It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Anyone have MODERATE allergy symptoms?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
    Alex24
    (male)

Alex24 HB User
    Anyone have MODERATE allergy symptoms?????

I have just had my tests completed and have level 3 (out of 4) allergic reactions to cat, dog, 4 types of molds. However, besides having clogged nose....I have chest pressure....sometimes feels like shortness of breath. Has anyone out there experienced this reaction. And if yes, what did you do to get rid of it. If have been tested for heart, lungs problems and those tests were negative. One Dr. thought I have acid reflux that causes it, but I am not sure I believe him. My allergy Dr. says yes this can occur and wants me to take the series of shots over......months!!! I personally am not sure this is the right course to persue. Anyone have simlar experiences...taken the shots....and solved the problem.. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Anyone have MODERATE allergy symptoms?????

A little more info, please. Are antihistamines not working for you? Which ones have you tried? With the cat and dog allergies, I strongly suggest Zyrtec. And have you tried anything for the reflux? It can certainly cause this type of pressure and shortness of breath.

With the few allergies you have, I'm not sure the shots are worth the effort at this point. And it's not months, it's years - 5 is the normal regimen. So that's quite a committment for this. If you try the various meds and they don't work, then maybe shots are the best route.

As for myself, I was allergic to all the standard allergens tested for here...and all at a 3 or higher (with most being 4 plus!). I've been this way all my life (61 years). I've done the shots 3 times (teens, 30's and 50's) as they don't last forever and allergies do change (Dogs used to be my worst and now they are way down the list...cats were #2 the last time I had the testing).

So, bottom line, I'd work my way thru the meds and see if you can get a combination to work for you rather than try the shots right now.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
    Alex24
    (male)

Alex24 HB User

Yes I am on Astelin spray and Clarinex-D tablets. They clear up my sinus but do nothing for the chest pressure and shortness. I also am taking Aciphex for the reflux, but apparently that is not my problem. Question, if a person gets away from the causes of their allergies, how long does it take to not have symptoms. I am going on a cruise for 9 days, no cats or dogs, hopefully no household mold. Should I improve if allergies are the cause???

Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It all depends. Some of the people on board will have pet dander on their clothing (you aren't fully dressed without cat hair on your clothes - at least at my house!). And there will be some mold...can't help it in bathrooms on boats that go to hot, humid climates. So it is hard to say if you'll be any better off or not. If you tested negative for asthma and other lung issues, then the SOB has to be allergy or digestive related.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
    Alex24
    (male)

Alex24 HB User

Titchou....thanks for the info. Will let you know the results after the cruise. Man I really need that cruise. Thank god I am not allergic to booze!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Have a great time and let us hear when you get back.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
    Alex24
    (male)

Alex24 HB User

Well back from my cruise...it was great. Absolutely no chest problems what so ever. I ate at the second sitting 8pm every night for 9 days and forgot to take my aciphex a couple of times....no problems at all. So I am ruling out acid reflux as my problem. I was using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea which I also thought might be causing the problem (sorry I forgot to mention that in my previous posts). However, when I got home I went to my daughters house (dog sitter) and would you bet I started to feel some chest funnies....guess I know what is the problem. Now my question is.....get rid of my dog (love her so much) or start the forever shots. Tough choice....but I certainly don't like struggling to breath. Anyway its been a long search to find the culprit, but I think I am finally there. Thanks for the feedback from the forum...it has ben very helpful.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hmm...shots should only be for 5 years....not forever! And you should get relief from them in 6 months or so...maybe antihistamines can control it enough till then. And take one the morning of your shots...

Closed Thread