ur five kids outgrew their food allergy, were they on medication? did u keep trying offering them eggs and milk until they got used to it? please advice

Closed Thread