It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Singulair?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
    Brando46
    (male)

Brando46 HB User
    Singulair?

Anyone try Singulair? How it did work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Singulair?

I've been on Singulair for about 2 1/2 years. I take it as an addition to my allergy and asthma medications to get better control of the symptoms for both. It has worked very well for me for this purpose. I am not sure how how well it would work on its own.

FYI: The other allergy medications I take are: Allegra, Flonase & Astelin. For asthma I also take Advair 500/50 and Albuterol (as needed).

Old 07-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

I'm on Singulair as well. Haven't really noticed a different. Also on Zyrtec, Advair and Cyproheptidine. Oh, and its been a year now since beginning my shots and all of this medicine. I used to find relief with Zyrtec, but now that I take all this, not really. Also, I am allergic to dogs and cats and now my pets do not stay indoors with me yet I still have the symptons constantly.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
    blklagoon1
    (female)

blklagoon1 HB User

I am now taking Singulair for allergies. I have been on it less than a week. I can say it's not helped a lot yet, but I have noticed less pressure in my head. Your symptoms have sounded very close to mine, and I see you are now going the antidepressant route- well it's been suggested to me that I take antidepressants as well because of the months of dealing with allergies. My allergy symptoms (pressure, feeling just weird, tired, nasal congestion, but no sneezing, itchy eyes or anything like that) have made me develop pretty bad anxiety. I take a Lorazepam or two a day (since June), Flonase (doesn't seem to do much), and now the Singulair. I have also developed some acid reflux (which I read can be related to allergies). I was wondering- what exactly are you allergic to and have you found relief yet? I am having skin tests done in a couple weeks.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
    ethansmom06
    (female)

ethansmom06 HB User

My 16 month old son has just started taking Singulair, I am slightly worried about putting him on meds so young, are my fears warranted?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
    KyleG
    (male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User

i took singulair and it made my feel really bad. I had REALLY bad i mean REALLY bad headaches and constant pressure that felt like my head was being crushed. Once I stopped taking singulair it slowly went away.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
    Amy26
    (female)

Amy26 HB User

Singulair also did not agree with me. The worst symptom I got from it was ear infections. Very painful ones...I didn't realize that it was the singulair giving me the ear infections till I saw a commercial for it and when it went through the multitude of side effects at the end of the commercial it said ear infections... and I was like... oh... not taking that anymore lol.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
    Jess124
    (female)

Jess124 HB User

My doctor just prescribed it for allergies but after searching online about side effects I will not take it-do a little research before you try it!!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
    HHJ
    (female)

HHJ HB User

I have been taking Zyrtec D for many, many years and could not function without it plus Nasacort, Singulair and Topomax (and Immitrex). My 8 year old takes Claritin and Singulair (since he was about 3?) and my 3 year old takes Claritin. I don't think I'd put a 16 month old on Singulair. I don't think I'd put a 16 month old on anything. I didn't think you could put a child younger than 2 or 3? on Singulair. Back to the original post....I don't really know why I take the Singulair all the time. It only seems to help when my allergies get at their worst. A couple of times a year I get laryngitis. This is when the Singulair helps. I do have bad migraines all the time, but I don't know if it is from the Singulair or not. My son doesn't complain of any side effects.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
    kjackson227
    (female)

kjackson227 HB User

To KyleG:

Even though my g-daughter has been on Singulair for a while now, she is beginning to get bad headaches and dizziness. When I took her to see her pediatrician, she said that Singulair could be the cause. Other patients of hers started getting headaches from Singulair (her husband included), also.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
    dizzymommy
    (female)

dizzymommy HB User

My son is two and takes singulair along with pulmicort and albuterol (when needed). He has been much more extreme in his behavior (throwing big fits where he just can't calm down and getting very upset over the littlest thing). I don't know if it's one, the other, or the combination of meds. He's on for asthma and allergies. If they need it for asthma control, I'd say try it and see. Not breathing is worse than some side effects. If they need it for allergies, I'd have them tested and see if you can control through other means and/or medicines. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

My allergist put me on it a few years ago. It did not agree with me at all. I didn't get the headaches/dizziness that others describe, it hurt my stomach! I could feel food hitting my stomach. When i went to my homeopathic doc/chiropractor i told him.. this is the only thing that has changed. He said that it can affect the liver/gallbladder on some people. Within a couple of days of not taking it, i was much better. Sad though..it did help the allergy/sinus stuff.

Closed Thread