It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Can Allergies come on at any age?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
    panthers78
    (male)

panthers78 HB User
    Can Allergies come on at any age?

Just wondering..can allergies come on at any age?
    Reason I am asking is I have been having trouble with throat/breathing this past month. I have been to a doctor to diagnose me..they could not come up with anything..they put an endoscope down to check my throat..no visible tumors etc..nothing really out of the ordinary..my throat has been extra sensitive and I have gotten red eyes (something I only usually got when I was around cats)
    I am near Pittsburgh PA. I noticed a large difference today when I didn't go outside and used my HEPA Air filter (take all of the pollen, dust, nold out..haven't left my room yet and am feeling better.

I am 28, going on 29..
    Can allergies to the outdoors come on all of a sudden? As I have said, nothing ever set it off before other than cats..

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
    Mora
    (female)

Mora HB User
    Re: Can Allergies come on at any age?

OH YES! I never had any allergic symptoms until I was 23. Then all heck broke loose. Eyes were ichey and could no longer wear contacts. Eye Dr. said go to the allergist. Went there for testing and had big time reaction to dust and yeah it sounds gross "vacuum cleaner bag contents". That was 12 years ago. I presently take Singulair tab. and Nasonex. I did go last year for another "scratch" test with a new allergist. Results are still the same. I can't go more then a day or two without taking my medicine. Go to an allergist and satisfy your curiosity. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
    panthers78
    (male)

panthers78 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mora View Post
    OH YES! I never had any allergic symptoms until I was 23. Then all heck broke loose. Eyes were ichey and could no longer wear contacts. Eye Dr. said go to the allergist. Went there for testing and had big time reaction to dust and yeah it sounds gross "vacuum cleaner bag contents". That was 12 years ago. I presently take Singulair tab. and Nasonex. I did go last year for another "scratch" test with a new allergist. Results are still the same. I can't go more then a day or two without taking my medicine. Go to an allergist and satisfy your curiosity. Good luck.
    Quick question.
    Are those over the counter?
    The reason I am asking is I am not sure if my boss will let me take time off since I have to go for two GI tests in the next week or two. Can a PCP prescribe those for me?

Old 05-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, they are prescription. You might try a benedryl at night (it maked you sleepy) and a saline spray...Ayr, or something like that. If that doesn;t work, you'll need a doctor to prescribe something...I suggest Zyrtec.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
    Shirley M
    (female)

Shirley M HB User

Yes,Allergies can start at any age, mine started suddenly when I was pregnant for my 3rd child. Over the years I have gotten many more allergies .
    Hugs Shirley

Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
    Nance77
    (female)

Nance77 HB User

Hi Jim:
    I live in Northeastern PA (Pocono Mtns.) and the pollen and allergies here are very bad right now..They said it has been the worst in a long time...My allergies are driving me crazy right now...I always get spring allergies from the pollen, but I never had any problem with them until I was in my late 20s..
    I am now 40, but since I started getting them, I have gotten them every spring now....Last year was not bad at all for me, I only took medication maybe one time..This year, for the past almost 3 wks, I have been taking Benadryl everyday, Zicam allergy gel, and the Visine allergy drops for my eyes....
    So for me, they did just start in my late 20's so it is possible, and with the high pollen count right now in PA, it could be affecting you...
    I have the itchy, red eyes, itchy throat, coughing, sneezing, runny and stuffy nose....If I stay inside in air conditioning it is better, but as soon as I go out and am around the grass and trees, it starts..
    Nancy

Closed Thread