It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Does anyone here have this as well..Chronic Hives, Angioedema, and Asthma?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
    Lunajen
    (female)

Lunajen HB User
    Does anyone here have this as well..Chronic Hives, Angioedema, and Asthma?

I want to introduce myself, I am Jennifer and I suffer from severe allergies.

Since I was born, I have been breaking out in hives twice a year tilll about a year ago. Now I have chronic angioedema that started about twelve years ago with the hives and seems to have replaced the hives. After my daughter was born I was also diagnosed with asthma, allergy induced asthma. And about three years ago I started in on rosacea. First of let me say this...yeah!! My family has no istory of asthma, but I do have a mother and two gramdmothers with histories of chronic allergies and hives. In fact my mother has had a few anaphlyatic episodes that nearly killed her, all involving food. I have no food allergens. Just Dust mites, mold, trees(all but three trees), all weeds,all grasses, pet dander, horses, and cockroaches. Cigarette smoke will trigger an asthma attck and any cold will do me in. I go on at least six to seven rounds a year of predinose for either my asthma or angioedema.

I currently take Zrytec,Singulair,Zantac(for the hives),flonase,plumacort, and benadryl daily.

What I want to know is if anyone out there has anything similar to this and how they are coping with it. I have been tested for both thyroid problems and lupus. My thyroid is fine but I did test positive for ANA(anti nuclear antibody). I don't know what the tether was but the doctor I am seeing said that I didn't test positive for the other two Lupus tests and he hdidn't think I had Lupus.
    I just feel like I am in limbo. If I go outside, and try to do any work in my yard, I swell. It is usually localized to my hands, feet and they back of my shoulders and neck.Sometimes I will get swelling of the lips. And occasionally swellingof the tounge and throat. My joints usually swell as well. Of course I used to get the severe stomache and intestinal cramping but the zantac has helped that.
    The swell is mild but still is enough of a problem. I feel like I have mild arthitist all over and makes it hard to do things, just trying to open a jar of something becomes hard. My muscle will get fatigued due to the swelling sometimes too. And alot of the time the only thing to help is either steroids or benadryl.
    It is starting to make it dificult to work. I recently had to cut back to part time work and and husband is trying to get me to find different full time job.

What I want to know is there anything more for this problem other than allergy meds?

And does anyone have this as well and how are you coping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Does anyone here have this as well..Chronic Hives, Angioedema, and Asthma?

Severe allergies across the board, on all allergy med's, rosecea, contact dermatitus and severe exzyma.

What have I done to control things?

Took all allergies tests, scratch subdermal injection, blood, and week long contact study.

After identifying my allergies eliminated as much from my environment as possible. Had allergy shots, and ENT based sinus surgery for chronic and allergic rhinitus.

If you have not have allergy shots.. do them. If you have not had teh contact allergy testing do it. They may be something you are using in a lotion, deodorant, etc.. every day keeping your immune system in overdrive. Now that i am able to avoid the majority of the contact allergens.. have cleared out most of my sinus membranes, yanked my tonsils and adnoids.. I am doing well. Now I have flare ups much less frequently and i can get them under control quickly.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
    Lunajen
    (female)

Lunajen HB User

Well, I have had the skin test and the subdermal tests. I have had several blood tests and right now I am on themedication and see my doctor every six months. I also had the shoots for two years and had to quit. I lost my health insurance for a while but have some now. But the doctors don't think that the shots seemed to helped any. I just want to go outside and not suffer for week afterwards.

But thanks ofr the other information...defintely will look into some of that information.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
    Lunajen
    (female)

Lunajen HB User

But I would like to know what is a week long study like? Would I be in the hospital for a week for observation and tests?

Last edited by Lunajen; 05-11-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Yeah my nemesis were preservatives and emulcifiers and nickle and cobalt and iodine.. why? Who knows but avoiding the propylene glycol and formaldehyde producing agents did wonders. You would be suprised at all the contains propylene glycol. Breads, preserved meat to deodorant and all your shampoos and lotions. It was a treasure hunt finding propylene glycol free toiletries.. I refused to stink.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
    littlemama1016
    (female)

littlemama1016 HB User

My husband has been suffering from hives for almost 3 months. I posted when I first signed up here looking for more info for him. ANyway,long story short, he's had them consistently and has now started swelling. He's done the thyroid tests and although his levels were low, they were not ridiculous or anything. He had a biopsy done last friday and we are waiting for the results. The endo has mentioned that his thyroid did look irregular and that it is possible the hives were caused by the thyroid, but we're not sold on that idea yet. He also mentioned angioedema b/c of the few experiences he has been having with swelling. So, he's also taking zyrtec, tagamet, levothyroxin, vistaril/atarax and benadryl as needed. So, I COMPLETELY sympathize with your situation.My question is how are you still getting the hives/swelling now that you are on that meds and if so,how long have you had them? In other words, has it been years that you have suffered continuously or have they been on and off?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Missed answering one of you questions to me..

The week long study is out patient.. you have various substances placed in small metal dishes (1.5 cm little pizza pan looking dishes) and taped to your back.. over sixty of them.. you wear it without washing your back for 48 hours.. then remove the tape and dishes.. then you go another two to three days and they check for additional spreading or new allergy developments.

My study was as follows: Basically, I went in monday morning and the allergens were prepared and applied at my allergist office. Wednesday the tape and allergen sources were removed and the sites reviewed at my dermatologists. Friday was the final determination of allergen substance reactivity for me at my allergist.

Also for the study to work and not be biased in anyway... You had to be off you allergen meds for a week (5 days) before doing this study and couldn't take any medication or wash your back during the study. Also no medicated or steriodal creams on the back during the study. It was a miserable and itchy time. But my skin is better than it has been in years.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 06-05-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Closed Thread