It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Hives Making me Crazy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
    bodemette
    (female)

bodemette HB User
    Hives Making me Crazy

Hello -

I am new to this forum but am so glad I stumbled upon it. For the last 4 weeks I have had hives every single day. I had thought it might be a dairy allergy as that's what my breakouts had in common or so I thought. Saw an allergist and I tested negative.

I am on medication now "Hydroxyz", Zyrtec" and "Zantac". Yesterday I had my first good day - I thought I was getting better. This morning I woke my with Hives, mostly on my legs, some on my arms and on my cheeks. I ate a peanut butter sandwich with some tuna salad last night. Now I am thinking maybe it is peanuts.

The allergist wants to get me in to do skin testing but I cannot be on any medication so I am nervous for that.

These things are making me freaking crazy, It is effecting my home life, my work life everything!!!

To top it all of, I recently moved into a new house so when the doc asks whats changed I have to laugh. I was fine the first month in the new house but now all of a sudden. Please anyone what our your best Anti Hive Tricks!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User
    Re: Hives Making me Crazy

I get hives every day too - some are actual hives but then on my neck, i get these tiny little hard bumps? I take allegra for the itching but I think i'm going to see an allergist to have some testing done. the determatologist says it's urticaria but something has to be causing it. I've had them for 4+ years pretty much. p.s. I have a sister in Eden priairie

Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
    bodemette
    (female)

bodemette HB User

Well I am glad to hear I am not alone, In fact, I had no idea that so many people suffered from Hives. I tell you though, I sincerley hope that I am one of the lucky ones and this just goes away as mysteriously as it came becasue I am an absolute bare to be around. I don't know how you've gotton thru 4 years of this!!

I think I am going to go on a "Histamine Restricted Diet" It can't hurt.

All I know is that it is getting close to summertime here and with the way I look with these hives all over there is no way I can be out in public with people not think I have some diease. FRUSTRATING

Last edited by moderator2; 03-27-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User

did the dr. suggest a histamine restricted diet? Just curious? what do you take to calm them down ? over the counter stuff or did the dr. give the stuff to you? is yours single hives or clumps - like urticaria? are they really bad enough that people would notice them? I occassionally get them on my face but not real bad. What does the dr. think they are? what kind of dr. did you go to?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
    bodemette
    (female)

bodemette HB User

Oh lordy - they are everywhere! most look like mosquito bites, they vary in size but I kid you not, they are everywhere, it usually takes a good 24 hours for them to go down. Luckily I am able to cover them up with pants and a sweater so people at work can't really tell but soon it will be to warm for long sleeve sweaters.

I don't really do anything special to calm them down other then to take my medications, I guess I don't know what to do. I usually take cool baths when I get home from work, that helps with the itching but Its hard to look at myself with all those things..

I saw a general docter who put me on steriods for 6 days, which took them a way but then they came back. I then saw an allergist who told me no steriods! tested me for a dairy allergy and wants to get me in for skin testing.

Doctor says they are hives which is the same as urtcaria right?

I found that site on my own and figured there was no harm in trying to eliminate certain foods.

I am thinking you need to be your own doctor in a way, these doctors are content with saying "oh they'll go away on there own" easy for them to say.
    I am an emotional wreck and if something dosent get figured out I am sure I will be getting medication for depression

Take Care....

Old 03-28-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User

wow - i was looking at the histamine restricted diet and it is pretty restricted. Will you do it gradually or all at once? When you first got your hives, were they gradual or full blown ?
    My first sign was the dermatagraphism. I would get welts from pressure - like a scratch. Then i started getting actual hives but i still think some of them are from pressure - like my bra or something tight or if i sleep on a certain side of my face they seem worse there. Heat really gets mine going - if i'm warm and sweaty, i just itch like crazy. GRRRRRR

Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
    bodemette
    (female)

bodemette HB User

Hi Cyndi -

Looking back they started more gradually like yours - now of course there everywhere. I'm not sure I'll be able to follow that diet but I am going to try really hard to eliminate the high histamin foods to see if that helps, I am desperate!

How long have you had the hives? Are they everywhere like mine or can you hide them pretty well.

What bugs me the most is that now I am starting to get them everyday on my face Makeup dosen't seem to help.

What type of meds are you on, do they help? Please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel....

Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User

I've had mine for 4-5 years. The Dr. first diagnosed me with dermatagraphic urticaria. I don't so much get the lines anymore but i get hives where i have pressure. Like when i wear a blous and it hits my neck, sleeping on one side at night - will wake up with ahives on that side of my face. The worst is (i am a big gardner) when i sit on my little milk create to weed the garden, i get these huge welts (hives) on my butt from sitting on this hard plastic for hours. I get them on my back too. On my neck i get hives but sometimes they are these little hard bumps - they itch so i guess they're hives. I used to take clariton (prescription) and that quite working, i now take allegra and next time I go to dermatologist, i am going to see if there is something else. The longer you take an antihistimine it starts to lose it's power.
    What are some of the high histimine foods - guess i never tried that? It's wierd but i look back and i had surgery about 6 months before my hives started bugging me. During the surgery the anesthesiologist told me that i broke out in hives and they had to give me a different medicine in my IV. He told me the medicine had medibisulfites in it and i should stay away from them. They're in a lot of shell fish and i haven't had shellfish since. I should be tested as maybe that is what is still giving me hives (lots of things have metabisulfites in them). Let me know what you'll be eliminating.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User

What type of nutrient drink was it?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
    CheerAngel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CheerAngel HB User

I have hives(CIU) for many years, but it's better(still there though). It started with big ugly raised hives that will multiply and join together to become bigger hives. I was itching badly. I went to GP but medications didn't help much as the hives just continued to appear everyday. Finally I was referred to a dermatologist where they told me I had chronic idiopathic urticaria.

