It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Dust Mites Allergy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
    AngelM820
    (female)

AngelM820 HB User
    Dust Mites Allergy

I went yesterday for the skin testing and found that I am severely allergic to dust mites. In the past two years my allergies have gone from seasonal to year-round. Anymore it is the norm for me to have a stuffy, congested nose. Other mild/moderate allergies showed up for me (pollens, grasses, molds), but the dust mite is the biggie. The dr. wants to try to deal with the dust mite allergy through preventative measures before considering shots.

For those of you who experience this, I could use some guidance. The allergy dr. stressed getting the mattress and pillow covers. I already wash my linens once a week in hot water and vacuum with a hepa-filter vacuum. We do have carpet throughout the house, but I'm already thinking that needs to go.

My daughter (who is 7) has suffered from allergies, asthma, and eczema since birth. She is highly allergic to cat/dog dander. Now I'm wondering if dust mites are behind her constant sniffly nose/hacking cough. I'm thinking that everything I do to my bedroom needs to be done to hers.

Sorry for the long post, but, if you any of you who have been through this have any words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. I'm a little overwhelmed by the daunting task ahead of me!! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
    jujubeez725
    (female)

jujubeez725 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Dust Mites Allergy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngelM820 View Post
    I went yesterday for the skin testing and found that I am severely allergic to dust mites. In the past two years my allergies have gone from seasonal to year-round. Anymore it is the norm for me to have a stuffy, congested nose. Other mild/moderate allergies showed up for me (pollens, grasses, molds), but the dust mite is the biggie. The dr. wants to try to deal with the dust mite allergy through preventative measures before considering shots.

For those of you who experience this, I could use some guidance. The allergy dr. stressed getting the mattress and pillow covers. I already wash my linens once a week in hot water and vacuum with a hepa-filter vacuum. We do have carpet throughout the house, but I'm already thinking that needs to go.

My daughter (who is 7) has suffered from allergies, asthma, and eczema since birth. She is highly allergic to cat/dog dander. Now I'm wondering if dust mites are behind her constant sniffly nose/hacking cough. I'm thinking that everything I do to my bedroom needs to be done to hers.

Sorry for the long post, but, if you any of you who have been through this have any words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. I'm a little overwhelmed by the daunting task ahead of me!! Thanks.
    You're right -- the dust mites would also be the cause of her sniffling and cough.

One of my kids has asthma, and it's not as bad as it was when she was a baby; but she still has it.
    We had carpet in the house and took it up. She couldn't stand paint fumes, primer, cleaning chemicals. We had to take her over a relative's house while we had the carpet removed and cleaned up.
    If she has plastic toys, such as a "rubber ducky" or some toy she plays with during bath time, dry it off thoroughly to avoid mold; wash those toys in hot, soapy water and let them dry.

Get the mattress and pillow covers for your child as well.

Check with her doctor and see if she can take Benadryl or some other allergy medicine for her age range.
    Did your doctor also prescribe you an allergy medicine?

It's a lot of work, but I'm sure you can get the job done.

Last edited by jujubeez725; 05-08-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Dust Mites Allergy

Dito on the dust mite covers for all bed and pillows. Also weekly washing of your linens in hot water.. and maybe an allergen fighter. Get a carpet cleaner, wash your carpets at least bimonthly. If you can do it weekly.. like every saturday morning.

Get allergen air filters for your HC/AC system. Also look into an allergen reducing spray for your furniture and carpets. There are those that are better than others, but the febreeze allergen reducers work better than nothing.

Other than riping out all the carpet and putting down wood/tile and sleeping on the wood or tile you just have to be as clean as you can and try and manage the condition with shots and medications.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

My bf is highly allergic to pollen, dust mites and my cats. I have to change the sheets, at least 2 to 3 times a week and vaccum and dust daily along with cleaning the 2 ionic breezes we own. weekly. The first week of each month I change the AC filter, wipe down walls and doors and base boards, shampoo the carpet wet mop the floors clean the ceiling fans wipe down the windows and window seats. We have a plastic in the shower along with a curtain and a rug that gets washed each month too. All loose rugs get thrown in the washer. I have it down to a science now and it only takes me a day to finish it all.

We have dust mite covers on the mattress and pillows too. It still is not enough. He has pills and sprays that the doctor gave him but each year for about a month he gets so sick from from the start of spring and the cats shedding that he gets really run down and really ill.

We can't use the Febreeze cause it causes me really bad migraines. The air cleaners are placee by him. He has one on his side of the bed and one at his computer desk.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
    AngelM820
    (female)

AngelM820 HB User

Well, thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I am getting busy implementing them. I am on Allegra and Nasonex but don't want to be on them forever! Hopefully, the environmental measures will work. I appreciate your advice.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
    Lunajen
    (female)

Lunajen HB User

My husband and I are both allergic to dustmites. I am far more allergic(with chronic hive, angioedema, and ashtma due to allergies) than he is and we have covered our bed and pillows with dust mites covers. And even if your husband is not allergic, you have to cover his pillow as well, if it is in the same bed as you. And your child having asthma, the doctor should have already told you to take care of any dust mite problems for her/him. That is usually one of the main triggers of asthma and most doctors tell the parents to get rid of all stuffed animals in the bed and covers the mattress and box spring and pillows.
    Ontop of the bed covers look into a dust mite detergent for your wash. I know you wash your sheets in "hot" water but if it is not above 130 degrees F, then it won't kill the dust mites. There is also a spray for the carpeting that will kill dustmites for up to 3 months and it can be used for your sofa and furniture. Unfortunatly, you may need to replace your furniture with fake leather(vinyl) and or leather sofas as well, but that is one of the last resort issues. Also think about gettnig a dehumidifier as well as a HEPA air filtration system for your bedroom or house. And replace your return vent filter with a washable filter. It is especially made for removing dust up to a certain amount of microns and you take it out and wash it once a month. It will improve the air quality in the house as well.

Good luck....

Last edited by moderator2; 05-11-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 05-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #7
    Mark Antony
    Inactive
    (male)

Mark Antony HB User

I am 23, male from Bulgaria. I am allergic to dust mites and pollen. I removed all the furniture im my room and slept on a nylon trying to see if I would feel better. Well, sorry to disappoint but even if the dust mites are removed pollen still enters the house, I HAVE to gou outside sometimes.... so even getting rid og all the funriture in your house won't help if you allergic to several different things.

Last edited by Mark Antony; 05-16-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

What we do:
    * HEPA filter on furnace (takes out pollen & mites, even when AC runs in summer)
    * professional cleaning & sanitization of forced-air ducts (a popular hangout for dust mites & often overlooked)
    * portable HEPA units in bedrooms (because windows are often opened to bring in fresh air -- loaded w/pollen)
    * change/clean all filters regularly
    * hard surface flooring
    * wash throw rug & bath mat weekly
    * washable curtains or wipeable blinds
    * washable living room furniture
    * HEPA filter on vacuum cleaner
    * lots of cleaning
    * no pets (sorry, I think this is the toughest thing)
    * mite-proof covers
    * blankets & quilts washed hot, dried hot frequently.
    * we can't use the sprays because of chemical sensitivities

I've heard that those higher-priced vapor cleaners (as opposed to the cheapo steamers like the Shark) kill dust mites on contact. That keeps the mites from reproducing, but it's possible that a dust-mite allergic person could still react to a dead mite.

Best wishes.

Last edited by elmhar; 05-16-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmhar View Post
    That keeps the mites from reproducing, but it's possible that a dust-mite allergic person could still react to a dead mite.
    The dust mite bodies and droppings are highly allergenic.

Last edited by Sannah; 05-17-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Closed Thread