It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Allergy Test Was Negative Why Do I Have...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User
    Allergy Test Was Negative Why Do I Have...

I have sinus pressure in my face and left side of my head that comes and goes. I also have fluid in my right temple, complete loss of appetite, dizziness, and just feel plain sick. Anyone? I have no allergies or sinus infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
    Forensicmom
    (female)

Forensicmom HB User
    Re: Allergy Test Was Negative Why Do I Have...

How long have you had these symptoms? How do you know you don't have allergies?

I have a lot of those same symptoms that happen off and on throught the year, however they're almost constant from August to October (3 years in a row now). They did allergy testing, which came back negative, but I know I have allergies to something. I have sinus pressure, itchy eyes, sneezing, headaches and dizziness.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

I did a allergy test yesterday and it came back negative. Its causing me to have anxiety attacks as well. Mine came on in August too, started with post nasal drip and Ive been like this since.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Guy, was your allergy test just a scratch test or did they also inject some allergens into your arm?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

There is also the possibility of vasomotor rhinitis being the source of your issues. As a result you would have a neg allergen test, but still all the allergen responses with weather and pressure changes, temperature changes, pollution fluxes.. etc.

Sinus surgery has helped in many cases. It helped me 100 fold. But I tried everything else first and found out I had an AI - Hashimoto's after the fact. There are many things that can do what you are feeling. So you have to rule them out one by one.

You have made sure it is not a fungal or bacterial infection.. if I am remembering your ENT board posts correctly. This can be done, by sinus muck cultures most accurately. But empirically you can determine it by the fluid appearance on CT and MRI scans.

You have done the scratch tests for allergies at least. There are two others to consider and discuss with your allergist. 1) The injection/blood serum testing for food and pollens and molds and dander. 2) Contact dermal allergy testing. This is a week long high annoyance back irritating test. It told me many things and was a safer way to confirm my iodine, cobalt, and nickle allergies.. which are nasty.

Then there is the thyroid and autoimmunological issues. I know you have a thyroid issue and it could be the source of your angst. When the meds are off even a little some people have more severe reactions than others.

I wish I had an answer for you. I hate that you are suffering. Have you talked with your allergist about the vasomotor rhinitis condition. Are the nasal turbonides inflammed in your CT/MRI scans? If yes. The a bilateral turboplasty is the least invasive ENT surgery that you can have performed. I was up to running full steam 12 hrs after my surgery.. just had to make saline sprays my friends for a few weeks.

Any of this help? Give you something to go after?
    Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 09-14-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Yeah I did a scratch test for allergies which was all the mold, dust, pet, food etc. All came back negative. He said he wants to do blood work on me which will be in 3 weeks. He feels that anxiety is most of my problem which I can say I do have since I have not gotten better. But besides that, how can I have fluid in my temple, facial pressure etc. Anxiety doesnt cause fluid. On top of that all this came about when i had to come off my thyroid meds. It started with severe post nasal drip. Anxiety doesnt cause post nasal drip, im sorry. Sooooo I will be seeing my ENT this Tuesday. But my CT scan was on my sinuses which showed no infection. I took antibiotics for 7 days cause my doc thought it was bacterial. How do you know if its fungal? The only other weird thing ive had was green spots the size of a dime on my tongue? I had that for a day and then the next day the post nasal drip set in. My thyroid is almost back to where it was to rule out if thats the cause. I also have started lexapro for anxiety which will rule out that. So if this persist with all that in check, you cant say either of the two is the cause.

Oh my new symptom today is when i swallow, my ears are popping.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Guy, our allergist told us that only 25% of people respond to the scratch test. Our allergist starts out with the scratch test and if you don't respond to that he steps up the test to injecting the allergens in your arm. My daughter did not respond to the scratch test AT ALL. She responded to cats, mold, and dust mites when they were injected into her arm.

Ears popping is a classic allergy symptom!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Thanks for your help Im going crazy trying to figure this out. So hopefully I get to the bottom of this.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

The only way to determine if the infection is fungal is to have you ENT go all theway up in you sinus cavity capture the fluid and muck and culture it. This will allow you to detemine if it is a fungal infection or an antibiotic resistant infection. Seven days is not the standard antibiotic treatment give for sinus infections by ENT's. SInus infections are dark cavity infections that have low blood flow and require long term antibiotic treatment. Most cases need a minimum of 14 days... often a maximum of 28 days is required.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

well I just had another ct scan done and also went over the scan with my ENT. Nothing was on the pictures that made him think that. Maybe my thyroid was way out of whack from coming off it for a month.

Closed Thread