It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• seasonal allergies in 23 months old?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
    paresse
    (female)

paresse HB User
    seasonal allergies in 23 months old?

Hello. For the past couple of days my daughter's eyes have been watery and swollen and her nose runny. Other than this she seems fine. I am not sure if it's a cold or allergies. Isn't she too young to be affected by them? In college I developed sinus headaches during the change of seasons. Other than this my DH and I rarely experience seasonal allergies.
    Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: seasonal allergies in 23 months old?

If a single parent has allergies there is an 80% genetic chance the child will have allergies and that those allergies will be amplified. If both parents have allergies.. the children don't stand a chance, be ready for the onset of symptoms.

Children can have allergies to things they are allergic too shortly after birth.. some children develop allergies to milk.. even the mother's breast milk. The problem with children under the age of five is the adult skin tests are not suitable and often give false negative results. In addition, the outrageously expensive blood testing is only viable for ages 4 and up. So what do you do?

Zyrtec and nasonex/flonase. As early as six months they can start in on the zrytec and nasonex/flonase shortly after 1. My son has been on that and more since he had a bad allergic episode at 2 months of age.

Best of luck to you. It is rough watching your children suffer and knowing they have to just fight through it.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 05-08-2007 at 05:56 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
    paresse
    (female)

paresse HB User

Thanks for your response MG.

I feel so bad I've been ignoring my dd's complaints about her nose hurting for over 1 month. I thought she was just playing a game. I never even thought it could be allergies because mine only affect me about 1-2 weeks a year, and did not even occur until I was in my early 20s.

Do I need a prescription for the Flonase/Zyrtec?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Yes to the prescriptions.

It happens as to wanting to ignore the signs. I wish it worked, unfortunately, my grandparents passed on allergies to my mom.. who kindly shared tem with me.. and I have thus past them on to my son. Somethings one doesn't want to share, but we can not control our own genetic code.. yet.

While you are waiting or if you want to perform a quick check before going to your Pediatrician to get a prescription; you can try OTC non-drowsy children's benedryl sinus. This will give you something to gauge her response by. If she improves then you have just confirmed allergies. It normally takes ten to 14 days for the medication to reach saturated blood levels and be at its peak effectiveness. In lu of the steriodal spray (flonase/nasonex) you can try four to six sinus rinses with a children's saline nasal spray. The saline will rinse away the irritants, but not reduce any membrane swelling.

Good luck getting your little one happy and healthy once more.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
    AngelM820
    (female)

AngelM820 HB User

I also have a daughter who has allergies worse than mine. She started with them at a young age, too. She is much more sensitive to allergens that either her dad or me.

As mentioned by the previous poster, the saline mists or rinses can work wonders. They are what has been getting me through this spring (I think they are doing more for me than the allergy meds!). Best of luck with your daughter.

Closed Thread