Please do not take steroids if possible as it is really bad for the health. Anti-histamines should be able to help control the hives. Sometimes, a combination of antihistamines might be needed to see any effect. Some people might just need 1 type. If you have face swellings(eyes, lips, eye lids) then you might really need to take the steroids. And in cases where you get anaphylactic reaction or difficulty breathing, doctor will prescribe steroids. There are many newer generation of anti-histamines on the market if older ones doesn't work. An epi-pen is also important for those who has experience an anaphylactic shock before.

For acute urticaria, usually it's allergies that will be the cause. For chronic urticaria, allergies are usually not the cause and finding a cause will be hard but is not impossible. Underlying infections can also cause chronic urticaria and by treating the infection, the CU will gradually be 'cured'. My mom has dermatographism and since she has UTI, I told her that it could be the cause. So finally when her UTI was treated and got better, so did her hives! Until now, she hasn't got a single hive at all.

If food allergies is suspected, skin testing is highly advisable. This will help you get/move closer to the cause. The elimination diet is hard to follow as there is a long list of food to avoid but it might be helpful in some.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
    bodemette
    (female)

bodemette HB User

Hi Angel -

I am only on week 5 of the hives so I am not yet "Chronic" I am crossing my fingers that they go away. My doctor put my on a 6 day oral steriod pack. Which took them away. After I was off they came back. I then went to see an allergist who has me on several antihistimes (Zyrtec, Atarax, Zantac) and I am also taking benadryl at night to sleep. I take this stuff daily, and still get hives! You would think that with all this medication I would not have all this histamin built up.

He wants to do skin testing after the 6 week mark. At this point I don't think it is a food allergy. I think it is related to the new house we moved into. I was fine for the first 3 weeks of meing there, then got the hives.

The house was inspected and has no mold issues but it dpoes have new carpet which could be the issue (someone on here pointed out) I am going to call a carpet cleaner and see if I can get them cleaned.

Hives is just awful, I tell you - when they go away I will never again take for granted my ability to get up everyday without skin issues.

I did order a product I sa online called Lacitrex, Could be crap. Has anyone tried it?

Last edited by moderator2; 03-29-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: please edit the quote off your posts or use the quick reply button instead

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
    kpoxa
    (female)

kpoxa HB User

Idiopathic Urticaria - yeah, that's what they say. The doctors know nothing. First time I had hives was May 2006. Lasted through August. Tried steroids first, benadril, Ranitidine, banadril ointment, Caladryl lotion, was on blant food for a couple of weeks - all in vain. Hives went away in August. No reason - I had changed nothing. Thought I was clear. Till November 2006, when again for no reason - broke up again. Right after Christmas it was gone (I was hfving a bad cold at that time - funny, did it help to cure hives?). Another 2 clear months are gone - and here I go again, March 2007 - another breakout. Suspiciously timely - 2-3 months recess - 2 months with hives. Idiopathic enough.
    A friend of mine, who had hives as well, started oral ccontraceptives - and she is free of hives for more tahn a year now. I would think it's a hormone thing, since I got my hives at 40, she is about the same age, and I know some girls who had hives while teenagers.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #13
    cyndi627
    (female)

cyndi627 HB User

Bodemette: Did you get the product that you ordered? any change? how about the histamine resistant diet? Let me know how it's going and if anything works.
    cyndi627

Old 12-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
    Rani
    (female)

Rani HB User

I totally empathize. I just moved to North Carolina from Northern California and I started getting horrible hives all over my body, sore throat, bumps on tongue and itchy welts under hair on scalp. Just horrible and very upsetting. With antihistamines and steroids the symptoms are greatly improving but how does one pinpoint and rid their home of these allergens? Never had this before. The ONLY thing that has changed in the past couple of weeks is the season. All the leaves fell then we had only just enough sprinkly rain to stir up leaf mold so I am thinking that has GOT to be it. But living in the middle of a forest I feel doomed. I wish folks who have gotten better would check in on these boards and give encouragement. I know I never check in unless I am seeking help for a current problem. It makes me want to go back and check in with the people who are suffering from things I have gotten through successfully. If anyone has beaten allergies from moving cross country I would love to hear success stories including how you did it and how long it took.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
    Rani
    (female)

Rani HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpoxa;28***61
    A friend of mine, who had hives as well, started oral ccontraceptives - and she is free of hives for more tahn a year now. I would think it's a hormone thing, since I got my hives at 40, she is about the same age, and I know some girls who had hives while teenagers.
    Just want to add - maybe we are onto something here. My hives broke out 2 days before the first normal period I'd had in 3 months. My doc took blood when I was worried about my missing periods and found out I have FSH trying to stimulate ovulation. FSH is a hormone you get in Peri menopause as well as menopause. I am 46. Maybe these damn hormonal changes are stimulating histamine production as well???

Closed Thread