It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Dust/Dust Mite and Allergy sufferer..Advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
    Sunshine797
    (female)

Sunshine797 HB User
    Dust/Dust Mite and Allergy sufferer..Advice

Thanks to the mods, they helped me get my old user name back. I've been so busy that I rarely came here and forgot my account name and password. The email I used also was not working. Then I got tied up again and was not really able to spend much time here.

The reason I was interested in coming back here was because I wanted get info and advice on Allergies. For the past year I have been getting chronic Rhinitis. I could not breathe, I was on all kinds of medicines which was not helping. I had to leave work early on occasion because I was feeling so tired and so sick that I could not do my job. I got to the point where I was fed up and looked up an allergist/immunologist. I'm currently in the testing phase and they learned through the ***** test and injections that I have a dust/dust mite and mold allergy. Here is the fun part, where I live (I moved here a year ago) dust and mold is in the air, in other words I practically live in allergy land.

When I moved in with my husband, I combined all my belongings with his in a small home. We have no room for anything and he's more of a pack rat then I am (He hates to throw anything out period). There is stuff all over just waiting for dirt and dust to collect on and it's a never ending battle. I've been getting better and have been giving a lot of stuff to goodwill to lighten the load but I wish he would work with me and get rid of useless stuff that is broken or not being used.

I try to dust in my spare time and I do vacuum and shampoo the rugs a lot. I do wash the bedding weekly but we don't get hot water in the washing machine so that's another battle. Right now I'm having a hard time getting the dust out of the couches, no matter how much I vacuum if you hit it the dust goes into the air. Any advice on getting the dust/mite free short of buying new couches?

We also have pets, which thank goodness I'm not allergic too. Our vacuum is old and you cannot get the filters anymore although it still does a good cleaning job. I'm saving up to get a Dyson Animal, I just wish it was not so expensive. I hear that's a very good vacuum for people with allergies.

I feel over whelmed and I don't know where to start. Those of you with the same allergies how did you take control and get things cleaned? I feel like I have no control right now and everything is just working against me, things that I need to work in order to get dust and mites under control.

Oh and I want to add, that these allergies have caused Asthma for me which is also being treated..

Last edited by Sunshine797; 04-29-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User
    Re: Dust/Dust Mite and Allergy sufferer..Advice

You don't neccesarily have to get a dyson. Yes its good but as long as a vacuum has a good hepa filter in it, it should do just fine. Hoover is half the cost and actually rated better than a dyson. For the dust mites you can buy dust mite covers for your bedding. There's also a liquid that you can add to your laundry to kill dustmites. I have some and it cost like $13 or $14 dollars. There's also dust mite powder that you can sprinkle over your carpeting and I think furniture as well. I think there's also a liquid as well when you shampoo your carpets. You just really have to look around for this stuff. My allergist gave me a brochure for all kinds of stuff to buy. Basically just get a vacuum with an easy to clean hepa filter, and try and find some dust mite killing products and hopefully that should help.

There's another thing you can try. Have you ever heard of a neti pot? It something that you use to wash out your sinuses. You just mix a little warm water and salt and use it to flush your nose out. It actually works pretty good. They're between $12 and $14.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Dito on the allergen washes for clothes and bedding.. carpet and furniture shampoos..

IT is a must to allergen cover your matresses and pillows! Type of vacuum.. I use a hoover wind tunnel and it works well. We have two dysons in my family as well.. don't notice much difference in after effects.

Also by a steamer.. we use a hoover as well and I wash my carpeted surfaces every two weeks. This helps tremendous.

Invest in rubber maid bins.. if he want to keep it.. he has to store it and stack it.

Throw away excess paper too.

Best of luck.. I understand the pack rat syndrome.. add OCD to the mix and thinks get really hairy.

MG

Old 05-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

What country do you live in Sunshine797?

When I said to the doctor about the mold in my bedroom he just said that it wouldn't be making me ill. I said to him that I had read a lot of bad things on the internet about how mold can be really bad for your health, but he just said "that's the internet for you"...

Old 05-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

There are different kinds of molds, and some cause more problems than others. Black mold is the biggest culprit for some serious illnesses, others cause no problems for most people. Unless they are allergic, of course (like me).

You may want to get the mold in your bedroom tested, get yourself tested, etc. Just to make sure.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
    mira258
    (female)

mira258 HB User

I also was sick with sinus issues until I started using Saltaire Nasal wash twice a day, bought dust mite covers for my pillows, mattess, boxsprings, and inside my duvet. Recenlty I added Zyrtec to the list.

Mule Team Borax will dry up the little guys in your carpet and upholstery.
    Best of luck. I went from having anitbiotics every other month for sinus infections to symptom free for the last 4 months.
    Best of luck to you.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-02-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
    Sunshine797
    (female)

Sunshine797 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rawspice View Post
    What country do you live in Sunshine797?

When I said to the doctor about the mold in my bedroom he just said that it wouldn't be making me ill. I said to him that I had read a lot of bad things on the internet about how mold can be really bad for your health, but he just said "that's the internet for you"...
    I'm in the Southwest part of the US. I just got the mold tests done yesterday and my arms where I got the needles are swollen and very painful. Molds are in the air, in the dust you breathe.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
    SimbasMom
    (female)

SimbasMom HB User

Sunshine,

Your post is similar to what I have experienced over the last three years. As far as the couch, I didn't want to replace our existing couch. So, every week, after I vacuum the couch, I throw a blanket over my side of it. I can tell a big difference in how I feel since I have been doing this. I change this the same day the change the sheets. We spend quality time on the couch in the late evenings. I can't say much for how it looks, but the improvement in the way I feel has been worth it.

Last edited by SimbasMom; 05-02-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
    Rawspice
    (male)

Rawspice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dustoffkid View Post
    There are different kinds of molds, and some cause more problems than others. Black mold is the biggest culprit for some serious illnesses, others cause no problems for most people. Unless they are allergic, of course (like me).

You may want to get the mold in your bedroom tested, get yourself tested, etc. Just to make sure.
    When you say get tested do you just mean blood tests or is there some sort test that can tell you if toxic mold has done some sort of damage to you? I have already had blood tests ages ago but my doctor can't find the results now, I'm very allergic to dust mites and I presume mold as well but not sure.

When I look at pictures on the internet all I see is black mold. I live in the UK, my doctor said it's america where they have more a mold problem. It is black mold on my bedroom ceiling but my doctor who hasn't seen it still dismissed it, and so has my mum and dad even though it's very bad to look at.

Closed Thread