It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Post Nasal Drip Question??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User
    Post Nasal Drip Question??

I am wondering if I could get some feed back on if this sounds like Post Nasal Drip or some type of allergy symptom I have been experiencing.
    I notice my nose is (always Stuffy) and I have this horrible scratchy drip feeling in my throat. And when I talk I feel the need (sorry so gross) to clear my throat of phlegm. If I do spit it out it is a clear foamy like phlegm. But the feeling of a lump of phlegm in my throat is getting quite annoying. At the end of the day my throat begins to feel sore from I guess the drip or phlegm feeling. At times I feel like I could gag on the phlegm that is how constricting it feels. But talking does make the problem worse.
    I also have some ear issues, lightheadedness, crackling sounds in ears, tension headaches, fatigue, and over all a heavy head, drunk feeling!!! I do have TMJD But I don't think it is related.
    Does this sound like post nasal drip, or an allergy problem? I don't notice a difference from the summer, winter, spring or fall. I always have it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
    AngelM820
    (female)

AngelM820 HB User
    Re: Post Nasal Drip Question??

I am an allergy sufferer, and your symptoms sound so much like mine. I have a constant stuffy nose and drainage down the throat. All that drainage eventually turns into a sinus infection. I also get sinus headaches and sometimes earaches from the fluid in my ears. I have been taking every allergy medicine available - Singulair, Allegra, Benadryl, Nasonex, etc.

I just went for allergy testing (because none of the above were working) and found that I'm highly allergic to dust mites. My allergist said this explains why my stuffiness in constant (dust mites are an indoor/year round issue). I think you should definitely pursue allergies as a possible cause for your problems. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
    RedMed
    (male)

RedMed HB User

This sounds exactly like I could've written it. I am experiencing the same problems...post nasal drip, ear blockage, lump in throat, acid reflux, etc. I was tested for allergies years ago and tested positive for tree pollen and mold. I haven't hard too many issues, but when my sinuses get filled, I suffer. Right now, allergy season is hitting hard and this post nasal drip is leaving a nagging, irritating cough. I can't take anything with a decongestant because of high bp and anxiety issues. I'm trying to make due with clarinex and other anti-histamines, but so far, no luck.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User

Thanks Everyone! I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one.
    I have tried the nasacort and really I don't think it has made much of a difference.

RedMed~ I am like you I get extreme anxiety and taking anything really makes it worse. I find sudafed PE helps my nose and congestion but I DO get jittery on it. Same with claritin and Allegra.
    I sometimes use Dimeatapp Allergy and cold but that makes me sleepy
    I wanted to mention to you have you tried the medication that is NOT suppose to raise your BP? You can find it at your local Pharmacy. I forgot the name, but they do have it. Might be worth looking into.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
    mek87
    (male)

mek87 HB User

I also have the drainage and sore throats every single day and I am allergic to dairy products. Maybe you have a food allergy not an airborne?

Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
    charlotte02
    (female)

charlotte02 HB User

I also have these symptoms and wondered if they are due to allergies. I have VERY running eyes, post nasal drip, and throat clearing so much I can hardly talk. The throat cleaing sound EXACTLY like yours Boxlover. Some times I feel like I could gag on the phelm (sp?). I thought about getting the allergy testing but don't know if it will work or not. Have you had the allergy testing done. Please let me know if you find a cure because I am so tired of this throat clearing. It is very embarrasing.

Last edited by charlotte02; 05-15-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
    jaywalk101
    (male)

jaywalk101 HB User

Wow, I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms as everyone else has been talking about. From the cracking and popping sounds in my ears, to light headiness (not spinning but drunk feeling) I've been trying to narrow my down to allergies as well, because I feel its sinus related. I thought I might have an inner-ear disorder but was told i should come to this board. Does anybody know any kind of drugs or meds that can help with this.. It seems like my mucus productions has been real heavy lately too. I don't know.. I'm gonna keep coming back to this thread and see how everyone else is fairing along.... we will find a cure!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
    Dakota_Skye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

and i thought i was all alone in MY misery. yup!! it's some sort of allergy alrigth!! same here: runny / stuffy nose, post-nasal drip, sometimes sore throat, sometimes sneezing with watery eyes (especially when i clean, so i know it's the dust), stuffy head, clearing of the throat a lot--all of these symptoms last ALL of the time, regardless of the seasons... so, when i went to my gp last week for something completely unrelated, i told her just what i wrote above. she immediately said it was allergy related. (while waiting in the office, i was also reading one of those magazines, and there was a small article on rhinitis; well, i diagnosed myself even before she said it.. so, she gave me a prescription for singulair and one for flonase. i still have to send them out to be filled (mail-in order---it's mandatory with my stupid insurance!!!). but she gave me some singulair samples in her office. i think they help a bit. oh, and i also have a cat. so... since pollen, dust mites, mold, and dander are some of the most common causes of chronic rhinitis, no wonder i have these symptoms all year round. i was actually surprised how allergies can just spring on you out of the blue, since when i was younger i din't have any....live and learn...
    anyway, good luck to all of you!!!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Seasonal and year round allergies can be treated by the following:

Allergy testing and specialized shots.
    Anit-histamine/decongestant combination: Zyrtec-D, Claritin-D, Allergra-D.
    Allergy/Steriodal Nasal Spray: Nasonex, Flonase, Astilen
    Saline Nasal Rinses (minimum of 4x daily during flare ups): Simply Saline.. and Ayr Nasal Gel at night.

It is not easy, but you can manage allergies.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread