It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Hives question's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
    skipa dee babe
    (female)

skipa dee babe HB User
    Hives question's

Hello,
    I getting these hive type things , my question is how soon after been exposed to an unknown allergen do you develop hives? Also can any one tell me what a autoimmune disorder is ? Could the hives be realted to that ?
    Thanks Skipa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User
    Re: Hives question's

what type of hive things? and where do you get them? I get hives on my face, neck and upper back almost every day. HOwever, i was sick a few weeks ago and didn't eat for 3 days and no hives - first time in well over a year - they feel like hives but they're kind of hard?? what are yours like?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
    skipa dee babe
    (female)

skipa dee babe HB User

Hello,
    They are about the size of a very small flea bite and i had one last night the size of a mosquito bite which freaked me out. They are in random places but mostly on thyr front of me not on my back ever , mostly they are on my chest and stomach , occassionaly on my feet hand arms and legs , i mostly get them in the morning and they sort of go away later on in the day , i don;t have any in the morning when i get up. They started out alot but now they are not as bad but i have them everyday mostly , they start out itchy then they kindo hurt and they do turn hard after i itch them. This is really starting to upset me as i have never had this problem before i'am 36 years old. Any advise is muchly appreciated , last night i got no sleep worrying.
    Thanks Skipa

Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Skipa, are you getting the hives after you eat breakfast? An autoimmune disorder is when your immune system starts to attack your own body. The immune system is supposed to just protect you from viruses, bacteria, and other disease causing organisms. Allergies and autoimmune reactions are abnormal reactions of the immune system. I would think that hives would be allergy not autoimmune but I am not a doctor.

Last edited by Sannah; 03-23-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
    skipa dee babe
    (female)

skipa dee babe HB User

Hi sannah,
    So autoimmune is different from allergies? Or is it the same thing ? I guess i'm concerned i might have some sor t of disease that's causing them and it seems strange they just came out of the blue like that. Now to answer your question ... lol i get them either before sometimes after. .
    I was thinking they were cold induced hives but it has warmed up here and i still have been getting them, so now i'm thinkimg food. I also thought maybe my pets but i went away for 3 days and i still had them < stayed in hotel >
    I was wondering about coffee maybe but i did a little mimi test and held off on coffee and still got them. It's a concerning mystery to me, doc is sending me to have scratch allergy test i believe so not sure what that will test for somewhere here someone said you test for food allergies with blood. I get so upset by these now. I see that some people say that indigestion is a sign of a food allergy and it seems i have that quite a bit in the last few months.
    Carrie

Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

There's such a condition called autoimmune chronic urticaria. For reasons unknown, the immune is too active and starts attacking itself and cause the person to develop hives every day and all over the body. It's dangerous as the person can go into anaphylactic shock if there's a lot of fluid being leak out which also causes the blood pressure to drop.

Since chronic urticaria manifest in big hives and they join together to make bigger hives, more fluid tends to leak out from the blood vessels. It is chronic and usually, there's no known cause for chronic urticaria. Some may be autoimmune which can be confirm by doing an autologus serum test. I don't think all hospitals have this test, so you will have to check.

Not all chronic urticaria cases are autoimmune, some never find the cause. Some found it to be food, but in most cases, chronic urticaria is not caused by food allergy. Instead, acute urticaria is caused by food allergy.

Food high in histamine can make chronic urticaria worse or maybe be the cause of it. So a food elimination diet could help find the trouble food but do note that this is not allergy. Another ingredient that could be 'causing' the chronic urticaria is salicylate. It can be found in fruits, vegetables, nuts but the list is too long to type here.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
    bubs
    (female)

bubs HB User

I had horrible nasty hives for YEARS. Finally an allergist attributed them to autoimmune thyroiditis. My antibodies were off the charts......Since my thyroid dose has been raised the hives are nearly gone. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
    skipa dee babe
    (female)

skipa dee babe HB User

Hi Bub's,
    Did you have to have a speacial test for that ? Or does it show up on routine blood wrok?

Closed Thread